• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Standing while riding

lstayner

I see a lot of adventure riders on the highway standing on the pegs. I will also do this on occasion to cool the jewels and stretch some muscles on the RT. My questions is: Is it legal to ride on the highway standing? I haven't met a LEO while doing it. Just as soon know before I get a citation.

Hard Tellin, Thout Knowin. :dunno As you said tho, I do it too for all the same reasons on my GT. I've never been stopped, but I don't recall seein all too many LEOs neither... It was a bit more straight-forward when I was riding my F800GS, but I'm surprised how easy it is to stand-up on 'The Beast.' :thumb

Pretty lengthy discussion here

I heard several riders at the National Rally in NY a couple years ago were cited for "stunting" because they were standing while riding...

Seems like most states have a law that basically says you must be seated while riding.

However, whether you get cited is a different animal... You're probably fine if you don't give them another reason to pull you over ie. you aren't speeding, have a helmet, gloves, and jacket on (especially hi-viz), you aren't doing a wheelie or trying to stand on the gas tank...

I've seen posts here that it's considered stunting in Ontario and will get you a ticket.
Don't know if it's illegal in any US states.

Pretty lengthy discussion here

I heard several riders at the National Rally in NY a couple years ago were cited for "stunting" because they were standing while riding...

Seems like most states have a law that basically says you must be seated while riding.

However, whether you get cited is a different animal... You're probably fine if you don't give them another reason to pull you over ie. you aren't speeding, have a helmet, gloves, and jacket on (especially hi-viz), you aren't doing a wheelie or trying to stand on the gas tank...

That story and the one about the guy(s) arrested for riding with raised chin bars on their modular helmets. It was quite the "tempest in the teapot" for a day or two.

At every national I've ever attended, there's always some story like this. I think a lot of folks would be unhappy, if there wasn't.

I've seen posts here that it's considered stunting in Ontario and will get you a ticket.

It's also technically illegal in British Columbia however the cops do have discretion. The law was designed to combat the stand-up-wheelie-in-traffic types who surfaced a few years ago. Most of those idiots have now quit riding or are too injured to throw a leg over a motorcycle.

I have never heard of anyone being charged after standing up on the pegs to stretch or "air out the jewels".

I do this all the time on my r1100rt commuter bike to cool off when traffic speeds up and I am not splitting lanes for a bit and also due to the condition of the secondary roads in Santa Cruz County. The first few miles from and to my house are so bad its easier to stand and motoX those stretches to save my back.

other reasons to do it:

- You can jump up and down on the pegs and get some blood moving and a little exercise.
- You can see over vehicles in front for a quick check of road/traffic conditions ahead.
- Reminds people there's a human being on the motorcycle not the boogie-man.
- Good practice for when you have to carry two passengers :)

Ohio law says motorcycle riders (drivers) and passengers must be seated while riding. Occasionally I stand up on my RT while riding to stretch my legs. I also break the speed limit laws. You takes your chances.

I'm gonna call my next band "Cool the Jewels".

I saw a ton of guys doing that at the National Rally. I wasn't sure why, a young lady who took the GEARS class told me they do it because it looks cool.

I have a habit of standing for a second or two once I get moving on some occasions, picked it up years ago. Less to cool the jewels and more to let my pants settle better. If that makes sense. But I'm never doing it at more than like 15 or so. If you're standing on the pegs at 70 on the Interstate, you're either braver or crazier than I am. (I have slid onto the backseat to stretch my legs on the slab).

Interesting topic.

At the rally this year I noticed one guy on a GS put-putting around on the grounds standing. I got the impression this is how he always rides at low speeds (of course I have no real way of knowing that, that's just me). I thought it odd in that he was on the pavement. I think it makes sense on the dirt or gravel, but on pavement? I walked away thinking it was silly.

I saw a ton of guys doing that at the National Rally. I wasn't sure why, a young lady who took the GEARS class told me they do it because it looks cool.

I have a habit of standing for a second or two once I get moving on some occasions, picked it up years ago. Less to cool the jewels and more to let my pants settle better. If that makes sense. But I'm never doing it at more than like 15 or so. If you're standing on the pegs at 70 on the Interstate, you're either braver or crazier than I am. (I have slid onto the backseat to stretch my legs on the slab).

Interesting topic.

Beats the hell out of an oil thread. :)

I think Motorex 15W-50 mixed with a little Staburags is best for lubing the footpegs. Makes the transition from seated to sliding face-first down the road much, much smoother and faster!

:bolt

OK, but what brand Mink Oil should I use to lubricate my seat? Same for the pillion section?

Oil

What kind of oil do you use on those jewels while standing :scratch
I have a 94 R1100RS I do stand to get some relief but if I do it very often the relief from standing and stretching is offset by the pain in my knees from standing and setting :banghead

What kind of oil do you use on those jewels while standing :scratch
I have a 94 R1100RS I do stand to get some relief but if I do it very often the relief from standing and stretching is offset by the pain in my knees from standing and setting :banghead

I would use a medication called "Growaset" :)

I also saw guys doing this....more than one at the National. It looked silly to me, and I agree with the young lady. It sends a message to me that they really can't ride. Of course, if you are on sand, gravel, or mud it helps. I don't recall there being any at the National :banghead.

Not being an off-road rider, I was wondering why the folks on GS bikes do stand while riding off-road. Why do they do that?

I have done that on my RT a time or two just to see what all the fuss was about, but usually at low speed and only for a moment.

Thanks,
William

Not being an off-road rider, I was wondering why the folks on GS bikes do stand while riding off-road. Why do they do that?

I have done that on my RT a time or two just to see what all the fuss was about, but usually at low speed and only for a moment.

Thanks,
William

Lowers the center of gravity, one can put weight on the front of bike while climbing and put the weight further to the rear when doing downhills. I rode the Dalton last year to the arctic circle and back. First 130-140 miles seated at 40-45mph and being bounced all over the seat, The last 60 miles I stood up, was able to move up to 55mph and had a lot more stability taking the pot holes and keeping the bike up on the loose stuff that turned slick as snot after a light rain.

The off road courses all have you standing on the pegs for a reason. It's NOT just because it looks cool. All the dirt riders on smaller bikes do the same once on the dirt. It's not exclusive GS riders. Watch the motocross races, they stand not sit. If sitting held any advantage they'd be sitting, the advantage is in standing.

Back