• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Ilium Highway Pegs, Tupperware Removal '09 R1200RT

:clap
I just got off the phone with A&S. I actually ordered my pegs 6/29. Not only did they waive shipping (less than $350) at the initial order, he said he would give me the 15% discount as well and refund the amount to my card. No hassle.

They are my go-to supplier from now on.

Smart retailer,has a loyal customer now and the 15% credit will come back to thme 10 fold!

Nice job!:clap

Last edited:
Hi JBrookDavis (real name? We're friendly around here..)

Please read: http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?t=46055 - I'm adding the info to your thread title. Pretty obviously with all the model hexheads, removing the plastic is different across different models, and even different years. Please put that info in the thread title of future posts to the tech forums. Good for you, good for others searching for the same info later.

Welcome to the forum - and as was pointed out - the DIY subforum is a real asset if you're doing any work on your bike.

Best,

"Brooks"

Success!

Well, I did it. It took me about two hours, but I was being extra careful. The only problems I had were the spark plug things that screw into the exhaust were in the way and I couldn't completely remove the brake side fairing. The spark plug things weren't a big deal. I just unscrewed them, installed the mount, then screwed them back in. Does anyone know what the hell those things are or what they do? With the fairing, I think I just didn't disconnect the electical plug. No biggie, the fairing was loose enough to work around and I supported it with a bungee cord over the windscreen.

Took it for an hour ride afterward, ops checked normal.

Thanks for the help and encouragement. Without ya'll, I probably would have taken it to the dealer at $90/ hour. I figure that is found gas money.

:dance

And now that you have it all attached and ready to go, take them back off and paint the white parts black, (like I did today):beer

Pegs

Yep, once you do it, it becomes much easier the next time. The Max BMW video was a big help to me.

Yep, once you do it, it becomes much easier the next time. The Max BMW video was a big help to me.

I printed the pics/instructions off this site and followed them. I probably saved $100+ in labor by doing it myself which more than paid for my membership.

Follow-up on highway pegs...

I rode about 400 miles the other day and tried out the pegs. They are somewhat uncomfortable as the side fairings (A.K.A. "tupperware") dig into your thighs. I have long legs, so it wasn't too bad but it isn't anything like stetching out on a cruiser. That being said, it was nice to have them to stretch my legs for three or four minutes at a time. I recommend them.

The only problems I had were the spark plug things that screw into the exhaust were in the way and I couldn't completely remove the brake side fairing. The spark plug things weren't a big deal. I just unscrewed them, installed the mount, then screwed them back in. Does anyone know what the hell those things are or what they do?
Exhaust gas oxygen sensors -- part of the engine controller's closed-loop management of fuel mixture.

Back