• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

1993 K75S -- Extending the mirrors?

GordonOlson

I am sure this has been asked and answered before but I couldn't find any definitive info, so here goes. What is the best/easiest way to extend the mirrors on a K75S. I am getting tired of looking at my shoulders and having to do gyrations to actually see what is directly behind me. The mirrors are fine as side view mirrors (especially with small convex mirrors attached) but not much good as true rear view mirrors. Suggestions????

Thx,
Gordy

PS: I think I read somewhere that the mirrors designed for the R1200ST will fit a K75S without any tinkering and give a better view. Any truth to that???

I own a K1100RS and I have thought about installing a stem type mirror on the handle bar. If I remember correctly, there are two un-used holes on either side near the switches or some where in there. I am not sure if the K75 has that set up also. I also have been looking for a solution and the other option that is getting cheaper is the rear view cameras. I would only use something like that on trips when the bike is loaded and completely blocks my mirrors.

http://www.k11og.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11425&highlight=&sid=50ae6fa4182fdf9a924b426cca4a2bcc

Go see this thread and it shows the threaded hole

I own a K1100RS and I have thought about installing a stem type mirror on the handle bar. If I remember correctly, there are two un-used holes on either side near the switches or some where in there. I am not sure if the K75 has that set up also. I also have been looking for a solution and the other option that is getting cheaper is the rear view cameras. I would only use something like that on trips when the bike is loaded and completely blocks my mirrors.

Go see this thread and it shows the threaded hole

The K75S uses those holes to mount its mirrors.

I have a friend that installed bar end mirrors on his K75S for the very reason that the OP states.

Similar to: http://www.mklsportster.com/r100s/r100s - mirror.jpg

:dance:dance:dance

Here's the solution:

R80GS or R80ST mirrors---what I have on mine and they work. Don't know why this hasn't been brought up before or at least more often. The stock mirrors must have been designed made for Mr. Thin Man or Mr. Invisible!

Try the ST mirrors; you'll be able to see what is actually behind you.

Pics of my K75S, which I sold, you can definitely see how much more the mirrors extend out, although it is the older "flatter" style of mirror head. Not sure which model but probably what the previous guy said, i know it was a similar year R bike.

Attachments

• 000_0745.jpg
    000_0745.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 180
Those are the ones!

Thanks for posting that photo Gilly (and nice bike, too!)---those are the same mirrors I'm using. There might be other model airheads that these mirrors were used on but I know R80STs for sure.

Extended Mirrors

Use mirrors from R1100GS. MaxBMW has part numbers on the fiche where they show the mirrors for the K75S.

Might be able to find some used ones at the used parts suppliers.

I have bar end mirrors installed. They look good and work well. No complaints...other than they loosen up over time a bit. The mechanism for keeping them tight is under-engineered.

I wonder if there's a higher quality product out there?

Attachments

• IMG-20120407-00048.jpg
    IMG-20120407-00048.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 155
Lots of bikes have mirror extenders available, as well as long stem mirrors. I know one guy who machined his own, not that difficult.

Try them you'll like them

The nice thing about the R80ST mirrors is that they're plug and play as well as commensurate with the overall style of the K75---they are long enough to see what's behind but do not look out of place (unlike the somewhat goofy bar-end variety).

Don't get me wrong, I like bar-end mirrors on old airheads and cafe racers but don't they seem a bit out of place on a Brick? Just my opinion which I am happy to dispense...:D

The nice thing about the R80ST mirrors is that they're plug and play as well as commensurate with the overall style of the K75---they are long enough to see what's behind but do not look out of place (unlike the somewhat goofy bar-end variety).

Don't get me wrong, I like bar-end mirrors on old airheads and cafe racers but don't they seem a bit out of place on a Brick? Just my opinion which I am happy to dispense...:D

I don't think they look out of place personally, but I fully respect your opinion that they do. Functionally and ergonomically, it's a very good solution - which may be why I never considered the aesthetics.

Another better place would be attached to the fairing I think. The RS airheads are set up that way aren't they?

I think the round "Mickey Mouse ears" stock mirrors look goofy on the angular shaped K75Ss.:dunno.

I changed mine to lower rectangular aftermarket mirrors.

:dance:dance:dance

Yes, Jasper, the old RTs and other models had the mirrors built in to the fairing which was functional, aerodynamic and ergonomically pleasing. I suspect that they didn't do that with the K75s as the fairing is either a bit too low or not wide enough (that's only a guess).

I had forgotten about Lee's approach which, like yours, provides excellent visibility. That's really the most important factor in any case, come to think of it.

In an ideal world, the K75 series might have come with Vitaloni mirrors; super-cool futuristic Italian aftermarket mirrors that could have provided a stylistic blend of form and function. I could picture a pair of those mounted on either side of the my fairing.:drink

I went with the simple solution -- R1100GS mirrors. They installed easily but I had to get two "left" mirrors (and then rotate one mirror to create a "right" one). The right hand mirror on the R1100GS has a different base than the left one and it can't just be threaded through the right hand mirror hole on the K75S. Thanks for all the help, guys!
Ride safely, Gordy

Old thread but hopefully still active in theory... Does anyone actually have a table/list of measurements of the various mirrors? Specifically comparing the OEM K75S mirrors vs. others? Trying to prep before purchase. I actually installed C bars on my K75S to address the mirrors and while better, my arms/elbows still get in the way.

Note: Not sure if I'll stay with the C bars long term. I like the width but feels a bit high to me - I've got long arms; e.g. 36.5 sleeve.

I didn't do it to an S but on my K75RT I added handlebar mounted mirrors. They use the unused mirror mounts on the handlebars and use the same mirrors available for the unfaired K75 bikes.

Mirrors

This was my solution, 2 hex couplers from a hardware store.
Don’t know if the photo will turn out

Attachments

• 0586921F-DDC4-4C02-973F-B5DD7548D499.jpg
    0586921F-DDC4-4C02-973F-B5DD7548D499.jpg
    220.2 KB · Views: 73
Back