• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Whats the deal on the R 850R

My comments were in regards to turning an 850 to an 1100. So we were talking about changing out pistons, cylinders and heads, not accessories. But to answer your question, yes, i have done all the things you describe and I see nothing wrong in personalizing a bike or improving it.

Well that was sorta my point. One guy might just add a windshield and be done. Another guy might 'need' more changes to suit him.

And still . the engine mods aren't that extreme ? {IMO} so a person could end up with a lighter weight, low seat height , six speed motorcycle for a lower cost ? Depending on the deal of course & how he goes about it.

Would I ? No , not unless I got a heck'of'a deal on an 850...and wanted something different or thought I needed the 10 extra HP. Not sure about up north ? but down here they are much lower priced than the 1100....and I'm [told] for younger riders a huge insurance break ? Unfortunately that is not a concern of mine as I am....un-younger :blush

Everything you read on the InterWeb isn't true??

The internet is full of mistakes; I'm not the police. That one is more of an omission.

Now I am totally shocked that everything you read on the InterWeb isn't true.

"InterWeb" is a Canadian term so no need to point out there is no "InterWeb".

I hope you mean "flymymbz"'s bike

Not mine I hope, the one I just picked up is a mess and was priced accordingly. I would agree that the Red R 850R that is posted really is a well cared for and clean bike but the one I have isn't quite that, ah maybe not even close to that one and may never catch up.

I'm waiting for the fuel pump stuff from Beemer Bone Yard so I can crank mine up and start with the rehab and cleanup process and then maybe I'll take a chance at pictures and the ugly truth.

I still might GS mine out with taller shocks, Woody's wheels, knobbies, plastic gas tank, real handle bars and a dose of lighten and beef up. Mines got the extra stuff, tach, clock, windshield, steering damper but they stopped short of spoked wheels. Why would they do that?

Any thoughts out there? Anybody out there think it would be a neat Scrambler project to go with the /5 one I'm into up to my ears? Its got the right final drive.

Not mine I hope, the one I just picked up is a mess and was priced accordingly. I would agree that the Red R 850R that is posted really is a well cared for and clean bike but the one I have isn't quite that, ah maybe not even close to that one and may never catch up.

I'm waiting for the fuel pump stuff from Beemer Bone Yard so I can crank mine up and start with the rehab and cleanup process and then maybe I'll take a chance at pictures and the ugly truth.

I still might GS mine out with taller shocks, Woody's wheels, knobbies, plastic gas tank, real handle bars and a dose of lighten and beef up. Mines got the extra stuff, tach, clock, windshield, steering damper but they stopped short of spoked wheels. Why would they do that?

Any thoughts out there? Anybody out there think it would be a neat Scrambler project to go with the /5 one I'm into up to my ears? Its got the right final drive.

Just a thought...I think any project that suits & pleases you in the end would be neat..:clap...pictures please..!

My first BMW was an R850R "Olympic Special". They were used at the Olympics in Atlanta GA in 1996 for guiding bike rides and marathon runners etc. It came with a certificate of authenticity and mine was #150. I am 6 foot 3 and 225 pounds and I rode that thing to the Missoula MT rally from Alabama which was in the late 90s loaded down with camping gear. It had plenty of power and was the smoothest oilhead I have owned, and I have had many since then. I wouldn't do anything to mod the engine, it is smooth and didn't have any of the surging problems like the 1150.

Great looking bike!

I have a '95 R1100R. I purchased the 'BMW' brand filter wrench. I have 68K on it.

Leave the bike alone and ride it. My bike only makes 10 more horsepower than yours. No biggie.

I have the stock seat. No Bar backs. I do have a luggage rack. Factory bags. Factory head guards. An RS muffler (so I can use the FULL size L/H saddlebag inner.

Back