• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Socks

Switched years ago to wool?

My wife and I switched to wool 10+ years ago at the recommendation of an REI associate. We have good luck with a Wigwam wool blend sock. They last 5 yrs or more with constant use. I often find them for $13 for two pairs at a store in Minneapolis called Kaplan Bros. I often look at Smartwool, but can't get past the sticker shock and keep going back to Wigwam.

Everyone thinks wool is hot in summer - what rot. Cotton is junk, synthetics don't last. 10k yrs of natural fibers can't be wrong.

Wool is fine until it gets really hot. I've found nothing better than Sokz. I've been riding with them for 3 years (30,000 miles a year) and haven't worn out a set yet.

I had to give up on the Sokz. There's a seam across the top of the toe box, and the nubby end of it sits right on my baby toe and gives me a horrible blister. I've tried everything I can think of to adjust the positioning but it still ends up there. After suffering with blisters through a few rallies, I gave my Sokz away and am going back to Smartwool. They have some new, thinner ones than the hiking type I've been wearing.

I often look at Smartwool, but can't get past the sticker shock and keep going back to Wigwam.

I love Smartwool socks. The best price I've found is on irregulars at the L.L. Bean outlet store in Concord, NH and probably other L.L. Bean outlet locations in the northeast U.S.

The polypro/wool seem to work the best for me, and ski shop, or ski interweb site has lots of choices, I like the smartwool too.

I love Smartwool socks. The best price I've found is on irregulars at the L.L. Bean outlet store in Concord, NH and probably other L.L. Bean outlet locations in the northeast U.S.

Costco, if you are a member, has a made-in-the-USA Smartwool clone that is sometimes available. My feet can not tell the difference. My wallet can... about $12 for 3 or 4 pair. Looking at the socks side by side there are very slight differences. So slight that were it not that the Smartwool socks say Smartwool it would be easy to assume they were the same. So far the costco socks are holding up as well as my Smartwool originals.

I have tried techsox, smart wool socks, sokz, and a few other brands but lately I've been wearing coconut socks from roadgear.

Sokz are great. I've been wearing them and Fox Rivers for several years. Last summer, I found Klim socks and they are the hands-down best. The light weight socks are nicely vented with just the right amount of cushion. And they stay up! After many washings, I do not have to stop and wrestle them from the inside of my boots.

There is a large sock manufacturing plant about 1.5 miles from our house that manufactures socks for many brands including SmartWool. They have a small store that sells irregulars, most of them for $.50 a pair. I buy Carhartt socks there that I wear daily for $1 a pair that are $4-$5 elsewhere, they are excellent.

A few years ago they were selling SmartWool socks for $2 a pair, until some local idiot started buying them in big lots and put them on eBay for a huge profit. Well the sock plant put a stop to that by increasing the price of the SmartWool socks to about $5-$6 a pair and you had to sign for them. Since then they have lowered the price to $3 a pair but put a purchase limit on them of two or three pair.

Don,
I think the house brand is OmniWool. I purchased 6 pairs from them about 5 years ago and they are still in great shape. I think Sam's club also has them from time to time.
Jeff

Don, I'm close to Cleveland,TN in Ellijay,GA,where is that store,my Sokz are ten years old and wearing out.

It's Renfro Corporation, 4405 Michigan Rd. NE, phone number is 423-472-5095. You might want to call them to verify the hours of their sock store before you make the trip. Click Here for their web page.

They don't show the SmartWool socks on their web site. I need a few more pairs of the Carhartts anyway, so I'll stop by there tomorrow and I'll check on the SmartWool products. When they do sell the SmartWool, they don't have all of the styles all of the time. There are usually three or four different styles available at a time.

Here are the coords that should get you close. N35 11.890 W84 48.407

I have tried techsox, smart wool socks, sokz, and a few other brands but lately I've been wearing coconut socks from roadgear.

Just got back from a 7-day bike trip out west. Roadgear Coconut socks every day.

Fantastic - feet did not overheat and sweat. Actually didn't even get smelly, despite several days per pair.

Thin, so boots slipped on and off easily, and they go all the way to the calf, so legs warmer on cool mornings and no slipping down the leg as the day wore on.

Ordering more!! :thumb

I have been using Thorlos Western Boot Dress Socks for a number of years. They are a synthetic blend with lots of padding in the right places for Motorcycle Boots. Our local Eli's Western Wear shop sells them for about $15 a pair.

They dry overnight and seem to wick the moisture away from the foot

I was a rep for Techsox for a couple of years . I tried my first pair when i lived in FL. and loved them.
Still wear them every day,
but I would like to try the Coconut sox everyone is raving about these day.

Back