• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2013 BMW Dealer List POI US Garmin

waxrash

2013 BMW Dealer List POI US Garmin (Updated with 2015!)

NOTE: I have updated the list for 2014. See below post 23 for 2014 upload.
NOTE: I have updated the list for 2015. See below post 41 for 2015 upload.

Apologies if someone already sent this out but I could not find it anywhere. I wanted to update my GPS with BMW dealers to prepare for an upcoming trip across country.
I pulled the BMW dealer list from BMW, it was dated March 2013, then spent a couple hours adding the GPS coordinates.

Attached you will find a ZIP file with every file type I could think of: CSV, GDB, GPI, GPX, XLS, POI, etc.

Here is the procedure if you don't know how to load this file on your Garmin custom POI list.

1) Extract the attached ZIP file onto your hard drive.
2) Download and install the Garmin POI Loader from: http://www.garmin.com/us/maps/poiloader
3) Run the POI loader
4) Choose "Garmin Device"
5) next
6) Select your GPS
7) next
8) Choose "Install the New POI's onto your device"
9) Browse to the folder where you extracted the ZIP file
10) Browse to the "US BMW Dealers March 2013" folder (There is only ONE CSV file in the folder).
11) Enter "US BMW Dealers March 2013" into custom POI File name (should auto fill)
12) Click "Next"
13) You should see that 139 custom POI's were loaded
14) On my Zumo's you can access POI's at "Where to" -> Extras -> Custom POI's

If you have a BMW branded GPS this WILL NOT replace the BMW Dealer app or associated list. I didn't want to mess with that list, so I just added under Custom POI.

I of course only checked 1/2 dozen dealers but the list seemed right.

Feedback welcome.

Note: Yes I know you can just copy the POI onto your device, but many people aren't comfortable doing this, so I gave the full procedure to run Garmin software to update their device.

Note 2: You can also import the GPX file into your BaseCamp software, or the GDB file into mapsource. Your Choice.

Lynn

Attachments

• US BMW Dealers March 2013.zip
    100 KB · Views: 817
Last edited:
I have POI loader, but have not used it for a long time.
Can I just copy the GPX file to my Garmin? GPX is the file type I use for routes on my Nuvi 550.
Thanks for updating the list. My list is 3 years old.

I can't really speak to the Nuvi, but it will probably work.
I use the POI list because, no matter where I am, I pull up the Dealer POI list and it lists them in distance from me order.

I have had one occaision, where my mental geography told me to look in the current state, however, the closest dealer was in an adjacent state near the border.

I think you can also just put the gpi file in \Garmin\POI and power cycle the unit.

I have POI loader, but have not used it for a long time.
Can I just copy the GPX file to my Garmin? GPX is the file type I use for routes on my Nuvi 550.
Thanks for updating the list. My list is 3 years old.

FYI - don't know if anyone would be interested but Garmin provides a lifetime update service for < $100 that provides regular updates to maps, software, graphics, etc. I've been using this service for a couple of years on both a Garmin NUVI and my Motorrad Navigator IV. Just google it.

I can't really speak to the Nuvi, but it will probably work.

I used the POI Loader. I forgot how easy that tool was to use after someone goes to all the work of making the file.
Thanks again for providing the updated list.

Dealer POIs

Thanks for your efforts. I noticed my Navigator IV still has BMW of Santa Cruz and the wrong location for BMW of Fresno. This is a 2 year old GPS that I keep up to date on Garmins express program. Your collection will be far more reliable than what BMW provided.

BMW should make updates to their dealer list for the Navigator at least once a year. How about it BMW?

FYI - don't know if anyone would be interested but Garmin provides a lifetime update service for < $100 that provides regular updates to maps, software, graphics, etc. I've been using this service for a couple of years on both a Garmin NUVI and my Motorrad Navigator IV. Just google it.

I bought mine from Amazon. $53.85 http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-n%C3%BCMaps-Lifetime-America-Updates/dp/B001PKTFM8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1365804975&sr=8-1&keywords=garmin+lifetime+maps

BTW, if I had it to do over again, I would not buy the BMW branded units. Garmin almost never updates software on those.

I bought mine from Amazon. $53.85 http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-n%C3%BCMaps-Lifetime-America-Updates/dp/B001PKTFM8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1365804975&sr=8-1&keywords=garmin+lifetime+maps

BTW, if I had it to do over again, I would not buy the BMW branded units. Garmin almost never updates software on those.

I'm not sure what you mean. I have a Navigator IV which includes lifetime map updates. When you update maps the latest software is automatically updated too. I use the same map updates for my Nuvi 1450. I like the feature on the Navigator having a Motorrad button to quickly find BMW dealers. Speaking of updates, I noticed that Garmin's latest version for North America is Jan NT 2013.40. They normally make updates to maps every 3 months or so.

Schlossmann's is in there - Thank you.

Thank you for providing this list. Just the other day I used my current Zumo to direct me to Schlossmann BMW and it mapped out their previous location. I just checked your file and was happy to see their current location, Schlossmann BMW Motorcycles of Milwaukee,www.bmwmotorcyclesofmilwaukee.com,12011 W Silver Spring Dr,Milwaukee,WI,53225-0000,414-358-2465,43.116932,-88.06205.

Thanks for the work on this and providing to the membership.

Great Help...Thanks

This really helps. Thanks for all the time it took to put it together and for sharing with your fellow MOA's.

I'm not sure what you mean. I have a Navigator IV which includes lifetime map updates. When you update maps the latest software is automatically updated too. I use the same map updates for my Nuvi 1450. I like the feature on the Navigator having a Motorrad button to quickly find BMW dealers. Speaking of updates, I noticed that Garmin's latest version for North America is Jan NT 2013.40. They normally make updates to maps every 3 months or so.

But would an update from Garmin also update the dealer list in a BMW Navigator? Either way, the update in the original post is great and thanks for doing it. I installed it in my Zumo 220.

But would an update from Garmin also update the dealer list in a BMW Navigator? Either way, the update in the original post is great and thanks for doing it. I installed it in my Zumo 220.

I'm not sure. What I did find out that when I hit the motorrad button to find the dealer in Missoula, MT last summer I ended up in a residential neighborhood with no dealer in sight. I used this list here this morning on a zumo 665, and it took me right to Foothills BMW in Denver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I pulled the BMW dealer list from BMW, it was dated March 2013, then spent a couple hours adding the GPS coordinates.

Lynn

Lynn, I take it you went from a BMW dealer list on paper using the addresses to then determine the GPS coordinates. Am I right?

A long time ago, I did the same for BMW dealers in Austria, Germany, Switzerland and a few in Italy and France. Talk about work!

You'd think if anyone could keep a BMW dealer list up-to-date, BMW (country) could.

I guess that's something that I never gave much thought to, but now I am curious about who's job is it to provide updated information for the POI's (and Motorrad shops for that matter) for Garmin. For instance, if you open a pizza shop somewhere how does Garmin get that information?

I started with the PDF dealer list you can download from BMW NA. I massaged in excel, then used a web tool to convert addresses to coordinates. Then massaged into POI format.
Not too painful.

Back