• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Camping thread

henzilla

not so retired
Staff member
Have been thinking about camping or lack of actually. We have had discussions in other areas but this is the Great Outdoors, so here goes.

Was wondering how all the wildlife will react to us returning to their environments. As an example, the brown bears that have been seemingly more plentiful in places like Smokey Mtn National Park campsites and a lot of Appalachia for that matter. Have they missed us and gotten comfortable or will they retreat a bit back into the shadows when the parks get busier again? Last summer was more active than the previous one from sightings and ranger chats.
It should be an interesting season on trails as well .
Oh, my funny for the day...

541132FD-F425-49D5-A96F-ACF41E2FD511.jpeg

Planning a trip to Colorado to pick up my brother, then ride together to Devils tower, then on to Mt. Rushmore 3rd week of July into 1st week of August. We're planning on camping where we can find a spot that's open and not full, otherwise we'll find a place out of the way and pitch for the evening.

I'll be bringing a firearm, bear spray and a large straight blade on the trip. Hopefully it's an uneventful time while on the road in camp grounds or wild camping somewhere out of the way.

Worst case scenario, we'll pitch behind a local Elks lodge [ member for 28 years ]. There's always someplace to pitch a tent for the night at most elks lodges, even in the back on tarmac if necessary.

I live in an urban bedroom community. We had a bear walk through our neighborhood last week.

I do think they’ve gotten used to the extra space. Makes you wonder if they’d miss us at all if we were gone. Probably not.

Henzilla, just a minor correction: Back east here, we only have Black Bears, some of which are indeed colored brown. (To the best of my knowledge, Brown Bears are native to Alaska.) While they rarely cause much trouble for humans, Black Bears actually are responsible for far more human deaths than grizzlies. Best to give them a wide berth. (And they can climb trees, so you can’t escape them that way!)

I’m looking forward to getting out camping again soon!

Our open range ranches with county roads have had more cattle, goats, and sheep on the road surface than in previous years as the usual traffic, though minimal anyways, is even more so. The amount of roadkill is noticeably higher.

Correction noted... black bears out east and maybe a little less intimidating than the western brown species. The video last week of the pre- teen being followed was a bit scary to see for the parents sake

Was in Smokemont Campgrounds in Smokey Mtn last summer for a few days and one night the roar of a nearby bear had several folks scrambling to their cars...I didn’t have that, but was further away!

On two passes through Cumberland Gap Nat’l Park within a month last summer, the bear activity had moved closer into the parks parallel loops. The ranger I visited with both trips reminded me I was only person NOT in a metal box the second trip in July and that the bears had moved two loops closer.
On Skyline Drive, there were traps within 200 yards from tents and they hauled two out as I packed up the next morning.

Headed that direction, then again out west as things open and am expecting noticeable changes, especially National Forest remote sites . The roaming Bighorn, elk and such and those buffalo encounters already add adventure. Ready to camp regardless!
Have laid out all the gear and added/ upgraded some items the last month and it’s ready when things open.

Planning a trip to Colorado to pick up my brother, then ride together to Devils tower, then on to Mt. Rushmore 3rd week of July into 1st week of August. We're planning on camping where we can find a spot that's open and not full, otherwise we'll find a place out of the way and pitch for the evening.

I'll be bringing a firearm, bear spray and a large straight blade on the trip. Hopefully it's an uneventful time while on the road in camp grounds or wild camping somewhere out of the way.

Worst case scenario, we'll pitch behind a local Elks lodge [ member for 28 years ]. There's always someplace to pitch a tent for the night at most elks lodges, even in the back on tarmac if necessary.

Just be smart about food storage, including toiletries such as toothpaste and you won't have any issues. I've wild camped all over the western U.S and British Columbia and have never had any issues with wildlife. That includes Beartooth Pass, with one of the highest concentrations of grizzlies in the lower 48.

Just be smart about food storage, including toiletries such as toothpaste and you won't have any issues. I've wild camped all over the western U.S and British Columbia and have never had any issues with wildlife. That includes Beartooth Pass, with one of the highest concentrations of grizzlies in the lower 48.

We have camped many times at campgrounds which are posted as having grizzly bear activity in the area. See Beaver Creek NW of Yellowstone. We do three things. One, we carry bear attack deterrent spray. Two we never have food or other attractants in the tent. And three, when we park our bikes with food, or the smell of food in the bags, we remove those bags and locate them away from the bikes. That way, if a bear decides to beat the crap out of my Jesse bags they at least will not be on the bike. Beat up bags = OK. Beat up bike, not so much.

On my failed trip to Tuktoyaktuk last year I had bear spray and a bear bag for storing food etc. It's a nice piece of equipment that packs down super small when not in use.

Used it to store my food in a tree when I was camped for 4 days above Dawson City.

It's the white thing you see by the back wheel. Apparently bears can't tear or chew through it.
IMG_0073-XL.jpg

I was thinking the same thing. Everything inside will have the consistency of mashed potatoes....:D

Not sure I would even want to handle that bag again after the thorough mouth slavering it received. I think it would be better to have a bag that was scent-proof rather than bite-proof.

Not sure I would even want to handle that bag again after the thorough mouth slavering it received. I think it would be better to have a bag that was scent-proof rather than bite-proof.

:laugh

A bear-box is better and most campgrounds in bear country have them. I was at one campground in the Yukon that had bear fencing around it and was electrified at night. You were kindly asked not to pee on it....:deal :rofl

...black bears out east and maybe a little less intimidating than the western brown species..

We've got the real deal up here: Ursus Horribilus

The most famous local one is Bear 122, also known as "the King". He even kills other grizzlies:

https://www.rmotoday.com/banff/whos-the-boss-grizzly-bear-122-continues-to-dominate-the-bow-valley-2271452

They were always a concern when we were camping in the back country. I would keep a cylinder of bear spray in a boot, next to my pillow. :D

They were always a concern when we were camping in the back country. I would keep a cylinder of bear spray in a boot, next to my pillow. :D

Once again I feel compelled to tell a story. One of the places we frequently camp when headed to the Pacific Northwest is Beaver Creek Campground in the Custer Gallatin National Forest, just off US 287, 25 miles northwest of West Yellowstone, Montana. It has signs about grizzly bear activity. And unlike other Forest Service Campgrounds with green envelopes and black letters this campground uses white envelopes with red letters stating, "WARNING Bears Are Active In this Campground." It is impossible to miss the warnings about possible bear activity.

Another forest Forest Service Campground we sometimes use is a very small one in the Nebraska National Forest a few miles south of Chadron, Nebraska. This Red Cloud Campground used to have a well and pit toilets. It now has pit toilets but no well. It has about a half dozen sites. One time when we arrived at this campground there were no permit envelopes in the little box on the post.

So I thought I might help the Forest Service out a bit. We were in Beaver Creek up by Yellowstone and I borrowed a few of their red and white registration envelopes thinking they might be useful at the Red Cloud Campground south of Chadron. So the very next time we got to Red Cloud Campground I put a few of the white with red lettering envelopes with their "WARNING Bears Are Active In this Campground" message in the box on the registration post.

We did hear several cars arrive at the campground and then drive away. Probably just teenagers. We had a peaceful night with only one kid on a bicycle and us in the whole campground. :)

Last edited:
Back