• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

final drive stripped drain bolt

airride

Hey guys I have a problem, stripped the final drive drain bolt/plug not the threads but the allen socket. I am not sure what to do to get it out, only thing I can think of is to heat it up with heat gun and take a small cold chisel or screw driver and tap on it to back plug out. I certainly don't want to damage the final drive housing. I hope that no one has had this problem and then again! It would be a 300 mile trip on a trailer to dealer, which is what I may have to do, any help would be appreciated

Bob

Hey guys I have a problem, stripped the final drive drain bolt/plug not the threads but the allen socket.

The fill plug is allen, but the drain plug is a torx. That may be why it stripped.
Someone will be along to explain how to get the plug our. Maybe use a easy out.
First I would try a torx bit. I'll go out and check the size.

OK, the drain plug takes a T-45 Torx.

While you're scratching your head, call your dealer and have them mail you a new drain plug.

Dimple Magnets make a replacement drain plug, it uses a socket and a very strong magnet. You can purchase separately or as a kit for both pan and final drive

Could you get a good grip on it with a set of needle nose vise grips? I don't know if it is flush with the FD or not.

If you are going to drill it to use an extractor, order an appropriate size "left" handed drill bit. It may take care of itself with just the drilling.
OM

First detirmine correct removal tool

Is it a Torx or an Allen head? Maybe an eight point Allen socket, I don't know as I do not have an LC yet.

Once you have the correct tool to fit the plug, clean the mating surface of the tool and the plug, use brake clean and some compressed air to dry it out real good. Apply a little *water based* valve grinding compound on the end of the the tool bit you are using to remove the plug. Be very careful and don't put any on the tip or end of the tool bit. Insert the tool bit into the plug as far as you can and then take a small but effective hammer and tap the tool into the plug a few times. Attach you ratchet, apply a little loosening pressure to it to take up slack and then give it a couple healthy tugs and hopefully pop the plug free. Stay away from real heat (torch/fire) and a chisel to turn it out, I wouldn't drill it either if I were you. Take it to the dealer and let them mess it up if you have to drill it.

Is it a Torx or an Allen head?

The newer final drive drain plugs are T45 Torx.

Looks like this.
Final_drive_plug_reduced.JPG

33117705854_1_B.jpg

Hope all are following the practice of removing fill plug and then drain plug
One would hate to drain final drive only to find they can't remove fill plug!!

I'd fit a Torx in it, tap (not hit but tap) with a hammer. I would think you messed up the first part of the fitting and that it's ok once you get past that point. It not very tight should be 20Nm so it should back out without much force, once you have a turn or so you can grab it with vice grip or channel lock pliers. And like someone else said buy a replacement.

Good luck

Jay

I'm planning on doing this maintenance and have a question, is there a crush washer on the drain plug? I can't tell in the picture.

Back in the day when we did something like this - usually with those horrible Phillips head screws - we'd whack the head of the screw with the ball end of a ball peen hammer to drive some metal back into the slots, then tap a screwdriver in before turning it. I hesitate to suggest you take a hammer to your BMW, but something like this should work.

Do you have it out yet?

You should be able to tap a slot in it and tap it with a screw driver and hammer in the direction of lefty loosey. Really should be no need for taps, and drills and all this other stuff. Just slot it and tap it off.

This is the technique that I successfully used once with my K's final drive's filler plug. Actually didn't even require a full slot, just a nick on the outer edge and then the flat head. :thumb

Do you have it out yet?

You should be able to tap a slot in it and tap it with a screw driver and hammer in the direction of lefty loosey. Really should be no need for taps, and drills and all this other stuff. Just slot it and tap it off.

This is the technique that I successfully used once with my K's final drive's filler plug. Actually didn't even require a full slot, just a nick on the outer edge and then the flat head. :thumb

Some of these sit flush or slightly recessed to the EVO FD housings...not much room to do much, especially with orientation of location.
Still think best course is the correct Torx tapped fully in as mentioned earlier.

Back