• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Retirement!!!

Me Too!

I finally put my official notice to retire on paper and sent it via priority mail to corporate HQ after 32.5 years with my current employer. I decided that 59 years young was about right to begin the next journey. My last day is set for June 8. I am off work on sick leave due to cancer surgery until May 5 so this gives me a month of actual work to hand off and wind down the work part. So the die is cast - can't wait until I feel the actual freedom discussed here. :dance

I finally put my official notice to retire on paper and sent it via priority mail to corporate HQ after 32.5 years with my current employer. I decided that 59 years young was about right to begin the next journey. My last day is set for June 8. I am off work on sick leave due to cancer surgery until May 5 so this gives me a month of actual work to hand off and wind down the work part. So the die is cast - can't wait until I feel the actual freedom discussed here. :dance

Good for you...do all those things you haven't had free time to do...live it while ya got it! Greater future to you.

Who has time to be bored during retirement?

I dropped the engine & transmission of my car to detail them with new fasteners, gaskets, seals, O-rings and to re-plate (yellow zinc) any metal bracket that had the slightest corrosion on them as well as powder coating the engine tin.

And I am in no rush to "slap it together". The GS will be happy since it has had to share time with the 993 the last few years.

BTW, that is the rear wheel of a 1986 R80 G/S PD in the right corner.

i-SSHBC9c-XL.jpg

Congrats Ken, glad to hear you're starting the big vacation. Less than six years to go for me to retirement, so I'll have to get by with the little vacations.

. So the die is cast - can't wait until I feel the actual freedom discussed here. :dance

Freedom in retirement .........what's dat?

I have never been so busy as I have been in these first two years of retirement! As they say, "retirement, you never get a day off":laugh

Enjoy it, even busy as heck, it sure beats the work'n thing

5 Saturdays and 2 Sundays every week!

I retired in September 2013.

Someone asked me what it is like. My reply "5 Saturdays and 2 Sundays each week".

Loving it, not bored, and have discovered naps.

Life is good!

When I retired I bought a almost new BMW K-75 which I told my wife was the last motorcycle I had to buy. 10 motorcycles later, I am still looking for my next "last" motorcycle.

Enjoy life and retirement, Keep Healty

How true. When I retired at 56 I started looking at motorcycles and told my wife that I only wanted to try just one to get it out of my system......Six different motorcycles later, I'm still looking for the next adventure! And my wife originally said that a motorcycle was not figured into the retirement budget! So I retired,redirected my focus and found a part time teaching position on-line to pay for my adventures....been working out great for seven years.:dance

I love this thread!

I have five years, eight months, and two days (Jan 15, 2020/I'll be 59 yo) until I reach the day I become eligible to retire from my second job. I retired from the Marines in '99.

I'm thinking it isn't worth more money to spend more time in the office (as pointed out by other posters).

I'm rounding down and calling it five years.

I just celebrated my 4th year of retirement, and still can't believe it! It seems like yesterday.

I hope those 5 go quick for you because this retirement gig is pretty great! Every day is Saturday.

Riding, fishing, hunting, shooting, every day is better than yesterday, you're going to love it.

I think I am at 5.5 years since I left full time organized employment. Never looked back or had any regrets of doing so.

I am so busy doing what I like to do and so much happier...except forgetting what day it is:laugh As I have mentioned before, I am physically busier than I have been in years since leaving the organized chaos. I tend to skip riding on weekends lately in favor of weekday rides to enjoy open roads more.
Life is good!

I just celebrated my 4th year of retirement, and still can't believe it! It seems like yesterday.

I hope those 5 go quick for you because this retirement gig is pretty great! Every day is Saturday.

Riding, fishing, hunting, shooting, every day is better than yesterday, you're going to love it.

I have considered everyday after the first 2 years of retirement as a bonus day! I'm around 1825 bonus days redeemed now......and hopefully counting!

I wondered when that would be coming out. :D Any surprise finds?

Not a single one. I lucked in big time on this car.

BTW, almost six months since retirement...and loving it.

Leaving the Federal Government was the best thing I could do. I got so tired of the BS and idiots running things. Your tax dollars hard at work. :rolleyes

And I left early and with a huge penalty. Why would I want to work for a place that hands the exam answers weeks in advance to another candidate in a competition I am running for. The complaint to the PSC got shoved under the carpet. May those that kept me down have health issues during their retirement....no mercy from me. :laugh

Retirement Plans . . . . .

While I love working and riding my airhead, our plans for the next year are very different. The BMW goes into mothballs and my wife Lisa and I finish a 9 year project to complete our 1984 Nauticat 33 and go sailing. We have done a total refit and she is better than when new. I am retiring from teaching in June '14 and she will not work for at least a year. Our plans call for a trip to Washington, DC to see the museums and sights, then to Annapolis, MD for the International Sailboat Show in early October. Then south (slowly) eventually arriving in Miami for the holidays. Then in January off to the Bahamas for the winter. After that who knows? Health is good for both of us and that is the most important thing. Bon Voyage!!!
Campbell Tellman
'93 R100RT
:thumb

While I asked for a June 8th date, my employer asked me to stay a little longer to help with the transition which I agreed to and today was it - I rode home from work (on my wife's bike - another thread) to start an exciting new chapter.

Congrats to both of you! Once you adjust to having no real schedule you're going to love retirement, I'd never go back!

A nice sailing voyage is a wonderful way to break into the retirement lifestyle, enjoy!

Great to see all these posts. I'm 55 and taking a new job in San Diego thinking that this is my last gig. I'm hoping it's the jackpot and will be able to finish putting my two kids through college and get the other one married. Very proud of my kids and happy my wife and I will be empty nesters for the first time. Going to enjoy things and have some fun.

Pre retirement can be very nerve-wracking. Hope we make it to the promised land!:dunno

Last edited:
Back