• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Oilhead + Bike Washing = Electrical Issue. Maybe?

Contributors indicate this is the result of both time and heat cycles. Should I think of a preventative investigation of these leads on my 1998 R1100R which has 6,000 mies on it? Are the 15 years the issue or miles? I'd love to just ignore the possibility if you tell me it only happens after many miles.
Ralph

I think both age and heat contribute. But how much of each is an unknown. If I had an original HES in an R1100 I would replace the assembly ir the wiring.

Does anyone know if this is a problem that occurs in the R1150 series as well??:scratch

Based on what I "hear" the 1150s do not suffer from this problem like the 1100s do. I think the wire used was changed. I hear about an occasional HES failure on the 1150s but not the epidemic encountered on the 1100s.

Well, the R1100S remained an 1100 through the time the rest became 1150s so perhaps those produced during the later period are generally OK too???

Listen to paul

19 yr member of MOA here. My advice is to listen to Paul Glaves. His wife has a 94RS with 300,000+ miles and he keeps her on the road. In my experience, Paul is arguably the best Oilhead GURU in the organization. If you follow his advice, I expect you will solve the problem.

Many good miles brother!

Will

Thanks!

On June 7 I asked if my problem was the Hall Sensor. Two of you, my friends, said yes. So, I took your word, ordered a new sensor, tore the bike apart, installed the sensor, put it back together, held my breath as I touched the starter. It runs great! Thanks for the help.
Lester

Carefully slice open the harness around the clamp area of your failed HES plate and this is what you will probably find. As Paul Glaves mentioned, heat, age and very hot moisture and this is what happens to the old wires which were not up to the task. In this case the brown and yellow wires are cracked open and the red has disintegrated to the point where it was shorted out.

P1010516sml.jpg

Back