• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Deltran battery tender plus

lbnyc

Hi,
I have a GSA 1200 2016 and I would like to know if the battery tender plus is adequate to charge and maintain the battery.
It works fine for my other non BMW bike, but it doesn’t seems to be too efficient for the GSA.
The tender is connected directly to the battery using an SAE cable.
Thanks for any information.

Ultimately I found the Tender Plus wasn’t up to the job on my 11S.

The CTEK which replaced it seemed to be a better solution...

Hi,
I have a GSA 1200 2016 and I would like to know if the battery tender plus is adequate to charge and maintain the battery.
It works fine for my other non BMW bike, but it doesn’t seems to be too efficient for the GSA.

Yep Works fine for me.
What make you say "doesn't seem to be too efficient for GSA"??

Yep Works fine for me.
What make you say "doesn't seem to be too efficient for GSA"??

I do not think it recharge the battery fully. The red light goes off pretty fast, so technically it is fully charged, but there is not enough power to start the bike unless I leave it one day on thr green ligth to maintain.

Works fine on m 2012 GSA and my 2016 RTW. Ironically it seems to take a bit longer to get fully charged on my 2012 CamHead. I have 2 Units and both work on both bikes.

I do not think it recharge the battery fully. The red light goes off pretty fast, so technically it is fully charged, but there is not enough power to start the bike unless I leave it one day on thr green ligth to maintain.

Consider replacing the battery itself. It should generally have enough power to start the bike even with no charger at all.

Consider replacing the battery itself. It should generally have enough power to start the bike even with no charger at all.

I agree! Had he same happen to me ... charger was green and batter would not start the bike. Battery was replaced.

Hi,

Quite possible to “float” a charge across the liquid and fool the charger. I agree on an actual battery problem. Being a 2016 you should have a 2 year warranty on the battery.
OM

I can’t recall the details from an earlier thread on this subject. But as I recall the Deltran doesn’t put out a high enough charge rate for gel type batteries. That thread lead me to a discussion of CTEK chargers, the CTEK solved the problem on my 11S. Which was a good thing since accessing that battery was a real PITA. The CTEK has different settings, the manual recommends a specific selection for BMW batteries.

The CTEK has different settings, the manual recommends a specific selection for BMW batteries.

I wonder what's different about the AGM batteries BMW uses?
BMW replaced both of our batteries this fall in our 2016 R1200RS after they failed the load test.
The original battery still sounded good when starting but decided to have them checked when Debbie's bike was doing the double tap start more than normal.
I use the Battery Tender Plus on both bikes.

This is not from the Deltran site but from the listing on Batterystuff.com ....

Product Information
Store Part Number: BT-021-0128
Overview
Keep your batteries fully charged without the adverse effects possible with traditional trickle chargers. The Battery Tender Plus smart charger makes optimal battery storage a reality with its 12V, 1.25 amp design. In addition, leave the charger wiring attached to the battery while operating the vehicle with its E-Z quick disconnect harness.

Each Battery Tender ships with one each quick disconnect ring set and alligator clips.

Features
Temperature compensated to ensure optimum charge voltage according to ambient temperature
Automatically switches from full charge to float charging mode
Ships with quick-disconnect ring set and alligator clips
Reverse polarity protection to ensure user safety
Complete 4-step charging program (Initialization, Bulk Charge, Absorption Mode, and Float Mode)
Built-in mode indicators
Spark-free hook up
Perfect for Wet Cell, Gel, and AGM (VRLA) Batteries
Demand sensing
Reverse polarity protection
Short circuit protection
Thermal protection
Temperature compensation
10-year manufacturer’s limited warranty

Works fine on m 2012 GSA and my 2016 RTW. Ironically it seems to take a bit longer to get fully charged on my 2012 CamHead. I have 2 Units and both work on both bikes.

I agree with a few others that have already replied. Looks like it is a battery problem. Should be a warrantee replacement.

ps Deltran works just fine with my Gel battery.

Thank you for the answer

Due to illness the bike was not used most of the year, and the batterywas more or less on tender. More or less because it was not always connected.
It seems tht the tender is not at fault so I will see with the battery. It is under warranty since I have the bike since Dec 2016 so I will see with the dealer.
In anycase, thank you all to point me to the right direction.

I have 3 Battery Tender Plus's, I use one on my 14R1200RT, 05DL650 and the last on my Zero Turn Mower. I've noticed it takes a long time for the tender to go green (stop charging) before going into float and felt it shouldn't take much time since I just came off a ride and the battery should be fully charged. A friend gave me http://products.batterytender.com/Chargers/Battery-Tender.html it's a 3amp not 1.25amp. It seems to go thru the charging cycle like my Oilhead did and the Wee Strom (DL650) and go into float mode. On first start (cold) it was always on the second try but now using the 3amp tender it start up on the first attempt.

The packaging listed motorcycle and so dose the Costco site https://www.costco.com/Battery-Tender-Power-Plus-3-Amp-Charger.product.100241973.html . Any electrical geeks have a comment.

Jay

Full Disclosure: I work for CTEK

Would not use any other charger on my pride and joy..........

Ski

I'd be happy to answer questions. I really do think CTEK makes the best chargers available, as does every high performance car manufacturer in the world - because we supply their chargers.

Ski

Did I mention I built a Heathkit battery charger almost half a century ago :gerg
Still works :dance
OM

Back