• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Touring Underwear

Mario sold me a top at the rally & I wore it for the first time on the way home through Redding, CA. Temp was 110 degrees. I soaked it in water like he said, closed up all of my vents on my jacket & let the air enter my sleeves & exit my neck. All I have to say is WOW... :thumb Best $60 spent in a long time!

I already owned the tights & a pair of UnderArmor shorts. I can say, I liked the tights better, as with the shorts, my legs stuck to my pants some...

I am going to have to try the head sock thing. I am bald & the only thing hot on that part of the ride was my head. Maybe the sock soaked in water with the helmet vents slightly open will do the trick.

i got to use my LD long sleeve top and tights wed for the first time and like Mario says the seceredt is in your pants. i did not have any buring spots where the seams are in your BVD, long story short they are great

I wear my LD long sleeve shirt and pants all the time. When starting out when really hot it can be warm but once the airlow starts it works cooling you.

Roadgear socks seem to work better in the warm months than my Smartwools. But when it gets cooler I wear the Smartwools, as a matter of fact my daily sock is the SW.

I wish Roadgear would tame down their design and make a plain Jane sock.

Field (desert) tested

I can't speak about the LD products, but I can tell you that the Under Armour Heat Gear boxer briefs are a lifesaver here in Iraq. 130 + degrees at the hottest and even though every pore I have was sweating, the "boys" were dry and rash free. :dance Not much humidity to deal with here though.

The downside is that they are somewhat expensive ($16-$20 a pair). But they wick the moisture and are breathable. And they dry out quickly.

For Fathers Day, I got my dad 8 pair of them. He has a grass mowing business and was getting rashed up from all those hours in the seat of a zero turn mower. The UAs helped take care of his rashy problem.

Another thing I got for him that helped was a beaded seat cover. A cheap one from Wal-Mart. It allows some ventilation between the seat and you. He just cut it to fit his mower seat. Liked it so much he bought them for the rest of the fleet.

So far, he's been cool and dry. And it was a hot, humid summer in Ky.

YMMV.

C

:usa

My wife and I wear LD Comfort full length gear all the time even in the hot weather.
It keeps you cooler and you don't get Monkey Butt!

Then you can have Black Underwear Washing Parties with your friends!

Ld

I bought a pair of LD shorts before my trip to Redmond this year. I really questioned the cost of them. Seemed pricey before I left home. I have to say after 4700+ miles in 10 days they were incredible. Temps on the the RT showed up to 105-110 crossing the western states. While at the MOA Intl Rally I bought the helmet liner. I am so glad. All has worked as described. So much more comfortable! I am hooked now. Well worth the $$ spent. Mario do I get a discount? Just kidding (well kinda). Your products do everything you explained. I am so glad I made the purchases. :dance

Wicking underware

I'm surprised no one mentioned the brand "Wickers". They have a line of wicking shorts & T-shirts. Great stuff for hot or cold weather. Recommended by MCN magazine and by me, after 4 years of use. Don't get the slicky nylon summer ware, stay with their regular wicking material.

"Smartwool" makes socks for hot and cold weather and they both do the job of keeping your feet dry.

I certainly agree that the cycling shorts (padded crotch) are an added benefit for those high mile days.

Hope this is useful.

Ed

One of the brands of undergarments that I've come to really appreciate has, alas, gone out of business. This company is Wickers America. However, closeouts of their products can be had at a substantial discount from Sierra Trading Post while supplies last. I ordered a few more of my favorites.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/wi...6Umdrh78oCFQMQaQod0g0PpA&codes-processed=true

Last summer while riding the pony express route I wore a LD qcomfort full arm shirt and LD shorts. Long story short, after a very hot day in Nebraska, even with a wet shirt, I almost overheated while setting up my tent while still wearing the shirt. Gave it away to another rider at the Billings really who seemed to have more luck with the product! Great while riding, not so much for any stops in-between!

To dry them wash them and then roll them up in a dry towel. squeeze it a little as you roll. Unroll them and hang them up. It will be dry overnight.

And if they don't dry totally I find they dry very quickly from body heat once you have them on. I won't ride without my LD underwear and mock turtle neck AND drimax socks... Buy two of everything and you are good to go for months on end.

I have LD Comfort tights, shorts, and a zipper neck shirt. They the perfect for me.

If you polled the riders in the past two or three 11 day Iron Butt Rallies you would find more than 90% of the riders use LD Comfort garments. You can get stuff cheaper. You can get "wicking" garments at less cost. But, as far as I am concerned you can't get better for real long distance rides. If you are doing 1,000 mile days, or a 50 state ride, or any of that stuff, then LD Comfort (and Mario) gets my vote.

I bought and have used Moto Skivies for about 3500 miles last year. Excellent wicking, no chafing and added pads to help "numb butt".

Moto-Skiveez / ex-officio

+1 on Ex-Officio - just wash them, roll up in a towel and walk on it, then hang up and they are dry in minutes.

I tried Moto-Skiveez at the St.Paul Rally and found them surprisingly effective on my old tired '01 GS seat. I would recommend them.

Socks - BMW socks are really nice - got them on sale via Max BMW. Also have the moto-skiveez socks (getting older and they are designed to help circulation ) - seem very nice but I haven't taken them on a trip yet. First real week of riding in Michigan, so will have a better opinion soon.

Back