• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Driving lights

Yes I have them on my 650GS (twin). I like them and bought them through Wunderlich America.

I have Motolights on my R1200RT. This is a better installation for the RT and looks better for twice the price though.

Jack

I put on the smaller rectangular KC HiLites Driving lights with custom - made steel rod brackets from the fairing frame. Speaking as an automotive exterior lighting designer for 21 years, the better the reflector around the bulb, the more light you will get, whatever the bulb wattage is. I reduced my 100W H3 bulbs to 55W H3 to be easier on the bike's battery and charging system. Mine run from the battery , thru a fuse and relay. Relay triggered by Hi beam ,very little amp , wire input and a switch to completely turn off circuit, when needed.
KC lights have excellent reflectors - about $55 each at off-road vehicle stores, you can get 3 different lenses - legal reasons. chrome or black housings. rubber bellows hides the mounting pivots. I have used same model of driving light on '84 R80GS, '91 GoldWing, and now the R1200RT.
I put large "Cobra" brand , bullet-style driving lights on the Shadow .
I silicone seal all driving lights no matter who makes them or even though they have "seals" already, because you don't want moisture in the lamp touching bulbs or reflectors. Driving speeds really can drive water into lamps if they aren't practically hermetically sealed (look at some car headlights !).

I silicone seal all driving lights no matter who makes them or even though they have "seals" already, because you don't want moisture in the lamp touching bulbs or reflectors. Driving speeds really can drive water into lamps if they aren't practically hermetically sealed (look at some car headlights !).

Great idea. I'm running a set a moto's and like them a lot, but have not been able to make the 100% water proof and have been through a few bulbs, free through the company, but I would rather not change them at all and will try this. Using any particular silicone? :thumb

Yes I have them on my 650GS (twin). I like them and bought them through Wunderlich America.

I have Motolights on my R1200RT. This is a better installation for the RT and looks better for twice the price though.

Jack

Hi, which mottolights do you have for the R1200RT? And can you post a picture of them on your bike? Were they easy to install? Do you happen to have a parts list for the total install? (no worries if you don't, thanks for any further information you can provide).

Thanks

I have a 2008 R1200RT and would like to install brighter lights with more coverage of the road.

Hi, which mottolights do you have for the R1200RT? And can you post a picture of them on your bike? Were they easy to install? Do you happen to have a parts list for the total install? (no worries if you don't, thanks for any further information you can provide).

Motolights come as a complete kit. The lights themselves are essentially the same - strap mount, caliper mount, and fender mount for some bikes. The kits also contain a complete relay equipped wiring harness with switch.

You can choose brushed aluminum, black, or chrome$. There are a couple of choices for the front lens ring - recessed, knurled, etc.

The newer caliper mounts are supposedly more attractive - but I like the original and still available strap mounts. This makes them "install and forget." The caliper mounts require re-aiming at each tire or brake pad change. Not difficult - but not needed at all with the strap mounts.

I had Moto Lites installed on my CLC at the Rally in TN. The caliper mounts are great and the additional light when riding home from work after mid-night is excellant both to the sides and front. Ride Safe :usa :usa

A question

Hi,

I just got motolights for my R1200R. I need to know how much to torque down the caliper mounting bolt and I haven't been able to find the number here or on r12002.org.

Does anyone know the number?

Thanks in advance.

Liam

I saw the Clearwater LED lamps at the International MC show last month and I was very impressed with the quality, mounting and being able to vary the brightness. Somthing you might want to look at before you decide.
Larry

Hi,

I just got motolights for my R1200R. I need to know how much to torque down the caliper mounting bolt and I haven't been able to find the number here or on r12002.org.

Does anyone know the number?

Thanks in advance.

Liam

Brake calipers on Hexheads - 24 Nm rear/30Nm front

Back