• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Boots for touring and general stuff?

The various motorcycle specific boots I've bought all have toe, ankle and shin armor in them that, if it came down to it, would slide rather than grind away. The particular boots shown above are called "Soft Toe Boots", and they don't list any kind of armor on the web page. So, it's not that the leather is tougher on motorcycle specific boots, it's that they're designed to protect against this particular kind of problem. Hikers don't generally have to worry about sliding down the road at 35mph.

+1.. No comparison...

Look at a GOOD pair of motorcycle specific boots...i.e. SIDI, they're loaded with all kinds of armor, etc.. apples to oranges.

So...I'm guessing that the sandals I saw on that squid last summer aren't recommended?
:p

P1020893.jpg

Georgia Boots.
mine have seen many a mile.
'bout due for a new pair, ya think?

Polish those boots or risk expulsion from "The Brokeback Mountain Boys Club"!

Broke back mountain, hell. I just wanna figure out how he got the lock on that right saddle bag to face that way...

Broke back mountain, hell. I just wanna figure out how he got the lock on that right saddle bag to face that way...

You wear boots like that, ain't much you can't do backwards!

Jack

All my life I always wanted to be somebody. I realize now I should have been more specific.

I just wanna figure out how he got the lock on that right saddle bag to face that way...
The locks were originally installed that way; a later version of the Integral bags had them turned outward -- IIRC in response to user complaints about the inward-facing locks.

You really think motorcycle boots are tougher? :scratch
No, I'm sure of it. I was shown the inside of an ankle once on TV from a bike on a GoldWing who was clipped by a car at 60mph. He was wearing jeans, hiking shoes (half-high, over the ankle) and a lumberjack-type shirt. Obviously, he was in great pain as his shoulderblade was turned into a 4 pound steak and his boot was showing a big red hole where his ankle is/was.

It is not for nothing that motorcycle boots have ankle and shin protection. Hiking boots may look sturdy, and they are...for hinking. Not for motorcycling.

Currently I have the Daytona GTX boot, which is a wonderful boot. Gore-tex, so waterproof, comfortable and they can replace the sole for you. Great customer service too. It's also a good walking boot. Here in Holland, the police got 'm and driving instructors too, which means a lot. The police over here get a certain budget and get to choose their own equipment. I did considerable driving in the rain and not a drop came in (2 full days in a monsoon, not just a few drops).

daytona_roadstar.bmp

They're expensive, but 100% worth the money. My experience is that good gear (not just expensive gear) makes driving much better since you don't have to worry about it, and it doesn't irritate.

No, I'm sure of it. I was shown the inside of an ankle once on TV from a bike on a GoldWing who was clipped by a car at 60mph.

And you think things under those same conditions would have been totally different in those Daytonas?

The original poster is looking for...
What would you suggest for a good pair of boots for touring, running around town, and doing other stuff when on the road like walking and just hanging out?

And you think things under those same conditions would have been totally different in those Daytonas?
Yes, since there's an ankle protector in these boots. The ankle is a hard protruding piece of bone, pressing against de inside of your boot/shoe. Leather may be tough, but as you slide over the asphalt, the bone is causing the leather to wear more on that contact spot. That was what happened to the guy on the GW.
The original poster is looking for...
I'm running around town on these boots and my BMW Atlantis leather suit. No problem. If it's very hot, I always wear a sport short under by leather pants, and take off my motorcycle gear. Having said that: I have an RT with cases, so I can stow everything away easily.
But other than that, the leathers and boots don't hinder me at all in walking around. It's just one of those things you have to consider when driving a motorcycle. It's not a fashion show, and wearing protective gear is one of those things that come with the territory. No way I'm going to compromise on that. I've seen too many accidents with knuckle heads who thought they could ride a bike in shorts/shirt and flip-flops...

Yes, since there's an ankle protector in these boots. The ankle is a hard protruding piece of bone, pressing against de inside of your boot/shoe. Leather may be tough, but as you slide over the asphalt, the bone is causing the leather to wear more on that contact spot. That was what happened to the guy on the GW.

Whatever you believe.

Whatever you believe.
Why do you say that? Do you have another experience? Please share it with us.
I didn't make up the guys injury. The camera zoomed in on it, and you could look into his ankle through the big hole in the boot. Do you believe this would have happened with a motorcycle boot too?

Like those Daytona Boots... Except here in the US... Let's see, price $419 without shipping from the UK. Eeks!

http://www.fc-moto.de/epages/fcm.sf/en_GB/?ViewObjectID=4421276&Currency=USD
They are quite expensive, here in Holland too. I was lucky that I could buy them together with the BMW Atlantis suit from a guy who had a knee operation and could not ride his bike again. So he sold his suit and boots, practically new for a steal...lucky me. The Daytona's replaced the 15 year old BMW boots, which were also quite good to walk in.

Daytona also sells half-high motorcycle boots. Check out their catalog. I guess they'll always be quite expensive for the US, since it's a German company.

Back