• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Tool Questions for Wethead

gsinnc

I am working on putting together a tool kit for my new R1200GS and at the same time updating the tool kit for my '16 R1200RTW.

Hoping folks can answer a couple questions

• The Final Drive has a T40 Fill Plug and T45 Drain plug?
    The rear wheel bolts are T50?
    The Oil Drain plug is a M10 hex?

And assume both bikes being Wetheads would be the same?

Just want to confirm what I believe is the case.

Thanks in advance

I am working on putting together a tool kit for my new R1200GS and at the same time updating the tool kit for my '16 R1200RTW.

Hoping folks can answer a couple questions

• The Final Drive has a T40 Fill Plug and T45 Drain plug?
    The rear wheel bolts are T50?
    The Oil Drain plug is a M10 hex?

Those are the correct sizes for my 2018 RT. Note: The engine drain plug is an M10 Allen (internal hex).

Rev 1: Whoops! Lee (Post #5) is right and I am wrong! The Final Drive fill plug is, indeed, an M6 Allen hex.

I'll defer to others about the GS.

I wish you blue skies, green lights, and brown plugs!

Last edited:
Those are the correct sizes for my 2018 RT. Note: The engine drain plug is an M10 Allen (internal hex).

I'll defer to others about the GS.

I wish you blue skies, green lights, and brown plugs!

Thanks! Now I just need confirmation that they are the same on a 2018GS

FYI

I've made a list of the tools required to remove the wheels on a R1200RTWC. My 2018 RT will be my first bike that does not have a functional tool kit so I put this list together so I could at least remove the wheels if needed.

Front wheel
1. T30 torx bit --- To remove ABS sensor
2. T45 torx bit --- To remove axle pinch bolts
3. 13mm deep socket --- To remove brake caliper --- Deep socket not needed for front but can used for front and rear if deep
4. 17mm standard socket --- To remove bolt on left side of shaft

Rear wheel
1. T25 torx bit --- To remove muffler guard
2. T40 torx bit --- To remove rear bolt on muffler
3. T50 torx bit --- To remove lug bolts
4. 13mm deep socket --- To loosen muffler clamp -- Deep socket needed for rear, standard socket will work for front.

Both wheels
1. 3/8" ratchet
2. 3/8" X 4" to 6" extension

I'm going to put together the above set and keep it on the bike at all times. My biggest problem while traveling is usually tires.

Many people have destroyed that FD drain plug so look twice on what you grab to take it out. .

Some people see the hex for the fill and take for granted the drain is also a hex. The drain is hard to see unless you lay on the floor or use a mirror.

Here's a picture of my final drive hex fill plug.
Final Drive Fill.JPG

Here's a picture of the torx drain plug.
Final Drive Drain (1).JPG

Many people have destroyed that FD drain plug so look twice on what you grab to take it out. Why they would do that is beyond me.

And of course the sage advice make sure you get the fill open first, then the drain. I always open my fill before the drain to facilitate the rush of fluid to help carry dirt out. But I have heard stories of guys dropping the FD drain and then not being able to fill it because the fill bolt would not come out for one reason or another.

Because they can....
I work with a German engineering company and their stubbornness is legendary, often not in a good way either...:banghead

Many people have destroyed that FD drain plug so look twice on what you grab to take it out. Why they would do that is beyond me.

And of course the sage advice make sure you get the fill open first, then the drain. I always open my fill before the drain to facilitate the rush of fluid to help carry dirt out. But I have heard stories of guys dropping the FD drain and then not being able to fill it because the fill bolt would not come out for one reason or another.

Two excellent points!

I like Allen head internal hex head fasteners and I like Torx head fasteners. What I don't like are both on the same vehicle to invite using the wrong tool and damaging a fastener. I wish BMW would have picked one or the other and used them throughout. End of rant; we now return to our regularly scheduled programming.

FYI

I've made a list of the tools required to remove the wheels on a R1200RTWC. My 2018 RT will be my first bike that does not have a functional tool kit so I put this list together so I could at least remove the wheels if needed.

Front wheel
1. T30 torx bit --- To remove ABS sensor
2. T45 torx bit --- To remove axle pinch bolts
3. 13mm deep socket --- To remove brake caliper --- Deep socket not needed for front but can used for front and rear if deep
4. 17mm standard socket --- To remove bolt on left side of shaft

Rear wheel
1. T25 torx bit --- To remove muffler guard
2. T40 torx bit --- To remove rear bolt on muffler
3. T50 torx bit --- To remove lug bolts
4. 13mm deep socket --- To loosen muffler clamp -- Deep socket needed for rear, standard socket will work for front.

Both wheels
1. 3/8" ratchet
2. 3/8" X 4" to 6" extension

I'm going to put together the above set and keep it on the bike at all times. My biggest problem while traveling is usually tires.

Nice list, I would add a front wheel removal hex tool to that. It makes it a lot easier to loosen and torque the shaft. That or a 19 mm hex.

front wheel removal hex tool.jpg

I wish BMW would have picked one or the other and used them throughout. .

Same here.
One that surprised me was the clutch reservoir cover uses Torx but the front brake reservoir cover uses Torx Plus.

Same here.
One that surprised me was the clutch reservoir cover uses Torx but the front brake reservoir cover uses Torx Plus.

The mind boggles.

I'd never hear of Torx Plus before this posting. Went out and took a look at Heinrich von Goosengo and sure enough; Torx Plus on the brake reservoir.

The mind boggles.

I'd never hear of Torx Plus before this posting. Went out and took a look at Heinrich von Goosengo and sure enough; Torx Plus on the brake reservoir.

No kidding!

Are they used anywhere else? Hope not as I don't need more tools!

No kidding!

Are they used anywhere else? Hope not as I don't need more tools!

I have not spotted another Torx Plus fastener.
The TP 20 bit is the only Torx Plus bit I own.
Because the torque value is so low a regular Torx bit would probably work but I like using the correct tool.

I noticed the different fastener when I was on a long boring road šŸ˜

Back