• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Rick Mayer vs Bill Mayer vs Russell vs other custom seats

Thanks for the photos. And I didn't miss it on the first page, but great of you to post it again so it is rest of the photos.

I surprised to read that the Rick Mayer seats have had problems with long term durability. I'm curious if that is the exception or the rule; if anyone has any thoughts on that.

I surprised to read that the Rick Mayer seats have had problems with long term durability. I'm curious if that is the exception or the rule; if anyone has any thoughts on that.

I put 150k miles on the one on my R1100RS. The foam did sack out, and a seam started to open. Rick rebuilt the seat completely, for free. Lifetime warranty. I have three bikes with his seats on them -- well, the R90S has his foam under the stock recover job -- and they all look and perform great.

Both mine and my ex-GFs RM seats were showing very significant wear in the leather at 1 year and under 15K miles. Both bikes were stored inside.

Jim :brow

Both

I have had Sargent, Rick Mayer and Bill Mayer seats. Personal preference is the Bill Mayer. I did not like all the stitching on the Rick Mayer plus mine was too soft. I had good working experience with all three

I had Rick Mayer seats on my RT. Liked them a lot, very much better than OEM. I was generally pleased, however, the saddle was not ready until over a month after it was originnaly promised. They offered vague reasons why. I was prepared for this, as other customers had warned me. Overall, I think it was worth it.

It looks like a toss-up. You'll be happy with either one. I am lucky enough to live three hours from Rick Mayer. I drove in and after he fitted the seat and I sat on it, he then took it off the bike, took off the cover and tweaked it. That was important. Driving up there was not fun on the OEM seat and driving back, even with the new seat not broken in, was really pleasant!

Bill Mayer - bravo

My 1100RT had a Bill Mayer seat upon it when I bought the bike. After a very helpful phone call, I sent the seat to California with my measurements and requirements - I am shorter than the previous owner and needed the seat narrowed so I could flat foot the bike.
I had the seat back within weeks while I was on a biz trip, accompanied by gratis leather cleaner. Everyone I spoke with at the shop was graciously helpful and informative, taking time to answer all my "first time custom saddle buyer" questions. Saddle is very comfortable with hundreds of miles per day a non issue - I chose smooth leather tapered and curved to fit my riding style and height. Read their measurement instructions - they're very comprehensive.

I bought a custom seat in '06 for my RT. I sent an email to RM and Russel at the same time. The Russel email was replied to promptly and professionally. I never heard from RM. I did a ride in and Russel did a beautiful job. The seat is still great. I've seen numerous thread about RM service. I can't recall ever seeing one about Russel.

It seems to me that no one has really complained regarding poor quality or service with Bill Mayer. Anyone? Just to be sure. I'm heading towards Bill as my choice.

I bought an 07RT this past August. I had planned a 2,500 mile trip before I saw an opportunity to sell my 1150RT and pick up the 1200. With 2 weeks before leaving I wanted a better saddle and Bill committed to get mine turned around and back to me before I left. I took a chance and sent my seat and pictures and Bill delivered like he said. I really like the clean look of the smooth leather and my gf and I had a great and comfortable trip. I couldn't be more pleased.

I have a Rick Mayer saddle on my 2005 R1200GS - 4 years, 50,000 rough, dual-sport miles and it still looks great. Oh, and it is very comfortable.

Mayer vs. Russell?

I have a production date on a Russell seat,any thoughts out there on these versus Mayer seats.I can still back out.

I have a production date on a Russell seat,any thoughts out there on these versus Mayer seats.I can still back out.

Hi. I've been interested in viewing an answer/comment on your question. I hope someone can provide you with some info. I have Semper_Fi rename the thread hoping that would attract some other than Mayer experiences for you (and all of us).

I've had them both. My experience with the Russell was that it was the most comfy long distance saddle available...for the road. Unfortunately my riding was a mix of pavement and dirt, and in the dirt I like to use all of the saddle. The Russell's fat wings kept me from sliding back while standing on the pegs; they cut painfully into the back of my thighs especially on bumpy downhills.

Was interested in a Mayer, but wasn't sure which one. I was impressed by Bill Mayer. When I asked him the difference between his seats and Rick Mayer's seats, he told me to sit on both and choose the one most comfortable for my body. When I asked the Rick Mayer rep the same question I got 10 minutes worth of venting about a family dispute and nothing about the seat. They might be great seats, but that venom was a real turn off. I went with Bill Mayer and have been very happy with it. It's certainly not as comfortable as the Russell for me after 600 miles, but is much more versatile given my style of riding. And I had to admit that I don't often need to ride more than 500 miles in a day.

Workmanship is equal between the two companies. Slight nod to Mayer for customer service and communication. YMMV

Pete

I bought a Russel seat several years ago. Well made, and the most comfortable seat I've used.

Russell Seat

I've been following this thread with great interest and doing some investigations with others that I know about their experiences with custom-built seats. I know a guy who has done the 48-plus Iron Butt Ride in 8 days and change and he swears by Russell. In the end I've decided to go with Russell and have a production date in late February. I am an inseam challenged rider riding a low seat, low suspension 2009 RT and included extensive information about this in my application. I was pleased to hear that another option that would be available to me if I decided the day-long seat would raise me up too high, would be a Russell Sport seat that would not raise me up at all and although not as comfortable as a day long, would be more comfortable than what I have now and about 20% less expensive than a day-long saddle. I've requested to speak with the seat builder after he reviews all of my information and before he starts, I'm hopeful that between the two of us we'll able to determine if a day-long is in the cards for me or if it would be safer to go with the sport saddle. They seemed quite accomodating about this and told me the builder would be calling me before they start any work. I hope I can get the day-long because I am planning to do some long distance days on this bike. We'll see, thanks for your input everyone, it has been helpful to review everyone's experiences. Don

how do you get the heated seat option to work with a Bill or Rick saddle????

RE: Rick Mayer Heated Seats

I guess if you do a ride-in appointment, he'll just rebuild on your existing seat pans and you'll retain the switching/wiring functions.

If you're mail ordering (and exchanging) seat pans, you need to specify that your bike has heated seats and he'll build your new one on the correct seat pan.

Other than needing to replace a defective pillion heat rocker switch when my seat arrived, the heat works fine -- I would add that the driver seat takes a bit longer to heat with the new seat. The pillion heat works great.

Beemeup...I have the RDL on my 06 RT and am inseam challenged and had a regular height RT...the RDL seat raised me up at least 1.5 inches.....and I spent a lot of time with "Heather" on exactly how much the seat would raise me up and it was not really explained to me that the seat would be that much higher.

I have put lowering shocks on the RT to make it at least rideable for me.. even with the low shock, low seat option the russell day-long seat is going to put you back up some. I sent my seat back to be adjusted and Russell did what I asked but the seat is still too high for my liking..

but!...the seat is soooo comfortable I decided to live with it being a "little" too high for my liking....

in the trade off between comfort and flat footing...comfort won out! If I had to do it again..I wouldn't buy the day-long seat and look for another custom seat maker that could keep me flat-footed and comfortable...the day-long won't do both...at least not to my experience....

An excerpt from a 2006 post in another forum...

- - - - - - -
My concern on "Wild Blue", my 1200LT ( and that of my co-pilot), was the "sitter mechanism"... that's the part we sit on... and the basic "sitter" wasn't too comfy. Hours of research and almost as many hours in verbal discussions (my many thanks to TallyHo and his co-pilot Jeanie), we decided on the Rick Mayer "sitter" alternative.

This boys and girls, is a class act! Rick is as down home as you can get. He believes in his product, knows his stuff and backs it completely. I originally thought that I would drive "Wild Blue" to his shop, be ushered into a lavish waiting room and be allowed to see her majesty only when the new seat was installed (which I could have done by the way, however, I opted for being an active participant... ). Rick Mayer has only good people working for him, and Seth, Rick's co-partner in creativity, is pulling Wild Blue's seat as soon as we get off the bike. Seth walked us thru the removal process, material selection, cutting process... this guy is a credit to the whole seat reconstruction application. He's as true a craftsman as Rick is... and he cares not only about you as a customer, but the machine as well.

This was a three hour magical mystery tour. Thru it all Rick explained who, how and why; along with a healthy dose of kibitzing between he and Seth. But to watch Rick and Seth "sculpt" the final product... well, let's just say it was dam entertaining AND very educational. What is even more amazing is to watch Rick crank out the stitched product. The words "Master Artisan" comes to mind...

While there are many manufacturers out there making custom seats, I whole heartedly recommend Rick Mayer's Motorcycle seats for looks, construction and support by the manufacturer.

I have been there;
I have seen how it's done;
It was explained to me in detail and works as advertised;

The finished seat looks almost like the bike was built that way from the factory.

It was also a most enjoyable day of riding...

If the basic version of your "sitter" is a tad uncomfortable (and those of you who squirm in the seat after 2 hours of solid riding, you know who you are), you should look into a more comfortable seat. I put Mr. Rick Mayer's seat on the highly highly recommended list. If you can make the trip to his shop, it's even more fun to be there and watch the whole process in person. Just don't be surprised if he puts you to work...

- - - - - - -

Even today, the seat is perfect in all respects. If I ever buy another scooter, the R. Mayer seat will be the first farkle it gets...

Back