• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Motorcycle security on a trip?

I just googled MC thefts in your city & there are 2 listed now-sorry;) We all know, there are bad guys everywhere. Best to be cautious & enjoy the moment as you say.

Statistically Speaking...

BMWs are pretty low on the list of bikes stolen.

Per the NCIB's stats on their website published Sept 2012.

"Overall, there were a total of 46,667 motorcycle thefts in the U.S. in 2011. From 2010 to 2011, motorcycle thefts decreased 6% even though motorcycle sales slightly increased"

"Motorcycle thefts increased during the warmer months, as July and August had the most motorcycle thefts and December, January, and February had the least motorcycle thefts. Motorcycle thefts typically occurred on Mondays and Tuesdays"

Motorcycle Thefts: By Make
1 American Honda Motor Co., Inc. 11,014
2 Yamaha Motor Corporation 8,880
3 American Suzuki Motor Corporation 7,281
4 Kawasaki Motors Corp., U.S.A. 5,009
5 Harley Davidson, Inc. 3,120
6 KTM Sportmotorcycle AG 410
7 KYMCO U.S.A., Inc. 350
8 Vespa International 323
9 Bajaj Auto., Ltd. 294
10 Goldenvale, Inc. - Roketa 286
11 Ducati Motor Holding 232
12 Astronautical Bashan 226
13 Genuine Cycle 197
14 Zhejiang Shenmao Appliance Co Ltd. 153
15 E-TON Power Tech Co Ltd. 150

This totals 37925 of the 46,667 stolen.
and even IF BMW came in at #16 you are looking at <150 total stolen in the year.

As for where stolen: CA,TX, FL, NC & IN are the top 5 representing 40% of all thefts.

So you wanna be safe, based on the stats I'd say Drive a BMW, Ride cooler months, and spend little time in the above mentioned states. COULD your bike be stolen, yes, but odds are against it.

Been in a few places, I would have liked to park bike in the room, it wouldn't fit
I ask, when staying at hotels if I can park in front, or if its the type of motel where you park in front of room do so
Always lock steering forks, remove valuables, set alarm and COVER bike
A lightweight cover is easy to pack, keeps dust and dew off the bike, and keeps curious eyes from exploring your bike

I just googled MC thefts in your city & there are 2 listed now-sorry;) We all know, there are bad guys everywhere. Best to be cautious & enjoy the moment as you say.

Is this quote for me?? And my city?? What site did you google??

Last edited:
I've ridden in 49 states and 21 countries without a cable lock. Don't think people steal BMW's.

Where are you going to park? JK

My experience also. Locking the steering is prob the easiest thing.
Those cables like you describe are very thick and very heavy. A pain to pack and carry. A cover mine with a vanilla cover, ie one that does not advertise BMW inside.

John

Repo work

One of my first jobs was in repo. I leave the keys in my bike. A pro will take it no matter what you do and an amateur will do more damage than a professional trying to circumvent your "protection". BTW, I have left the keys in my motorcycles my entire life and in over 25 countries. Never had a problem.

BTW, I have left the keys in my motorcycles my entire life and in over 25 countries. Never had a problem.

A friend always did that as well. He never had a problem, except in Yellowknife NWT. Someone removed the keys, not the bike. Cost him a $100 to have a locksmith make him a new key. Despite that, that didn't stop him from leaving the keys in the ignition. :laugh

In Alton, IL there is a popular place called Fast Eddies Bon Aire, local hangout for Harley Riders. A couple of years ago there was a story that more HD's were stolen off their parking lot than anywhere else in IL and that is when the owners were in the restaurant!

Always felt pretty safe parking the Beemer there. :laugh

Carry and use a lightweight full cover and you won't have any trouble, out of sight is the way to go.
BTW I take extra care with my windscreens and a old pillow case put on first over the windscreen before the cover prevents any scratches.
I very often leave my bikes in remote places while hiking in the West and I'm convinced the full cover is the reason I've never had any trouble.
Nick Kennedy

A spare

A friend always did that as well. He never had a problem, except in Yellowknife NWT. Someone removed the keys, not the bike. Cost him a $100 to have a locksmith make him a new key. Despite that, that didn't stop him from leaving the keys in the ignition. :laugh

I carry two spares because of this. Mine has been removed twice; both times by well-meaning friends. Of course they were not around when I was ready to ride; spares take care of that.

My son and I are planning a trip in May (each on our own separate motorcycle - I have an R100/7 and son has a K100RS).

My question is this. How do all of you make sure that your motorcycles are not stolen - like at motels or when you have to leave them in a public parking lot while you go do or see something?

!

Hi, I use the same method you did, I bought a BMW.

Nobody steals it, sometimes they feel sorry for me and leave cash on the seat so I can buy a real bike:laugh

Regards, Rod.

P.S. Seriously, the only thing I do is take the tank bag off at night,

Back