• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Enduro Traveler's Dream Bike

DREAM BIKE

• R1200 GS, HYBRID, GAS/ELECTRIC

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • R1200 GS, HYBRID, GAS/COMPRESSED AIR

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

camilojpool

Fellows:
I currently own a BMW R1150 GS Adventure motorcycle. (52-41 mpg) 8 galons tank, shaft drive, I was wondering if BMW will shoot to build something that compete against THE BIKE OF MY DREAMS.
The bike of my dreams:
How about a hybrid bike? India company Tata built a hybrid car that use an engine that works both gas and compressed air. I was wondering if the future holds an electric bike that uses compress air as well. I keep looking at my bike and take it apart in my mind and fill the frame with 2 sets of battery packs, 1 pack that runs, the other pack recharges (with braking, downhill, even with small solar panels and small-wind turbines in the fairing, also heat to electricity convertion technology...All integrated in the right proportions) Also using the space that uses the gas tank for a series of compressed air tanks.
You have no idea how much I would enjoy if a bike like I have could switch to electric or compress air power in the middle of city traffic jam, where you don't too much power to move, no clutch, just smooth sailing while I am stuck...
I also imagine my next trip to Alaska, instead of timing my leg strecthing and eating habits to 300 miles tank re-fill intervals, just stop to eat when I am hungry or tired and save so much money! I saw people riding to Alaska in bicycles! They spent money just to feed them selves. I was feeding my self and the fat pig I was riding on!
If had the skill I would be working with the BMW guys in this project.
I will be the first in waiting list if BMW develope an Enduro bike like this. For now don't think I would upgrade to the new Adventure, mine works just fine, and has extended warranty of 5 years. I guess I will have to settle for this and keep dreaming.
Unless BMW builds a F800 GS with shaft drive... I don't see why not.

By the There is US company buil60ding enduro electric bike, with plenty of power and 40 mile range per charge, max speed 60 mph...www.zeromotorcycles.com
Stick it to the Man!

All the best
Camilo Pool
Johnston, Iowa
MOA#115755

Attachments

• Enduro.gif
    Enduro.gif
    38.1 KB · Views: 159
Fellows:
I currently own a BMW R1150 GS Adventure motorcycle. (52-41 mpg) 8 galons tank, shaft drive, I was wondering if BMW will shoot to build something that compete against THE BIKE OF MY DREAMS.
The bike of my dreams:

Sorry I did not vote as none of the selections provided were the bike of my dreams. sorry

cool link on the zero bike... the videos in there are amazing.

in thinking about a dream bike over the years, the engine/powerplant technology hasn't crossed my mind as much as some of the other aspects of the ride.

if i were to choose one thing i could have, it would be tires that turned from street to knobby with a button-push.

hydrostatic 2-wheel drive is another (yamaha already has something like this).

active suspension is another wish.

a carbon-fiber frame.

lower seat height... :ha

ian

Then we should include the bike of your dreams in the poll. What is you dream-bike?
F650.

Didn't you watch the Long Way Round? After Claudio's pig bike destroyed itself, they bought him a little Russian 500 or something. Later, when he was literally riding circles around the pig bikes, Ewan expressed some amount of jealousy. A 650 is PLENTY of motor to carry everything you need and generally more fuel efficient. Why include ONLY pig bikes in the list?

Also, in case you haven't noticed, BMW drive shafts are connected to BMW differentials, which, compared to every other differential from every other company for every other vehicle on the planet... just plain SUCK. Who you gonna call with your cell phone and credit card in the middle of your trip to Ulan Batar when your rear end spits off the rear wheel or bursts into flame? (We all know that the current BMW toolkit consist of little more than a telephone calling card and a list of dealers.) Odds are you'll do what Claudio did and pick up a smaller chain-drive bike.

F(We all know that the current BMW toolkit consist of little more than a telephone calling card and a list of dealers.)

wrong-o, chain-drive breath. :ha

my HP2 came with a reversible screwdriver, a tool to unscrew the oil filler cap, and a rubber band to hold it all in place under the seat.

the extra key was $52.

what more could one expect on a $20k motorcycle? :rolleyes

my HP2 came with a reversible screwdriver, a tool to unscrew the oil filler cap, and a rubber band to hold it all in place under the seat.
the extra key was $52. what more could one expect on a $20k motorcycle? :rolleyes
Thirty years ago, BMW motorcycles came with a tool kit that COULD be used to maintain the motorcycle, including changing tires. Twenty years ago, you had to add the feeler gauges and maybe a few wrenches. Ten years ago, my bike came with enough tools to remove and reinstall both wheels as well as change all the light bulbs, the oil & filters, and CHECK the valve adjustment, IF you added feeler gauges.

Perhaps the assumption that BMW now makes, that today's average motorcyclist doesn't know which end of a screwdriver is the handle nor which end of a soldering iron gets hot, is the correct one. :dunno

Morbidelli sold a shaft drive, 850cc, V8-engined bike about fifteen years ago. IIRC, it listed for something like US$80k. But that included a five year warranty. When you got the bike, you kept the crate. If it needed any work, you sent it back to the factory (for free) for maintenance or repair. I'm GUESSING they didn't come with any tools either.

Morbidelli_V8_at_Legend_MC_2006_CH.jpg

2WD; C; g/s tires.

cool link on the zero bike... the videos in there are amazing.

in thinking about a dream bike over the years, the engine/powerplant technology hasn't crossed my mind as much as some of the other aspects of the ride.

if i were to choose one thing i could have, it would be tires that turned from street to knobby with a button-push.

hydrostatic 2-wheel drive is another (yamaha already has something like this).

active suspension is another wish.

a carbon-fiber frame.

lower seat height... :ha

ian

I have no idea how to edit the poll... But, carbon fiber frame; 2 wheel drive and tires that change from street to knobbies should be added!

I bet someone will come up with some kind of a tire dressing that can be installed and removed like snow chains to switch from Offroad to street and back again!

Words are important

Enduro dream bike is an off road racing or play or trail bike like a KTM 300 E/XC
Dual sport dream bike is street legal but trail worthy like Honda's XR650L
Adventure touring bike would be BMW's GS models or Suzuiki DL's etc.
Pick the type of riding you do and then pick the best model bike.

gpodzo

Back