• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Getting warmed up for an oil Change

While you are at it, chase down that oil leak.

My oil is dark, but not that dark!
Oh, I just ordered Speigler brake lines, I do hope 12 months from now they are not still in the packaging! My tires are looking brand new, but I only bought my bike with new tires in July....

179212, I wished you lived closer to me, my garage has a old carpet on the floor, heated, tunes and tv, I'd invite you over for some wrenching... we'd learn about installing Speigler brakelines on your bike! (with a tarp on the floor)

You made my day!

Cheers and Merry Christmas!

Leak

While you are at it, chase down that oil leak.

Don’t know if I could stand that much fun, when I purchased bike 08/03/2010 bike had set for years ( 27,000 miles now over 80,000 miles ) and most of the gaskets had oil weeps 8 years later no better. I get zero drips on floor bike uses no oil. However you are right I will have insulation on clutch switch and gear indicator wiring fobar soon plus also need to replace hose that comes from cyclone thing.
What’s the best way to clean off that oily dirt stuff, large tray under bike and a brush and a bucket of parts cleaner?
I have a large hot water pressure washer think it’s 3 GPM at 3,000 PSI however might be to much tool for the job.

Don’t know if I could stand that much fun, when I purchased bike 08/03/2010 bike had set for years ( 27,000 miles now over 80,000 miles ) and most of the gaskets had oil weeps 8 years later no better. I get zero drips on floor bike uses no oil. However you are right I will have insulation on clutch switch and gear indicator wiring fobar soon plus also need to replace hose that comes from cyclone thing.
What’s the best way to clean off that oily dirt stuff, large tray under bike and a brush and a bucket of parts cleaner?
I have a large hot water pressure washer think it’s 3 GPM at 3,000 PSI however might be to much tool for the job.

Spray down with parts cleaner. Wait an hour or so, lightly pressure wash.

Learning

My oil is dark, but not that dark!
Oh, I just ordered Speigler brake lines, I do hope 12 months from now they are not still in the packaging! My tires are looking brand new, but I only bought my bike with new tires in July....

179212, I wished you lived closer to me, my garage has a old carpet on the floor, heated, tunes and tv, I'd invite you over for some wrenching... we'd learn about installing Speigler brakelines on your bike! (with a tarp on the floor)

You made my day!

Cheers and Merry Christmas!

What part of the world are you in? The more the merrier on jobs like these.

Old oil

0FA4E748-A4BF-4502-9DCA-75DDF87FCCFC.jpg

Oil that went in

15AF0EAA-2DA3-43D7-9E57-EC86E1B70051.jpeg

Better picture of sight gauge ( after new filter and 4 quarts of oil added bike started and ran than set several hours )

1EFA8706-95B1-459B-BB45-1438E2B37E3E.jpeg

Oil is supposed to get dirty as it takes contaminates to the filter.......last I knew.
BTW, nice job on the pictures.
OM

Oil

Oil is supposed to get dirty as it takes contaminates to the filter.......last I knew.
BTW, nice job on the pictures.
OM

Only about 3,500 on this oil change thin layer in pan makes it look better
Obviously did not ride enough this year this is the change oil Every 6,000 miles or once a year

Only about 3,500 on this oil change thin layer in pan makes it look better
Obviously did not ride enough this year this is the change oil Every 6,000 miles or once a year

I just bought my first motorcycle in 30 years in July, changed the oil once at 5000 kms. ago, about 3000 miles, put in Lucas 20/50 (I don't want to start a oil rage thread).

Thing is, I am expecting a delivery of new brakelines, and I live in Ladysmith on Vancouver Island, I am mechanically inclined, I have my valve clearances and throttle body sync on the money, but anyone on the Island who wants to spend some time wrenching in a comfortable environment, pm me, would be nice to have some experience on oilheads as a guest at my house.

Notoil

I just bought my first motorcycle in 30 years in July, changed the oil once at 5000 kms. ago, about 3000 miles, put in Lucas 20/50 (I don't want to start a oil rage thread).

Thing is, I am expecting a delivery of new brakelines, and I live in Ladysmith on Vancouver Island, I am mechanically inclined, I have my valve clearances and throttle body sync on the money, but anyone on the Island who wants to spend some time wrenching in a comfortable environment, pm me, would be nice to have some experience on oilheads as a guest at my house.

Heck you are only 2,300 miles away,
Like Harry Potter did not want to say the name of the dark one so I posted a picture, also useful for my records so I will know what I put in and how much, got a picture of the mileage also.

Heck you are only 2,300 miles away,
Like Harry Potter did not want to say the name of the dark one so I posted a picture, also useful for my records so I will know what I put in and how much, got a picture of the mileage also.

Well, if you are ever in the neighborhood, come on by, the light will be on, and you can feel at home.

Back