• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Eating Locally on the Road?

Thurman Cafe, Columbus Ohio
Los Tortugas Deli Mexicana, Memphis TN

What are your favorite LOCALLY-OWNED eateries. Those of us planning spring/summer/autumn rides for 2012 would appreciate your update.

Look for the places that have lots of work trucks parked outside. The more ladders, the better.

For Huntington Beach California heres my recommendations.
Breakfast
Ohana Breadcrumb. Beach and Garfield. Lunch also
Sugar shack. Main st. Breakfast and lunch
Mexican. Las Barcas. Beach Atlanta lunch dinner
Johns Philly grill. Beach blvd.
Harbor House. Coast Highway open 24/7
Cappies west Newport breakfast lunch
All are locally owned, friendly staff and great food

None of these are on the open road. I seldom travel via highways.

Blowing Rock, NC: Woodland's BBQ
Damascus, VA: Old Mill Inn & Restaurant
Asheville, NC: Moose Cafe at the Western NC Farmer's Market
New Bern, NC: Capt'n Ratty's Seafood

Great blog! I noticed you hit Sonora... A bit south is Mariposa. a few great restaurants there. Savoury is fine dining, Charles Street Dinner House is steak, Pony Expresso is local coffee with local pastries, plus, for a sandwich to take into Yosemite, try Deli Garden Cafe at the River Rock Inn. They also do dinners some times. Just don't go to Pizza Plus for pizza... They have great breakfast & burgers, but the pizza stinks compared to Pizza Express...

or the EMS, LEO's and firefighters either it's real good or real cheap, sometimes both:whistle

Amore Pizza, Newark, DE
Amore Pizza, Bear, DE

Both are very safe and well protected by the county and state PD! HUUUUUGE portions and expansive, inexpensive menu.

Some other favorites:

Woodstock Station Brewery, Woodstock, New Hampshire
Durham's Best BBQ, Elkton, MD
Black Hog BBQ, Frederick, MD
Hank's Place, Chadds Ford, PA

the concept of eating well (IE: NOT "fast food") on the road has been kicked around here and there. this is certainly a valid point for discussion at any time!

i love small mom-&-pop joints. any number of- or type of, vehicles parked outside such a place is sure enough an indication of good eatin within. the only other sure thing is that good food will rarely be found at an exit off a freeway or interstate highway- you really do have to go into town- and it is most always worth it to do so.

Bube's Brewery- Mt Joy PA
10th Avenue Steaks- 10th & Oregon, South Philly PA
Baker's Diner- US 15 Dillsburg PA

Last edited:
The Country Pride Cafe, US-421 and St. Rd. 28 near Frankfort, IN. usually my starting point for Breakfast. They generally close around 3 pm. so have to find something else on way home.

The Chile Pepper Cafe - TX Hwy 118 - Study Butte, TX
The Starlight Theater Restaurant - In the Ghost Town - Terlingua, TX
Tivo's Place - TX Hwy 118 - 13 miles N. of Study Butte, TX

The Free State Brewery, Massachusetts Avenue, Downtown Lawrence, KS

For the best BBQ in Jacksonville, FL try GATORS. Located on the west side of Jax just south of Beaver St on Cahoon.

Working South, B.O.'s (Buddy Owen's) Fishwagon in Key West, Florida. Some of the best fish sandwiches on the island which includes fries. (no credit cards here)

http://www.bosfishwagon.com/

If you do the Four Corners, you'll probaby miss this.

Any 'El Taco' in Springfield MO area...counter service only, no waitress, no alcohol, best hot taco sauce anywhere! A local owned chain. A small off shoot of their parent restaurant, Mexican Villa, but I think its better.

Caspers Chili in Springfield MO. Closed from Memorial Day to Labor Day. Expect to wait for a table. Its inside an old quonset hut. Just eat and enjoy, don't ask to many questions or get to curious about the kitchen though...It's GREAT about once a year, that'll do you for awhile!

Look up 'greasy spoon' in the dictionary, and this place will be pictured!

Back