• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Any Pilots Here?

Does Microsoft Flight Simulator Gold Edition with the Acceleration Expansion Pack count?? I always wanted to fly. Actually started taking lessons about two weeks before the Arab oil embargo, couldn't afford to continue. Friend of mine used to work on the F-14 simulator at Oceana Navy base. I would come in when he worked mid-shift and log some hours. Of the real actual flying machines I have flown there was the SNJ (War birds), Steerman, Schweizer Model 300C helicopter, and of course the ever popular Cessna 172. Except for the SNJ all were orientation flights, no take offs or landing just flying around for 30 minutes to an hour wishing I had continued taking the course. My wife buys me the flights for my birthday. I've been up in the Schweizer 4 times now. Was able to hold a controlled hover on my first try (thanks to Microsoft Flight Simulator). Funny thing, I had a different instructor for each flight and by the fourth flight I was doing so well the instructor asked how long I had been flying, I looked at my watch and said at the end of this flight it will be four hours, he was impressed. Maybe I should have continued taking lessons but the family was growing and college isnÔÇÖt cheap so I take my introductory flights and am happy with the experience.:)

Looks like a police bike with "Motor" designator. I am a retired cop (also?) Commanche, great aircraft till the factory burned down, I used to own a 250 with another guy, until drug runners stole it, and torched it out here in Arizona....

Yep that was the first career and my radio call sign the day I was involved in a collision that forced me to retire. Rode Kaws on duty and for PD rodeo competition. My Comanche was blue and white but I could only find the pic of a red one for the avatar. The tank was the second career, Army Reserves, retired in 2000. Did the A&P thing on light civil aircraft until the wife was able to retire in 04.

I had "Missy", short for Mike's mistress, 5658P for more than a decade. Sweet flying plane, far better than the Cherokee's as far as I am concerned.

Yep that was the first career and my radio call sign the day I was involved in a collision that forced me to retire. Rode Kaws on duty and for PD rodeo competition. My Comanche was blue and white but I could only find the pic of a red one for the avatar. The tank was the second career, Army Reserves, retired in 2000. Did the A&P thing on light civil aircraft until the wife was able to retire in 04.

I had "Missy", short for Mike's mistress, 5658P for more than a decade. Sweet flying plane, far better than the Cherokee's as far as I am concerned.

If you're ever in the central PA area, there's a small museum at the old Piper office building. You might enjoy it.

PPASEL here with Complex and High Performance endorsements.

Never heard of a Complex endorsement, just high perf (retractable gear and constant speed prop, over 200hp=high perf). No??
Maybe they have a Complex endorsement if you have retract and constant speed but under 200hp only guess I'd have, but don't know what bird would fit that bill unless it's a homebuilt.

Never heard of a Complex endorsement, just high perf (retractable gear and constant speed prop, over 200hp=high perf). No??
Maybe they have a Complex endorsement if you have retract and constant speed but under 200hp only guess I'd have, but don't know what bird would fit that bill unless it's a homebuilt.

According to my logbook where the CFIs endorsed, the complex (FAR 61.31(e)) is for retractable landing gear, flaps and a controllable pitch propeller. The high performance (FAR 61.31 (f)) is for an engine of more than 200 horsepower. You can get one without the other.

The complex was in a C172RG Cutlass and the high performance was in a C182 Skylane.

Only single engine Cessna I ever really cared for was the Cardinal, the 190 is pretty cool too though.

It started as a hobby 30 years ago and now it's my job. Current ATP, 737. If I ever own a plane though, it'll be like the one I started on, an Aeronca 7AC Champ. No radios, 75 mph, 3000 agl, a motorcylcle in the sky.

Sure....

Commercial Single Engine, CFII/MEI/AGI/IGI
ATP - 747, MD11, A330, A320, DC9 (717), CE750, CE500, ATR72

working for Hawaiian Airlines

there's only two kinds of aircraft

fighters and targets

252438876_2c2c52ba26_z.jpg

first flight of the last tomcat
260129984_835f95babd_z.jpg

351732124_3cd824330a_z.jpg

SEL, night endorsement, complex aircraft endorsement; all expired now. Flew this for a few years:

scan0002-L.jpg

Those were fun times.

Well I sure am learning a lot on this thread because I was sure I was "endorsed" to fly at night and have done it a number of times without an endorsement listed for it, how does that work??? Found out flying around watching fireworks on the 4th of July isn't as spectacular as I thought it would be.

EDIT I see you are in Canada, very well could be different up there. I know we Americans like to THINK you are the big 51st state we never had but have different flight rules, lol.

Gilly:

Yes. It's a separate endorsement in Canada. It includes 10 hours of instrument time and a night cross country.

The instrument training saved my ass in the Northwest Territories one time, when I got into some heavy forest fire smoke.

...isn't as spectacular...

And night flying is dangerous, like night riding.

Last edited:
You can certainly have a HP and not a complex or vice versa. My Pitts is high performance but not complex. That fellow's M20C would be complex but not high performance. For extra credit, who can name a multi-engine complex airplane that you can fly without a HP endorsement?

Here's my current bird:

CRW_1388-L.jpg

You can certainly have a HP and not a complex or vice versa. My Pitts is high performance but not complex. That fellow's M20C would be complex but not high performance. For extra credit, who can name a multi-engine complex airplane that you can fly without a HP endorsement?

Here's my current bird:

CRW_1388-L.jpg

What a beauty!

Saw a teeny tiny twin at Oshkosh one year, engines looked like little more than lawn mower engines. Can't remember details enough to know if it was a complex. BTW is saying "constant speed prop" (as I was brought up with) and "variable pitch prop" the same thing? I obviously confused complex with high perf, so i might be messed up on props too.
Looking forward to going ahead with plans for my wife and I to go up for awhile with an instructor next spring, seems like an easy way to get back up without jumping through a bunch of hoops I don't know if I want to jump through. If it all feels right maybe I'd go ahead and get current again.

May have been this, I thought the engines were on top of the wings though:
http://www.aerospaceweb.org/question/planes/q0275.shtml

Here's my current bird:

CRW_1388-L.jpg

you're a lucky guy..... that's sweet!

Student pilot here. Just a little over 20 hours in. Due to military commitments though recently I had to take a hiatus from flying and probably won't get to get back into it again till summer or fall of '13.

Student pilot here. Just a little over 20 hours in. Due to military commitments though recently I had to take a hiatus from flying and probably won't get to get back into it again till summer or fall of '13.

Ehh, just borrow a F22, they won't miss it for awhile. Just bring your own barf bag.

Back