• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Dyna III control module mounting.

toooldtocare

San Jose BMW installed a Dyna III (dual plug) ignition on my bike (78R100RS) in 1985. So far it has been running fine, although it has only covered about 12K miles since then.

They mounted the main control under the top engine cover by strapping it to the starter motor with two zip ties. Today, I decided to move it to a cooler location. First thing I found was one of the cable ties had broken and the unit was loose, but no damage was done. The second thing was a pinched wire, almost to the point of shorting out.

I moved the unit to the outside of the engine and strapped it to the top frame tube at the rear of the gas tank. It is all the way back just under where the tube splits into a ÔÇ£YÔÇØ. I like it there, but I could not find a proper way to secure it to the frame, so I just zip tied it again with a figure ÔÇ£8ÔÇØ on the ties. I would like to use hose clamps, but with the ÔÇ£YÔÇØ, they will not fit.

For those that have also installed the Dyna III, have you found a better location and method of securing it?

Thanks, Wayne

Dyna III Module

My module is mounted to the front of the frame downtube, as high as it will fit so it is pretty much out of sight, but still in the airstream for good cooling. The back of the module is a hollow half-round which fits on the frame tube and it is secured by a gear clamp that has each end bolted to the module body, all OEM arrangement.

Last edited:
My /7 has a cross member just below and behind the lower triple. That's where I have my module mounted.

I moved the unit to the outside of the engine and strapped it to the top frame tube at the rear of the gas tank. It is all the way back just under where the tube splits into a ÔÇ£YÔÇØ. I like it there, but I could not find a proper way to secure it to the frame, so I just zip tied it again with a figure ÔÇ£8ÔÇØ on the ties. I would like to use hose clamps, but with the ÔÇ£YÔÇØ, they will not fit.

For those that have also installed the Dyna III, have you found a better location and method of securing it?

My R75/6 came with a Dyna III mounted to the frame stub aft of the "Y". So it would not interfere with the toolbox, the hose clamp was moved from the center to one end of the Dyna unit. This way the Dyna box sits farther forward. When I replaced the unit with a booster and points, I made the same mod and mounted the new unit in the same place after failing to find another satisfactory location.

Thanks for the replies. I think I will leave it at the "Y" and get a hose clamp that will fit near the rear, and leave the zip ties at the front. It seems to work well there and is close to the coils.

Pictures

Thanks for the replies. I think I will leave it at the "Y" and get a hose clamp that will fit near the rear, and leave the zip ties at the front. It seems to work well there and is close to the coils.

Here is a shot of the mod. The original holes are visible in the middle. The hose clamp, original to the unit, is attached with screws and Nyloc nuts.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 51
My module is mounted to the front of the frame downtube, as high as it will fit so it is pretty much out of sight, but still in the airstream for good cooling. The back of the module is a hollow half-round which fits on the frame tube and it is secured by a gear clamp that has each end bolted to the module body, all OEM arrangement.

Just so...works fine

Thanks again, I think I am going to modify mine like Stanley did. Right now the zip ties do not feel too secure.

Wayne

Back