• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Relocating Under Tank Brake Master Cylinder to Handlebars

72r60/7

Both my riding buddies from the '60's want to relocate the under tank front brake master cylinder to the handlebars. A '75 R75/6 and the other an original owner '75 R60/6.

I know the information is here on the Forum and have looked and "Searched" (useless) for it to bump start the procedure and nothing so far.

Can anyone bump start me as to where I might find this info. I really did try, but..........

Charlie

You can’t relocate the existing one, but you can replace it with the later model handle assembly plus new hoses. Big improvement to my 76 R75.

Charlie -

First place I'd look is the threads in the Similar Threads pane at the bottom of the screen. Several look promising.

I know the information is here on the Forum and have looked and "Searched" (useless) for it to bump start the procedure and nothing so far.

Can anyone bump start me as to where I might find this info. I really did try, but..........

Charlie
Try entering the words master cylinder into a Tag Cloud search. The resulting threads in the Airhead forum might help.
OM

Just try calling Rusty @ Max's BMW. I did mine about 2 years ago and never regretted. He saved me some bucks in that he knew several parts needed (for my needs to keep my 2-cable throttle) and helped me get everything I needed.

Only other problem is getting a new brake hose - for my /7 all I needed was a single hose - found local hose shop that did m/c hoses. Hose cost me around $30 I think. Looked like original, just longer.

Charlie,

IIRC, the R60/6 did not have a front disk brake, but continued to use the /5 series drum brake. So converting it would also include sourcing a front fork leg designed to mount a front brake caliper.

Best.
Brook Reams.

Charlie,

IIRC, the R60/6 did not have a front disk brake, but continued to use the /5 series drum brake. So converting it would also include sourcing a front fork leg designed to mount a front brake caliper.

Best.
Brook Reams.

A front drum brake has an under-tank master cylinder? Was it hydraulic actuated? Hmmmm?

A front drum brake has an under-tank master cylinder? Was it hydraulic actuated? Hmmmm?

No. Converting from the drum brake to a disk brake would require a fork leg to which to mount the caliper and a wheel with a disk, with a master cylinder and associated plumbing.

Actually the drum brake on /5's and R60/6 's were a fairly good front brake. They were full width hubs and the bikes were fairly light. Not really that fast. Nice vintage touch. Ride them for what they are. :thumb

OK OK, Uncle !

Y'all are right about the /6 R60 having a drum front brake. I had forgotten. (A whole lot more things than that too !) The R60/6 owner had converted to a hydraulic system at the same time as Lester wheels came on the market. He thought a big improvement for the late 1970's.

Hope this doesn't bar me from the Airhead Section of the Forum as I have started to visit more, for nostalgic reasons, since the Brick ?(K75) section has been a little quiet of late.

Thanks for the great advice to pass along.

Charlie

No. Converting from the drum brake to a disk brake would require a fork leg to which to mount the caliper and a wheel with a disk, with a master cylinder and associated plumbing.

I understand that, but the O/P stated "RE-locating the m/c from under tank. Implies that there was one already there? It seemed to imply that someone had already changed over to disc brakes.

Front Brake

Actually the drum brake on /5's and R60/6 's were a fairly good front brake. They were full width hubs and the bikes were fairly light. Not really that fast. Nice vintage touch. Ride them for what they are. :thumb

Have to agree. My '73 R75/5's front drum brake worked incredibly well. The trick is to adjust them correctly.

Only downside is if left in the rain on the sidestand, water seeps into the right side (open) hub, meaning you'll have extremely touchy brakes the first few times you touch the handle.

RPG

Only downside is if left in the rain on the sidestand, water seeps into the right side (open) hub, meaning you'll have extremely touchy brakes the first few times you touch the handle.

And the solution to that whole bag of worms, which I finally discovered after years of replacing my brakes with OEM shoes, is to install EBC brake shoes. The lining material is incredible. No grabbing, ever, and improved braking performance overall.

EBC P/N: 864, front
EBC P/N: 860, rear.

Both my riding buddies from the '60's want to relocate the under tank front brake master cylinder to the handlebars. A '75 R75/6 and the other an original owner '75 R60/6.

Charlie

This thread morphed from a disc brake model the owners wanted to convert to BARS master cylinder, to drum brakes.
The specific parts one needs, for a full and correct conversion to put the MC on the bars, is not short. Many do only partially.
The information is located in my brakes article: http://bmwmotorcycletech.info/brakes.htm
Scan way down to 8A, 8B, 8C.

snowbum

There are NOT many parts needed IF one is wanting to get rid of the under tank AWFUL m/c to a handlebar mounted one. Again, check with Rusty @ Max's BMW who helped me do it with a minimum of parts and cost. Only thing I had to do on my own was to find a local hose mfg. to do a new brake hose for me. I found one here in Greenville, SC who does these sorts of hoses all the time. I found them by checking with an old BMW Airhead/Triumph repair shop (called TrophyMoto on 291 By-pass Highway) who alerted me to this hose mfg's ability.

There are NOT many parts needed IF one is wanting to get rid of the under tank AWFUL m/c to a handlebar mounted one. Again, check with Rusty @ Max's BMW who helped me do it with a minimum of parts and cost. Only thing I had to do on my own was to find a local hose mfg. to do a new brake hose for me. I found one here in Greenville, SC who does these sorts of hoses all the time. I found them by checking with an old BMW Airhead/Triumph repair shop (called TrophyMoto on 291 By-pass Highway) who alerted me to this hose mfg's ability.

+1 and Trophymoto A+++!

Back