• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

EWS emergency key issue

It’s what ya’ll got for complaining about steering head locks :rofl :rofl
OM

You got me there. :) I confess! But I only complain when somebody uses said lock and it doesn't work for them. We, on the other hand insure our bikes, don't park in sketchy neighborhoods, and have never deliberately locked a motorcycle in two million miles of riding all over North America, and several foreign countries. I admit I have complained after accidentally locking a fork lock that was crusty from non-use for 25 or so years.

It’s what ya’ll got for complaining about steering head locks :rofl :rofl
OM

Yeah, now we get steering head locks that lock electronically and...require a working fob or chipped emergency key. Tell me again where this was forward motion? :)

Best,
DeVern

Yeah, now we get steering head locks that lock electronically and...require a working fob or chipped emergency key. Tell me again where this was forward motion? :)

Best,
DeVern

my tw200 has a kick starter:p

All this will continue to be as long as motorcycles are expected to emulate cars/trucks.

Look at Peter Fonda on the Captain America bike. Pretty much my reference for pure motorcycling.

Of course, it’s just the way I see it. :dunno

OM

I checked my bike after reading this thread. I dug out my plastic key for my 2015 R1200GS and got the bike to light up on the first try. However, I did have to take the right Vario case off in order to be able to reach the "G spot" with the plastic key in my left hand, and the "on" button with my right hand.

By the way, I changed out my key fob battery a month ago after being prompted by the "lokey" message on the bike's dash.

Harry

An earlier thread about the emergency key got me to try mine, it worked, but I had to read the instructions. If it had failed on a trip I probably would have been in trouble.

An earlier thread about the emergency key got me to try mine, it worked, but I had to read the instructions. If it had failed on a trip I probably would have been in trouble.

You may want to go here and download to your phone a PDF of the owner’s manual for your bike. It’s handy for looking up emergency procedures or checking procedures and torque values for OTR services like removing and reinstalling a wheel, etc.
:thumb
Best,
DeVern

On the RS using the plastic key is easier, you just poke it between the seats. You do have to make sure the fat part of the key is inserted first.
Lee, knowing you as I do I had to read that one a few times to realize you were serious. :)

Back