• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Best riding boots and misc.

Who's custom MC boots do you like? I've only gone with custom with my Limmer hiking boots.

I haven't tried custom boots, been using the Cruiserworks 14, extra wide, which are still tight but ok with light socks.. Glad I have two pair, they no longer offer EW.

I have tried nearly ever other so- called wide bike boot on the market. No joy there.

DITTO Combats:)

I'm an offroader and lots of paved touring too. GSA1200 here. I wanted bombproof and got it with my current Combats from Aerostitch. They are in between a street boot and m/x boot, built extremely tough, no leaks and have given much support to my riding style. I kick boulders with them:), stood in foot deep mudholes, whitewater creeks, just can't kill the boots and my feet are dry. They are NOT even advertised as waterproof, but are well designed and work. CONS; Very stout as new and break in takes months, years to happen if you ride less miles. Heavy weight boots and many will complain about that perhaps. NOT my favorite hiking shoe/boot either, so I carry walkjing shoes for extended walking chores around rallies and forest hikes with mileage attached:). On the GSA all day, I could never imagine a better, tougher boot than my Combats and I'm sure a few more exist, I've just been there tried'em all. Randy

CBT's are the best!

I have hiking boots, Alpinestars dirt boots and finally broke down and spent the $$ on CBT's from 'stitch. Great move and probably the last pair I'll ever buy.

The wear issue with hiking boots was a lack of shin protection and with dirt boots, I couldn't wear any kind of regular pants because of all the bulk at the top of the boot.

I've had the Combat Touring Boots for about three months now, and just love 'em. I wear a 10 1/2, ordered an 11, but finally ended up wearing a 10. Perfect fit and cool looking boots. Plenty of walking in them to break 'em in, but so far, so great. You'll never regret doing the same thing. (Just size down, as they don't have any half sizes). Happy wearing!

comfort and safety

if cost is not an issue look at Vendramini boots. first pair lasted 120K miles..just got second pair (with some difficulty - had to buy over internet from them directly). their new style is twice the cost but worth it. custom fit and fit like a glove after 4-5 hours. :brow

To freshen up black plastic

To keep your black plastic black try...Surf City Garage Black Max believe it or not at Wal Mart about $8.00 for 8oz. Apply as directed for a long good look... doesn't seem to wash off or streak as back to black. I use it on the R1200R and the auto...good results on both ... Regarding riding boots the TCX Gore Tex, two buckle, valcro flap, tall boot gives me dry feet and good protection It has a molded sole but a good cobler should be able to apply a vibram sole or heel insert when the time arrises [ the catch is to find a shoe repair person who has the experience to do the work ] In my previous life I sold Red Wing shoes and we worked with some good local shoe repair folks....word of mouth...a good source is railroad linemen and electrical lineman to find that good cobler [compatability of the vibram and the parent sole can present a problem...the coblers experience comes into play at this point] The secret to redoing the Red Wing sole was the glue and the heat set ...30 minute cook time minium... things change but that was the process 8 to 10 yrs ago When repairing a shoe don't let the repair go to long...too much nonrepairable damage can occur

+1 for Sidi Canyons. Very similar design when compared to the CBT Lites, but with very little break-in required. I found their sizing to be true, although I have a narrow foot and have never had the need to find a wide version of any boot.

Tried many boots for fit then took a ride to Aerostich and tried both versions of the combat boots,bought the combat lites and rode home with them on. That was 5 years ago and they still fit great!
:thumb

You have to try them on

I have had difficulty finding dedicated riding boots that didn't look like......

This comment posted by one responder hits it on the head. Another response was about having a wide foot, so try them on.
BMW Boots I'm a 46, Sidi 45, etc. Lot of good recomendations,

I just got the Alpinestars Gran Torino Goretex boots. Been very happy with the comfort so far, both on and off the bike, but haven't tried in extreme heat or rain yet. Worth taking a look.

BATES - a division of Wolverine

The BATES line of side zip boots are great.

I have Fox, BMW, and Bates. The Bates are amazing boot.
Good prices and comfortable.
Remember that some riding boots -- including BMW -- were created by their marketing and sales teams to extend their add on sales to their customer base.
Bates are pure boots with a purpose. My son wore Bates during both his tours in Iraq. Sturdy, well-made, and fair priced.

Tom:twirl
Boots are good if you can dance in them

Whoa.
Combat boots are not riding boots, are not dancing shoes. If I'm dancing, it's because I have changed from my riding boots into my dancing shoes.
Remember, we are living in the age of specialization.
dc

Protection for your saddle bags

I use "303 Aerospace Protectant" for all the black trim on K1200GT. It's not the cheapest, but lasts long and protects against UV without leaving ANY greasy residue. You end up with a natural looking sheen. Available at local marine stores.

Back