• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

What tools to take on a trip?

chelseaboy

09 F650GS, 08 Suzuki Band
I've got an F650GS and I'm heading out on a 2 week m/c trip on May 21. What tools should I take with? I am only capable of basic maintenance and repair. Figured I'd better take my manual along.

Thanks in advance.

Norm

There really is not a lot you can take. I mean, how much space do you want to use up on tools that you might need, or that might not be adequate to do the job you need done.
How old is your bike, how many miles?
A tire repair kit and a small pump are really the most. Wheel pulling tools, maybe. Much more than that?
I carry a laptop and the GS911. On the RT. Now, I did use that to diagnose a fuel pump controller on a mountain in Mexico.
But then I still had to get a tow into town, as I didn't have the bypass or a spare fpc.
So that brings up the next question. How many and what spare parts.
How about a credit card that works in the country where you will be riding, and a cell phone (also for the country, like Mexico?) or a satellite phone.
Cell phone doesn't work in the middle of nowhere, only in more populated areas where there are towers.
Satellite phone, except where there are anomalies, anywhere world wide.
Anonymous book.
Spot tracker? Those have saved people.
Have fun.
dc

Its an 09, 17000 miles

I have a mini tire compressor, tire plug kit etc...Figured I need to be able to clean and adjust the chain at a minimum, so need tools and stuff for that. Trip is here in the US, its a big loop of the South West, taking the scenic and twisty routes.

Ok. GS. Chain. I forgot about that.
Spot. Well then post your tracker link so those so inclined can follow along.
Along with a ride report from the road.
dc

Major Service

Do a major service and take the tools you use for that. I had everything I needed except a 16mm socket; not it is in my tool bag.

It does not matter what you take, you will not have what you need, if a failure occurs. It is one of those rules in life.

You are over thinking it, you are more liable to need a hose clamp, or zip tie. Modern motos do not break down that often, and if they do it will be a fuel pump, water pump or something that tools will not fix anyway.

Don't sweat it, throw the Anonymous book in the saddle bag, so that if something very unlikely should happen, you could find a helping hand.

Last edited:
Enjoy your ride!

Keep in touch with someone you can rely upon for help, if needed. Tracking devices are sweet...tire kit ++...phone with ability to charge...cash and or card...diagonostic devices rock ( I haven't used one on my bike yet)...basic stuff unless you'll be in a remote, desolate region. Have fun & enjoy your ride! :thumb

It does not matter what you take, you will not have what you need, if a failure occurs. It is one of those rules in life.

You are over thinking it, you are more liable to need a hose clamp, or zip tie. Modern motos do not break down that often, and if they do it will be a fuel pump, water pump or something that tools will not fix anyway.

Don't sweat it, throw the Anonymous book in the saddle bag, so that if something very unlikely should happen, you could find a helping hand.

It's called "Murphys Law".

Jack

Take every tool you can beg, borrow or steal. If you breakdown someone who knows how to use them may just happen along.

I suppose, going by weight, I have maybe 500 pounds of tools. I ain't gonna take 'em, and I ain't never gonna need 'em, on the road.
dc

I take all the tools I'd need for jobs I'm willing to do on the side of the road, at night, in the rain.

And yeah, I carry credit cards too, but my tool bag weighs about 20 pounds.

I suppose, going by weight, I have maybe 500 pounds of tools. I ain't gonna take 'em, and I ain't never gonna need 'em, on the road.
dc

Have you seen the new high end toolboxes professional tech now have, heck most are so big they have Dexter torsion axles on them, probably electric brakes too.

Just install a hitch and drag one along!

Have you seen the new high end toolboxes professional tech now have, heck most are so big they have Dexter torsion axles on them, probably electric brakes too.

Just install a hitch and drag one along!

The latest Craftsman catalog has tool boxes in pink. I once met a telecom tech who had all pink handles on her tools. I laughed when she told me it kept the guys from stealing them.

Back