• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Photo Assignment: Weekend 9/22/07

Photo Commentary

Another fine crop of photos this week. I hope everyone is enjoying this as much as I am. I'm very appreciative of people being willing to post a picture and leave it for others to talk about. Let's get to it.

200557707-M.jpg

RTRandy has the first entry this week. As he points out, this is "kind of in thirds." It's a worthy snapshot and one that does seem to tell a story. What strikes me about this photo is its frantic background with so many different things to see: dough, containers, people, counters, and those crazy spoons tilting this way and that. It can be nerve-wracking to point your camera into someone's private space and snap a shot. No idea if this was his experience or not. The colors are a bit muted. There is a way to boost contrast and saturation in your camera's menu. You might consider experimenting with that if it bothers you. A fun shot with a cool ride story attached. Mmmmm, fried pies. . . .

DSC00831.JPG

Our next photographer is Grossjohann who graced us with six nice images, each worthy of discussion; however, as the hour is late, I shall limit myself two, both great examples of thoughtful composition. The shot above is a good example of the rule of thirds, horizontally dividing the photo between a stone wall, mountain/valley vista, and blue sky. Interestingly, the photo can be seen as divided vertically into thirds as well. He places his subject, one these "pay-scopes" in the left third of the image, evoking this "golden mean" or dynamic symmetry to some degree. It's an interesting and well-executed photo that many other photographers might have taken with the scope in the dead-center of the image. Nice shot.

DSC00837.JPG

The other photo that grabbed my eye was this one. It has all the same elements mentioned above. The proportions are different, but it's still divided into three. And the subject placement occupies this lover quadrant of the picture--really nice. Although it clearly was not the photographer's intent, how neat would it have been to arrange this subject and composition with a bike in the background. So many people see a BMW key fob and think "car," and such an image would shake their preconceived notions. But I digress; I didn't take this photo, did I? It's a neat still-life: good focus and attention to detail.

augustamo.jpg

Bobh41 snapped this shot on his way, apparently, to the open house? It's a nice scene, bucolic really but for the factory in the distance. It's a pleasant photo, but one seemingly without a central subject. Clearly these rolled hay bales are of interest (especially to we left-coasters where they don't exist) but no one stands out. I saw thousands of these on the way to Wisconsin and wondered about them. Apparently a very efficient way to bale the hay. In any case, were he to have had the opportunity, moving so that one hay bale was large and in the foreground may have made this nice photo even more interesting. There, too, the photographer may have made the decision to exclude--or intentionally include--the factory in the background.

IMG_0005.jpg

PAGoldsby's image is certainly in thirds. It is decidedly UNbalanced. I can hear my arteries constricting just looking at this photo. What I find most interesting about this is that the biscuit is the only thing that DOESN'T have gravy on it. I wouldn't have been surprised to see gravy in the coffee. One thing's for sure: Beemer pilots sure know how to eat.

200557685-L.jpg

Buckeyeclark's entry is a study in contrasts. First of all, it's a photo taken of a much-loved bike. We all have photos like this. And it's understandable: this is a nice bike worthy of taking photos. The background composition is nicely divided into thirds, making an excellent backdrop--and contrast--to the bike. However, the bike is dead-center, and it would be much more effective if it were composed in one corner or the other, leading the viewer's eye. In addition, this might help to eliminate the troubling tree trunks growing out of the seat. I've taken thousands of pictures like this, really pleased with the composition, only to discover later that I have some element jutting from somewhere inappropriate. This by no means ruins the picture, but it might prevent it from being published or framed. . . . I do like the angle from which the bike was shot. If flash had been added it may have lightened the image and boosted the contrast. A nice image and one well worth repeating.

0923BallonFestival067c.jpg

Paulbach turned in three images this week, all nice photos, but this one knocks my socks off. This is a great, eye-catching image that I love for numerous reasons. First, it's an inventive composition. The image is divided into horizontal thirds, but it's also divided along the axis of the propeller. It is an obvious contrast between two remarkably different kinds of flight. To me, however, the most striking aspect of this image is its perfect complexity. There are 9 hovering balloons but none cross the wing or propeller. Nothing overlaps, making for a striking and--in some respects--surreal image. This one really struck my fancy.

Compare this image above with Paul's first entry, a similar but far less remarkable image. It gives you a good idea of how powerful the decision can be to place the subject elsewhere in the image, or in this case, to foreground and make it larger.

200557716-L.jpg

I like this week's image from Voni--a really nice shot. The background is divided into thirds of a sort. The sky, the desert, and the gravel drive. But the placement of the subject (Paul I presume) in the lower-right quadrant is another good example of the golden mean. If you compare this with last week's entry (boys on bicycles) you can see--in terms of composition--what tremendously different pictures they are. I love the foreboding sky in this picture--really tells a story.

1433565299_5950c65428.jpg

Burnzilla's entry this week is a great photo of a beautiful scene in a beautiful part of California. He's lucky to live anywhere near there. Beautiful composition: background in thirds and the Cypress, poised above a beautiful little cove off to the side--great dynamic symmetry. This is a textbook example of composition study and a very nice photo besides.

199980868-L.jpg

Here is Bricciphoto's entry. I'm going to include his own critique as I agree with almost everything he says:

Bull's Eye Composition
Human Tripod Shooting Perspective
Underexposed
In general, a rather "lazy" effort.

What do I think might have made this more compelling?
Place Subject Slightly Off Center in Frame
Lower or Higher Shooting Perspective (Most Likely Lower: Ground Level?)
Tighter Crop to Minimize Background or Showing Just Her Feet/Left Foot
Exposing for a Silhouette

It is, in fact, bull's eye composition and is "human tripod" perspective. I've never heard that term before, but I immediately know what it means. I think "lazy" is a bit harsh. I definitely would not crop this tighter, unless I were going to have part of the subject disappear off frame. However a slight lower shooting perspective might have been interesting. There's something appealing about this shot--an anthropomorphising (not actually a word, but making a person out of the) motorcycle. A man-and-machine, or person-and-machine thing. . . .

mxon_rv_holeshot.jpg

Visian's entry is a really beauty. Great colors and composition. I agree with his assessment that it may have worked even better were it angled up a bit. Still, it's a great static image of an exciting and dynamic subject. Great colors and great contrast in this image. The subject, whom I perceive to be No. 2, is not dead-center, but placed in magic spot where the viewer's eye goes. The very composition of this shot is what tells its story.

200557663-M.jpg

Clearly 2bikemike has a far greater sense of balance--in his diet--than PAGoldsby. Though I don't know about those Vienna sausages; although I'm not one to talk. My diet is a disaster. I especially like how his dietary composition makes a smiley face, a prototypical happy meal if you will. And you will.

Well, that's it for this week, barring any last-minute entries. A fine and fun crop of photos. Please feel free to offer your comments or to counter mine. This is just one person's opinion, offered at least two hours after his bed-time.

Thanks you for the time and the comments. I look forward to them and learn from other people's shots and your commentary.

Great Job!
thankyou.gif

Not ready fopr prime time

Here is an interesting shot I did not submit:

0923BallonFestival083f.jpg

The colors are all wrong. A good photoshop artist would be able to make the balloon brighter and the wing darker and remove the extraneous balloons.

It almost seems the spider is ready to take a bite out of the C-130.

The plane picture is an unusual aircraft. It is equipped with skis. Its chief mission is to fly to Greenland and Antarctica for the National Science Foundation. Right now the Air Wing - 109th out of Scotia, New York is getting ready for the Antarctic mission since summer is approaching down there with balmy 0 to 20 belong readings.

My old Navy unit used to get some training at the 109th airwing loading cargo pallets and aircraft.

Check out the 109th Airlift Wing, NYANG the web page here. <- Check Out This Link

For additional pictures of this neighbor's unique mission click here. <- Check Out This Link

You've got some great shots here, Paul. I'm sorry that I missed the fest and the ride after.

The colors are all wrong. A good photoshop artist would be able to make the balloon brighter and the wing darker and remove the extraneous balloons.
I don't think that the other balloons are 'extraneous.' I think that they add interest and help to lead your eye around the image. I like your pictures this week a lot Paul.

Here are my contributions. This week was a bit difficult for me. I wanted to go for a motorcycle ride and and find a pretty autumn scene but I am buried with work. (very UNbalanced life right now). So I did take some pictures at the office I am working at this week (I'm freelance).

I also had difficulty with the rule of thirds. I know and understand it, but when I look through the viewfinder, I make pictures a lot more intuitively than thinking about rules I guess.

This is a picture of the office conference table:
199723654-M.jpg

This is a picture of a coworker's son:
199723563-M.jpg

I am really enjoying our weekly photo assignments because although I take a lot of snapshots, I don't think that many of them are good pictures. My definition of 'good' would be if I would want to hang it on the wall and look at it every day. These photo assignments are making me be a lot more conscious about my image making and I appreciate the opportunity to get feedback.

This is a picture of the office conference table:
199723654-M.jpg

I like the balance in this shot between the shadows and the linear elements in the windows/walls. I also like the balance between the holes in the chair back and the "buttons" on the rear wall/window. And lastly, although it's a contrast, I like the balance between the shadows and lighted areas, and the linear and round shapes. The shot would have been a little better if the white area in the upper left could have been cropped out (but I recognize that isn't always feasible). This shot is all about balance. Very graphic. :thumb

HereÔÇÖs a shot from my ride through NW Illinois on Sunday. What caught my eye as I drove by this scene was the curve of the cornfield. That curve combined with the golden crop between the green grass and blue sky punctuated with a lone tree off to the left of the scene made me stop and shoot. The placement of the motorcycle in the right side of the images balances and frames the scene, although the scene looked great with out the bike.

Now, what might have made this a stronger image would be to raise the camera so that the top of the tree was ÔÇ£insideÔÇØ the corn instead of getting lost in the background, the curve in the cornfield would have stood out more also. Or I could have lowered the camera bringing the top of the tree out of and over the horizon, the downside to that would be loosing the curve in the corn. Finally, the horizon is not quite level.

Attachments

• IMG_1721.jpg
    IMG_1721.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 122
HereÔÇÖs a shot from my ride through NW Illinois on Sunday. What caught my eye as I drove by this scene was the curve of the cornfield. That curve combined with the golden crop between the green grass and blue sky punctuated with a lone tree off to the left of the scene made me stop and shoot. The placement of the motorcycle in the right side of the images balances and frames the scene, although the scene looked great with out the bike.

Now, what might have made this a stronger image would be to raise the camera so that the top of the tree was ÔÇ£insideÔÇØ the corn instead of getting lost in the background, the curve in the cornfield would have stood out more also. Or I could have lowered the camera bringing the top of the tree out of and over the horizon, the downside to that would be loosing the curve in the corn. Finally, the horizon is not quite level.

Great shot; both for site selection and for color. I like the contrast between the yellow corn and the blue motorcycle.

I agree that the tree is "lost". I would have tried to get the motorcycle and the tree into the "thirds" as posted earlier. I find my eye fighting to decide on what to focus: tree or bike; bike or tree. If they were closer together, then I could take them both in more easily.

Hope you didn't get stuck getting out of there. I probably wouldn't have tried it.

Thanks for weighing in!

It is great. I bet I rode by something and didn't look at in that way, my pictures sucked. Good eye, I need to pay more attention.
I would like to see more of the bike though.
I may be biased in that area.

199996628-L-1.jpg

Balance

An aesthetically pleasing integration of elements, as defined by Merriam-Webster.

The weekend of the Wisconsin Dual Sport Riders Adventure Ride was full of color.

More fall color
In this photos I tried to balance as many colors as I could in scene. I managed to get all six colors of the rainbow spectrum. Can you name the colors.

Santa, your photos are jaw droppingly beautiful.

:bow

Thanks Dave.

I enjoy going to your photo site also. KBasa

My S70 has been had 6 major dropping incidents and it has had thousand of shutter clicks. It is starting to get soft on the focus, but it does give it an artsy soft image. The camera does have great color. Northern Wisconsin was a full color last weekend for the Big Woods 200 Dual Sport Ride.

200418423-L-1.jpg

200481704-L.jpg

One from the $150 A610

200867694-L.jpg

Very nice indeed. I think all the elements are there and you've made good observations about your own shot. Another suggestion (I know hindsight is 20/20 and I know how difficult repositioning is in this circumstance) is to move the bike to the left a smidge. Otherwise it's top notch effort and it really has a strong feel to it. Thanks for sharing.

Modeling fee

Be careful Santa, Buddy may start charging you to be your model!

:brow

Excellent pictures as usual. Set one as my new desktop!

So can we borrow some for the Foundation Holiday Cards?

-=Brad
Vice President
BMW MOA Foundation

Hi Brad,

Great to hear from you. Thanks for all the time volunteered as Mod. And, yes you may use any photos you like for the Foundation. I am sure everyone who post here would be proud to get picked. Last year we had very nice weather before Christmas, but unfortunately I only took one Holiday Card Photos.

I bet next year you will have many Members doing Holiday scenes.

Foundation

Back