• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

I want a rear cowl/trunk for my '97 R850R. Concept attached.

arr850arr

Oilhead Noob
I mocked up a bad photoshop of a rear cowl on my R850R. I REALLY want something like this, ideally a trunk. Corbin makes a Smuggler for other models but one does not appear to exist for this model. Any ideas who may be able to fabricate something like this? I could try myself but I'm not very patient and it may end up looking like a summer camp project.

IMG_1200cowl by donpfeifer, on Flickr

Any ideas are welcome. There is a lot that I don't know.

Thanks,
ARR

I had another thought

I wanted to find or do the same thing but gave up as nothing came to light and my fab skills are not up to your photoshop skills. I went another way. I tried a Pelican case- Ugly, then a tail bag from Surf to Summit- bad fit, then I built a base to replace the seat, found a Wunderlich tail bag at an event and I was off. None of this damaged the bike, its front seat, the bag and all can be retrofitted in 1 minutes! It is great to have and is a proff of concept for you. When you get the form made make me a case too!

Attachments

• DSC_1675.jpg
    DSC_1675.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 101
  • DSC_1677.jpg
    DSC_1677.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 101
  • DSC_1683.jpg
    DSC_1683.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 102
more pics

Here is the bag opened (works with seat) when down and when expanded. Good luck!

Attachments

• DSC_1685.jpg
    DSC_1685.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 101
  • DSC_1686.jpg
    DSC_1686.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 101
  • DSC_1687.jpg
    DSC_1687.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 101
I mocked up a bad photoshop of a rear cowl on my R850R. I REALLY want something like this, ideally a trunk. Corbin makes a Smuggler for other models but one does not appear to exist for this model. Any ideas who may be able to fabricate something like this? I could try myself but I'm not very patient and it may end up looking like a summer camp project.

Thanks,
ARR

Can't help ya with finding a who. BuT your mock up looks great!!!

Well, you don't want me to make one for you, I can tell you that.

With photoshop skills like that, maybe you could find somebody with a 3D printer?
:D

R1100R rear trunk

Thanks,
ARR

BMW apparently makes something like it. I found this photo on a BMW parts catalog online, but no dealer I spoke to was able to order it.

Back