• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Hello From Montana - New (to me) R1200R

bennyc767

Hey all - just picked up my first BMW after riding (and wanting) my dad's GS for the last couple years. I'm a fairly new rider as well, having been a car guy my entire life. After my dad got into riding, I picked up a used supersport as it fit my personality (and budget) along with being fast - which was very important to me a couple years ago. Well since owing my first street bike I've bought a house, matured a little bit, and wanted something I could ride with my dad on long trips. Enter the R1200R. I saw a R1150R for sale here and thought it really looked like a good combination of performance and comfort for riding with my dad. I started looking and found a really nice 2007 R1200R with 17k for sale fairly close by (Denver). Bought it after talking with the dealership over the phone.

I ended up flying down to pick it up last weekend. Rode from the shop into the mountains on a round about way to Fort Collins in 96 degree heat, but really enjoyed this thing from the get go. It came with ABS, heated grips, Givi bags, a nice wind screen, and really ate up the miles. Day two was Fort Collins to Dubois, WY... I had a ball blasting across Wyoming on this thing. I couldn't believe how (as long as my posture was good) I could ride this thing all day without breaking a sweat. I ended up doing my last stretch home through Grand Teton National Park where the temperature was 37 degrees, but I had the gear to get me home. Got rained on and snowed on into Yellowstone, then stopped in Big Sky for an IPA (one) and some soup to warm up. The trip into Bozeman was rainy, but uneventful.

Only once did I get the finger by a tourist in GTNP who thought I should be tailgating the car in front of me (like he was me). He passed me doing double the speed limit (35) and got behind another vehicle, only to be the next car in front of me at the YNP entrance. My line moved quicker than his did, and I ended up in front of him again. This time though I rolled on the throttle out of sight, never to see his Honda van again, apparently he came all that way to be in a hurry!

In summary I can't say enough about the bike or the BMW experience so far. I got stopped both times I stayed the night to chat with fellow Beemer (that's the right spelling, right?) owners. First guy was a GS owner, the second had a RT, both very enthusiastic about the bikes and I felt like we could chat for hours if a beer wasn't calling my name.

Anyway, here she is:

IMG_6981.jpg

IMG_6986.jpg

IMG_6992.jpg

IMG_7014.jpg

IMG_7018.jpg

IMG_7024.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum. Nice ride, and nice ride home. Not sure but it sounds like you're in the Bozeman area?

Hello back

Nice post and great pictures. Welcome to the BMW MOA. Can’t wait to ride with you. Dadman:wave

Nice ride! Welcome to the forum.

Thanks!

Welcome to the forum. Nice ride, and nice ride home. Not sure but it sounds like you're in the Bozeman area?

Thanks, glad to be here. Yes originally from Butte but living in Bozeman now!

Nice post and great pictures. Welcome to the BMW MOA. Can’t wait to ride with you. Dadman:wave

Haha thanks, same here old guy!

Where in MT? We are in the Helena area.

Bozeman, I have a few friends and colleagues in Helena.

Welcome

Thanks!

Thanks, glad to be here. Yes originally from Butte but living in Bozeman now!

Haha thanks, same here old guy!

Bozeman, I have a few friends and colleagues in Helena.

Wow, quite the ride home! Welcome to the group and your bike looks great!
Jerry

Back