• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Salty fog riders rally 2012

Delicious!! :thumb
lobster.jpg

....that's a very special breed of lobster up here...... the Praying Lobster.

(pictures are being prepared so a Ride Report will be coming soon in a new thread :dance) - Bob

Oh...

So some hit the pot in that posture! Just a few hours before ol'e Nick was having
one at Rita's tea hut in the "roll position"... stuffed tidy & tight! He reported that
"lobsta-roll" was among the better he's had before feasting on Rita's pie....
coconut I believe! Man goes through some seafood.

three bowl john... two time salty veteran; not enough yet!
"breathing is easy... living takes effort"
04R1150R

So some hit the pot in that posture! Just a few hours before ol'e Nick was having
one at Rita's tea hut in the "roll position"... stuffed tidy & tight! He reported that
"lobsta-roll" was among the better he's had before feasting on Rita's pie....
coconut I believe! Man goes through some seafood.

three bowl john... two time salty veteran; not enough yet!
"breathing is easy... living takes effort"
04R1150R

Good stuff eh, and glad that Nick has such great taste and capacity! But John, a little bowl that has the inscription "Three Bowl John" was rescued from the bin at Larry's River and. being freshly cleaned and stored, awaits the owner :eat BTW, soup recipe is coming for anyone interested. - Bob

BTW, soup recipe is coming for anyone interested. - Bob

I'm coming back for the original. :D

Wish I could have done the whole trip, yet 'twas a wonderful time with no regrets beyond the damn knee -- and now the knee has been stuffed with cortisone 3 days ago and it helps a lot!

One thing I did notice on the ride from Larry's River to Monastery this year was that the group stayed together much better than other years -- pretty damn good for a dozen bikes. And I love riding sweep because you really get to crank it. :D

In my dreams...

I picture that little inscribed bowl sitting on a 2x4 stud shelf in the barn on the hill.
Probably in your music studio Bob; high up gathering dust till 2014, likely my next
visit to scenic Larry's River. At least the bowl would be in the good company of a
fine music collection; hey... toss beer caps in it until then! And Tom; its entirely
possible we moved along so well after the blessing of the bikes, at least from 2011,
because Dara wasn't on the pillion punch'in me and yell'in "hey slow down its wet"!!
That was really just salty fog.... this year was 30 hours straight of wet! Your knee
would not have enjoyed that 1st half of the Cabot this year! Get well Tom, will see
you again & will enjoy your pictures till then.

04R1150R

I picture that little inscribed bowl sitting on a 2x4 stud shelf in the barn on the hill.
Probably in your music studio Bob; high up gathering dust till 2014, likely my next
visit to scenic Larry's River. At least the bowl would be in the good company of a
fine music collection; hey... toss beer caps in it until then! And Tom; its entirely
possible we moved along so well after the blessing of the bikes, at least from 2011,
because Dara wasn't on the pillion punch'in me and yell'in "hey slow down its wet"!!
That was really just salty fog.... this year was 30 hours straight of wet! Your knee
would not have enjoyed that 1st half of the Cabot this year! Get well Tom, will see

04R1150R

This is what started the whole soup epic 2011...... not the bowl now enshrined but, rather, the 'starter kit'. Pics of the engraved bowl will be in the forthcoming (two weeks I think) Ride Report. Until then......

DSC05420-1.jpg

Ya, it was a bit wet this year but still lots of grins. And the food! That's a thread in itself. - Bob

... this year was 30 hours straight of wet! Your knee

Thanks, my friend. Riding is easy, it's the walking that bites. I might be looking at a fake knee, will make sure to get the model with grease fittings if it happens! The cortisone shot is only postponing the inevitable.

Hi Tom,
we did OK, considering the punch that this storm packed. Lost power for about 5 hours on Monday evening.
Harry lives by the shore area and that is where most of the devastation occurred, in Jersey.

One of our mutual friends posted the following on another forum: "I just got off the phone with Harry Costello, Minor Damage and his 2 sons who live in the area are ok as well, devastation every where in the area."

Harry may chime in. I don't know if his area has had the electrical power restored yet.

Laura and Dwight were without power for approx. 36 hours, but they are OK.

Thanks for asking,
Nick

Me think...

Its been one month since the last Salty comment... and... now its not!
Hope all are doing well, and excited about the impending Santa flight.
.:blush.

o'le 3 bowl check'in in... and I've been good .:bow. wife says its not easy for me

Last edited:
Its been one month since the last Salty comment... and... now its not!
Hope all are doing well, and excited about the impending Santa flight.
.:blush.

o'le 3 bowl check'in in... and I've been good .:bow. wife says its not easy for me

Yo there Mr John of the Three Bowl ....... your timing is great. I am just now putting a somewhat modest Ride Report intro video together..... just a teaser of sorts.... with full Ride Report coming 'right on its heels'. Look for Salty Fog Rally 2012 in a new thread under Ride Reports. With over 600 pictures, selection is a bit slow but hopefully worth the wait. What a grand adventure it was eh?:brow :clap Anyway, look for is all coming together throughout this week. - Bob

First thanks for thinking about me during the storm. I and my family were very Lucky with only the minor inconvenience of having no electricity for a week and a bunch of broken tree branches in the yards. The shore area is still a mess with thousands without their homes and many businesses gone. I know a few guys who's bikes went underwater.
BTW: I have three sons and they all have sons - very important for an Irishman:):)

Now the main reason I came on here. While going through stuff I found this:
IMG_1216.jpg
Someone this year asked for the recipe for oatcakes.

.3 Cups Flour
.3 Cups Rolled Oats
.1 Cup Lard or Margarine
.1 Cup White Sugar
.1 tsp. Salt
.1 tsp. Baking Soda
.3/4 Cup Cold Water

Mix Ingredients together
Roll out on a floured board and cut into desired shapes
Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes or until lightly browned.
Enjoy with a good cup of Cape Breton tea.

One has to wonder if the 400 degrees is Fahrenheit or Celsius.

A few years ago an unfortunate situation that ended in a minor explosion in the oven resulted in me being denied the use of any of the appliances in the kitchen, so I don't know how this recipe works.
Dunking an oatcake into a cup of strong tea sure sounds like a really good idea.

Next year I'm planning on doing the Guzzi National in Lavagne, Ontario and then heading to Salty Fog. I'm almost positive that Nick and the Blakes (Laura and Dwight) have similar plans.

Last edited:
First thanks for thinking about me during the storm. I and my family were very Lucky with only the minor inconvenience of having no electricity for a week and a bunch of broken tree branches in the yards. The shore area is still a mess with thousands without their homes and many businesses gone. I know a few guys who's bikes went underwater.
BTW: I have three sons and they all have sons - very important for an Irishman:):)

Now the main reason I came on here. While going through stuff I found this:
IMG_1216.jpg
Someone this year asked for the recipe for oatcakes.

.3 Cups Flour
.3 Cups Rolled Oats
.1 Cup Lard or Margarine
.1 Cup White Sugar
.1 tsp. Salt
.1 tsp. Baking Soda
.3/4 Cup Cold Water

Mix Ingredients together
Roll out on a floured board and cut into desired shapes
Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes or until lightly browned.
Enjoy with a good cup of Cape Breton tea.

One has to wonder if the 400 degrees is Fahrenheit or Celsius.

A few years ago an unfortunate situation that ended in a minor explosion in the oven resulted in me being denied the use of any of the appliances in the kitchen, so I don't know how this recipe works.
Dunking an oatcake into a cup of strong tea sure sounds like a really good idea.

Next year I'm planning on doing the Guzzi National in Lavagne, Ontario and then heading to Salty Fog. I'm almost positive that Nick and the Blakes (Laura and Dwight) have similar plans.

Thanks for that Harry. If that recipe is 400 C then please do stand back from the appliance! :bolt Maybe we should make a few oatcakes for next year.....uh, like we need more food?

Note on my signature the link to Salty Fog Rally 2012
bit by bit I am uploading a few pictures and stringing together with a few descriptive words. Looks like Salty Fog 2013 is shaping up to be a full house and ride :thumb -

Back