• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

How did it go?

Ririe pre-rally weather was great.....I over heated riding into SLC so seems a lot hotter than it really is to me. Still have another week of sight seeing but renting a car. Will park the bike at long term pArking

It was hot. There were were several air conditioned venues, cold water was easily available and shaded camping spaces were available for an estimated 30% of the campers. We stayed at a motel that was six miles away, but had easy access to the efficient Trax system. Didn't start a bike for our entire stay. Some good vender deals, but some notable missing in action venders, particularly clothing folks. We got some Helite vests as our major purchase. By the end of each day I was feeling like a raisin. Kudos to those who made it happen.

It was hot. There were were several air conditioned venues, cold water was easily available and shaded camping spaces were available for an estimated 30% of the campers. We stayed at a motel that was six miles away, but had easy access to the efficient Trax system. Didn't start a bike for our entire stay. Some good vender deals, but some notable missing in action venders, particularly clothing folks. We got some Helite vests as our major purchase. By the end of each day I was feeling like a raisin. Kudos to those who made it happen.

If they're the same team as at Hamburg, the Helite folks really make an effort demonstrate and sell their product.

How was the attendance?

It was hot. A couple of days hit triple digits. But the vendor buildings and most seminar locations were air conditioned so there were places to go to get/stay cool. We booked a motel on Sunday for a Tuesday arrival. Walking distance and I'm glad we did.

We talked to several campers: the majority opinion was that it was hot trying to sleep which was why I bit the bullet and camped at a hotel for only the 3rd time in the last 33 national rallys.

It wasn't Bloomsburg, from which there were over 300 (not a typo) ambulance runs in 4 days (Wed-Sat).

Rallies in Alberta, and Ontario are staring to look better and better to me. Too bad about the folks with DUIs that can't get there.

Attendance was about 4200 but about right for the site.
It was hot but I didn't hear of any ambulance runs.
Interesting neighborhood.
I think everyone had a good time.

It was hot. A couple of days hit triple digits. But the vendor buildings and most seminar locations were air conditioned so there were places to go to get/stay cool. We booked a motel on Sunday for a Tuesday arrival. Walking distance and I'm glad we did.

We talked to several campers: the majority opinion was that it was hot trying to sleep which was why I bit the bullet and camped at a hotel for only the 3rd time in the last 33 national rallys.

It wasn't Bloomsburg, from which there were over 300 (not a typo) ambulance runs in 4 days (Wed-Sat).

Rallies in Alberta, and Ontario are staring to look better and better to me. Too bad about the folks with DUIs that can't get there.

Hey, don't forget about BC! :dance

It was hot after noon, but you made do. There were numerous air conditioned spaces, plenty of shade, and both misting tents and misting fans for a bit of relief. Chilled water was easy to find and the folks at the information booths knew all the answers. For those having trouble with the heat (like Tulliver) there were plenty of hotel rooms available.

The national is the only venue where those of us living in remote areas can see all possible goodies for our bikes. If there is good riding in the area OR good riding to and from home, bonus! But the real reason I attend is to reconnect with old friends, put faces to the names on Facebook, and meet new people to laugh with.

Return to Escanaba?

That was our first National and we enjoyed it.

I didn't attend that one, but visited the area the following year. Seemed like a great area for a rally, but I doubt it has the necessary facilities to meet our current requirements standards (i.e., meeting rooms and display areas with AC).

What do you mean?

The fairgrounds is a few blocks from downtown. SLC is a city. It has a considerable homeless population including a 600 bed shelter from which folks wander during the day. Across from the corner of the fairgrounds is a 7-11 which is a bit of a hangout. There are also a few working girls who seemed to like to hang out at McDonalds, using the wifi for scheduling purposes. We stayed at the Econolodge four blocks from the main gate toward downtown. We walked to and from the fairgrounds every day. We didn't have a problem and didn't really see any specific problem but it is a major city with a beautiful downtown and some rough edges at the edges. We never felt unsafe.

Rallies in Alberta, and Ontario are staring to look better and better to me...

It's been nice up here. I rode back from the Kootenays last Sunday, and it was actually cold in the Rogers Pass. Kicking Horse Pass was still cool, even later in the morning, and I didn't open my suit up until noon, in Canmore.

Forgot to mention in the previous post there were more trees than expected from a Google map check before the rally. The grass was green and appeared well watered. Quite a few nice tent sites were available for early arrivals. RV sites however were on solid asphalt and looked a bit grim in the 90 plus heat.
GS Giants had a great track setup.
Beer was $2 for tap Bud or Shock Top, $4 for other specialty beers.
Burger, fries, and a Coke was $14 at the food court. $6 for a pulled pork sandwich, $4 for sides. $8 got you a medium thin crust pizza. Thai and other food was available.
Saw a couple of crowd misters (water sprayers) in operation. They worked well in the relatively low humidity of SLC.
Again, I think most attendees had a good time at the rally, but it was hot.

My first rally after 25 years of BMW motorcycle ownership and MOA membership. Yeah, it was hot in the sun during the day, but shade offered quite a bit of relief and as stated by others, there were plenty of places at the venue that were air conditioned. I've no doubt that tents set up in the sun were pretty uncomfortable at night as I'm sure it took a long time to get that heat out of the tent. I rented a room on Air BnB with private bath in an excellent little old Victorian home ($40 per night) about 3 miles from the venue and right on the Rapid Transit line. I would ride the bike over in the morning, return to the air conditioned place early afternoon, then take the train back in the evening for music, beer and fun. I never drink and ride (learned a lesson in my teens), so it worked out great for me.

In my opinion, the event is run extremely well and offers something for everyone if you love motorcycles (or, if you love music, food, beer, nice people, good conversation, new friends, new farkles, GS Giants and all their misery, knowledgable vendors, etc., etc., etc.) My compliments to everyone connected with executing the event and to all the volunteers for their help. I didn't volunteer this year, but fully expect to for next year's rally.

Forgot to mention in the previous post there were more trees than expected from a Google map check before the rally. The grass was green and appeared well watered. Quite a few nice tent sites were available for early arrivals..

In the July ON it asked, to ensure enough camping space to not park your bike on the grass near your tent.
Did they end up having plenty of camping space?

Back