• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Oil Leak

rwl1955

Saturday I removed the cover on my RT and found oil inside. The bike had been parked on it's sidestand for a week without use. Traced it back to the left side cylinder, most likely from the valve cover gasket. WTF? I have 9200 miles on my 2016RT, first the saddlebag problem, then the throttle position sensor and now this. MAX will pick it up for winter storage this month so hopefully they'll replace the gasket.

When was it last serviced, or more precisely, when was that valve cover last removed? Maybe the gasket is just not seated properly. Happened to me after a service, and simply went back and had it re-seated.

Check out my " https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?90551-2016-RT-now-an-oil-leak!-argh " thread. Same issue with more leakage. Max took care of it...but it looked like they even got into the head gasket for my leak.[I can't tell from paperwork quoted below] nevertheless, they were easy to deal with - but you have to say something- they don't seem proactive to me, but they are responsive.

Paperwork states: "Installed 11 12 8 542 057 :seal kit, cylinder head ... REPLACED VALVE COVER GASKET [caps on original document]

...but it looked like they even got into the head gasket for my leak.[I can't tell from paperwork quoted below]
Paperwork states: "Installed 11 12 8 542 057 :seal kit, cylinder head ... REPLACED VALVE COVER GASKET [caps on original document]

That part number is for the cylinder head cover gaskets (Valve Cover)

Last edited:
When was it last serviced, or more precisely, when was that valve cover last removed? Maybe the gasket is just not seated properly. Happened to me after a service, and simply went back and had it re-seated.
6000 mi service but I don't think they removed the valve cover, just changed fluids.

Check out my " https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?90551-2016-RT-now-an-oil-leak!-argh " thread. Same issue with more leakage. Max took care of it...but it looked like they even got into the head gasket for my leak.[I can't tell from paperwork quoted below] nevertheless, they were easy to deal with - but you have to say something- they don't seem proactive to me, but they are responsive.

I informed MAX in CT., they will pick the bike up for storage this month so I will be sure to remind them to check it out. I have parked it on the center stand now.

Oops, I meant to type Cylinder Head Cover Gasket.

Oh yeah? well thanks anyway...and again! BTW- is that actual removal of the head? or are the valves somewhere else? and it isn't called a valve cover gasket?

Slid the door open to the bike parking spot today and saw a small puddle of oil under the left valve cover of my RS.
It's been 10,000 to 11,000 miles since I checked the valves earlier this year.
Most winters the temp in the garage only drops below freezing a couple times. This year we have already had a dozen or more days where the garage temp dropped below freezing and had two days it was around 20 F.
I'm guessing the cold caused the minor leak.
I'll remove the cover and clean the gasket in the spring.

Back