• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

The RA rally Location 2010

Nice rides, but the Adirondack rides both
cross a bridge at Crown Point that NYS DOT
blew up this year. A detour south or a ferry
trip will be required.
mXa

Exactly!

Trying to plan a good ride that will cross the ferry at Addison Point (free) go through the Adirondacks and return and take the second ferry at Ticonderoga (couple of bucks); two cruises in one day!

Any chance they will be posted online as gpx files ahead of time?

Personally, I will have routes planned, and programmed into the GPS, prior to arriving at the rally.

That is what we are working on!

For some gnarly GS riding GPS files for the roads and gaps of Vermont, click here.

Pre-posted routes

Any chance they will be posted online as gpx files ahead of time?

Personally, I will have routes planned, and programmed into the GPS, prior to arriving at the rally.

That's the plan. We're in the process of mapping favorite local rides to incorporate the interesting terrain that abounds here, and creating downloadable .gpx files. Hope to have a dozen or more completed in the near future. Stay tuned. Best, Lyman

That's the plan. We're in the process of mapping favorite local rides to incorporate the interesting terrain that abounds here, and creating down-loadable .gpx files. Hope to have a dozen or more completed in the near future. Stay tuned. Best, Lyman

Lyman originally traveled the roads of Vermont with Ethan Allen and the Green Mountain Boys. He knows every twist, turn, hoot and hollow in the state. Lyman knows roads that Madd Maps and Moto-Maps haven't heard about yet.
tweetywink.gif

Stay tuned.

I have a question about this Rally. Is this open to everyone or only RA members? Also, is it necessary to contact someone to reserve a campsite? Is there a charge for attending this? I've been to the website but didn't find any answers, and would like to attend. Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Bob
'04 K1200GT

I have a question about this Rally. Is this open to everyone or only RA members? Also, is it necessary to contact someone to reserve a campsite? Is there a charge for attending this? I've been to the website but didn't find any answers, and would like to attend. Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Bob
'04 K1200GT

1. Everyone/anyone
2. No - first come/first serve
3. Yes - dunno how much, but usually around $30

Fantastic! I'll see you there! By the way love Spring Lake. We head down there once a year and stay at the spring lake inn. Nice people.

Thanks for the info and see you in VT!

Bob
'04 K1200GT:dance

Thanks,

Bob
'04 K1200GT

f9b4f19b.jpg

An old shot, but you can get the idea.

Open to everyone.

Reserve a campsite? There is so much room available that you could build an 18 hole golf course at the site and still have room left over.

Info? Click here.

It would be wonderful to get to both rallies but if time is limited and you live in the East, Pownal is the perfect location.

Last edited:
what we need is a real campfire. Not a bonfire but a magnificant large campfire..... something like but larger than the one we build in Meat Cove during the Salty Fog Riders Rally (plug... plug). Who knows what this concept might evolve into. :dunno - Bob

I heard that coming early and doin' a lil' fishin' was possible. Is this so? Does it cost us more to come early.... like the 29th? We might be the only ones there but we are willing to assist with setup. - Bob

I heard that coming early and doin' a lil' fishin' was possible. Is this so? Does it cost us more to come early.... like the 29th? We might be the only ones there but we are willing to assist with setup. - Bob

No charge for coming early. Will have a spot reserved for you as soon as the snow melts. ;)

Great many hands make for light work!

Last edited:
I heard that coming early and doin' a lil' fishin' was possible.

Even better: a three-day out-of-state VT license isn't that unreasonable.:thumb

Last edited by a moderator:
I heard that coming early and doin' a lil' fishin' was possible./QUOTE]

Even better: a three-day out-of-state VT license isn't that unreasonable.:thumb

oh this just keeps gettin' better!! I'm bringing a frying pan and a little propane stove just for a taste of those Vermont critters! Well, ok, I fish just about as good as I play hockey...... but maybe I'll get lucky. - Bob

oh this just keeps gettin' better!! I'm bringing a frying pan and a little propane stove just for a taste of those Vermont critters! Well, ok, I fish just about as good as I play hockey...... but maybe I'll get lucky. - Bob

Bring a trotline and some garden hackle. The purists will blanch at such apostasy but ...

I will that bonfire idea. Will check it out with the ground officials.

Bring a trotline and some garden hackle. The purists will blanch at such apostasy but ...

I will that bonfire idea. Will check it out with the ground officials.

aside from some spelling errors, I get yer drift. I will be there with a Canadian Tire Junior Adventurer collapsible rod and reel.... dig my worms riverside and grin. Purists be damned! I have my Scotch and Cigar........ grinnin' - Bob

Last edited:
aside from some spelling errors, I get yer drift. I will be there with a Canadian Tire Junior Adventurer collapsable rod and reel.... dig my worms riverside and grin. Purists be damned! I have my Scotch and Cigar........ grinnin' - Bob

What spelling errors? :laugh A loss of context and meaning but other than that.

Dig the worms or use night crawlers purchased at hardware store, put a trotline in place and go ride. Come back and cook a fish dinner, light up a cigar and chill with a good Vermont micro-brew.

Venemous Heresy !

Dig the worms or use night crawlers purchased at hardware store, put a trotline in place and go ride. Come back and cook a fish dinner, light up a cigar and chill with a good Vermont micro-brew.

Mine eyes are smarting to read such blasphemy! Trotlines? Garden hackle? Night crawlers? Oh, PERISH THE DAY that such bilious vomit should be mentioned in the same airspace as trout fishing. Oh, you BOTTOM FEEDERS. VILLANY, I say!

f9d5f38a.gif

How To Make a Trot Line

A trot line is a long cord with a lot of fish hooks dangling from it. In this area you can run 25 hooks on a non-commercial license. I have known commercial fishermen who ran hundreds of hooks at a time, but 25 is quite enough for me.

With a trot line you can completely cover the width of a channel with your hooks. Tie your line to one side of the channel, stretch your line across and tie off to the other side - any fish passing thru will come near one of your hooks.

You can run your line out into a lake, too. Just tie a brick to the end of your line to weigh it down or tie a floating marker to it. Don't forget what tree you tied your line to. (You could mark it with a bit of cloth or something, but the real fishermen will laugh at you if you do.)

The best thing about a trot line is that you don't have to sit with it. You can put your line out in the morning, go to work or back home, then check your line in the evening. I used to leave my line tied up to my favorite spot. In the mornings I would catch bait, check the line for anything I might have caught overnight, and rebait my hooks as I went along, leaving the rebaited line in the water. After work I would check my lines for the evening catch.

You mainly catch catfish, turtles and crappie on a trot line. Mudfish and Gar, of course, but they are no good. You catch an occasional alligator, too, but you can't keep him and you want to be very careful you don't get an injury trying to pull in a line with an irritated alligator attached. We are talking about a long string of fish hooks here - there is a potential for injury. Trust me.

Judy and I used to catch our bait, bait our hooks and drop our line before heading out to explore the river for the day. We would pick up the line on our way back in at the end of the day, clean our catch on the bridge and head on home. Might be a lazy way to fish, but it suited us.

The same technique could be used in Pownal since the site borders the Hoosick River. It might be best to set your trotline downstream of those folks hurling around all manner of fur and feather on small hooks that might catch an unsuspecting bat or two. Credit should be given to these wading squires of fly fishing for their patience and fancy gear. But poor old country boys know how to feed the youngins.

Heavens I have not even mentioned fishing with cherry bombs.

Last edited:
Back