• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Can the End-Of-Days be seen on the horizon?

That site is not secure. It doesn’t look like the site is being maintained.
OM

I read on a different web site that many owner forums were having a hard time and were losing out to Facebook groups. Sad to see.

Honda, peers to ride 20 motorcycles off into the sunset this year

June 22,2022

"TOKYO -- Honda Motor and three Japanese rivals plan to discontinue about 20 motorcycle models by the end of this year, Nikkei has learned, in response to tougher emissions standards to be implemented in Japan in the fall.

The retired motorbikes represent 10% of the roughly 190 models available from Honda, Yamaha Motor, Suzuki Motor and Kawasaki Heavy Industries.

Going forward, the companies will shift to electrics. Honda will electrify its entire lineup of vehicles by the 2040s. Yamaha will make 90% of new vehicles plug-ins by 2050.

Honda, the world's largest motorcycle company, will retire approximately 10 out of 80 models. The affected bikes include popular models like the CB400 Super Four, a midsized motorcycle which has been a bestseller since the 1990s.

Also on Honda's chopping block are models from the full-sized Gold Wing series, as well as the Benly scooter made for delivery services.
"

I'm not certain if this is a global end to the GW, or just the end in Japan. I've also seen some comments that the DCT versions might meet the emissions standards. The article does say that models from the series are on the chopping block, not the entire series.

Time will tell.

I wonder how many Hondapotamoses they sell every year ? I rarely see any on the road any more; doesn't matter if I'm doing two lanes or interstates. Sure are a lot of Harleys. BMWs come a distant second.

I wonder how many Hondapotamoses they sell every year ? I rarely see any on the road any more; doesn't matter if I'm doing two lanes or interstates. Sure are a lot of Harleys. BMWs come a distant second.

Harley outsells BMW 20 to 1.

Most Honda dealers I have talked to are happy to sell 2-3 Goldwings a year. Certainly some sell much more. I have been in Harley shops and seen 3-4 baggers sold in about that many hours, but it was a good day. Years ago there were claims that Harley sells more motorcycles over 750cc than everyone else combined.

Maybe in the US, I think BMW may have sold more world wide last year.

Yes - the 20 to 1 is a US sales statistic and was a few years old. Worldwide it is much closer. I wonder what it is for "big bikes" only.

Here is 2020 data showing the percentage of global sales for the top 10 brands: The source is:

https://deallab.info/en/global-market-share-analysis-of-motorcycle-industry/

No.1 Honda 22.6%
No. 2 Yamaha 10.4%
No. 3 Hero MotoCorp 5.9%
No. 4 Bajaj 5.1%
No. 5 Harley-Davidson 4.4%
No. 6 BMW 3.7%
No. 7 TVS Motor 3.1%
No. 8 Suzuki 2.6%
No. 9 Kawasaki Heavy Industries 2.3%
No. 10 Piaggio 2.1%

Yes - the 20 to 1 is a US sales statistic and was a few years old. Worldwide it is much closer. I wonder what it is for "big bikes" only.

Here is 2020 data showing the percentage of global sales for the top 10 brands: The source is:

https://deallab.info/en/global-market-share-analysis-of-motorcycle-industry/

No.1 Honda 22.6%
No. 2 Yamaha 10.4%
No. 3 Hero MotoCorp 5.9%
No. 4 Bajaj 5.1%
No. 5 Harley-Davidson 4.4%
No. 6 BMW 3.7%
No. 7 TVS Motor 3.1%
No. 8 Suzuki 2.6%
No. 9 Kawasaki Heavy Industries 2.3%
No. 10 Piaggio 2.1%

In 2021 HD sold 194.252 versus BMW's 194,261 world wide

Big push away from POVs

You might note that those at the top of the heap (more than one private jet of their own) are working globally to move everyone else into government-run transportation systems. Electric vehicles, dependent on electrical grid monopolies, are simply a variation in that theme. Gasoline burners offer too much freedom of movement. Rising gasoline prices and reduced availability favor motorcyclists. Get yours while the getting is good.

I wonder how road service works when a driver is out of battery? I know how it works when a driver is out of gas ⛽
OM

I wonder how road service works when a driver is out of battery? I know how it works when a driver is out of gas ⛽
OM
That would be the Palladium Membership offering, a monetary step up from Platinum Membership. You wait a day or two in a fleabag motel, then a teenage stoner in a white van shows up with a replacement battery for you.

I am surprised

The dead battery problem is one of the biggest reasons why I am not thrilled to maybe have to switch to an electric vehicle.

If the companies making said vehicles were on the same page and working toward the same goal, a universal battery might be the solution. One or two battery packs easily switched out and in at a service station with extra packs on charge would be a lot faster than waiting for a full charge.

Oh I know, the drawbacks, it will never happen. BMW would never build a battery pack to fit a Toyota and so on and so forth. Towns, villages, and cities probably would not issue permits to build such service stations citing storage of batteries as a problem or some nonsense.

It is going to be VERY interesting to see how the fine electrical production and distribution grids work when more and more demand is made on them. I have a gas generator now because of the lack of reliability. There is nothing worse than having no power or heat in the middle of a Rochester NY winter. I pray I will be lucky and gone before the big problems hit, or I pray someone wakes up and starts solving the problems before they happen. LOL, I don't expect any of my elected officials to do the right thing except what is good for them or their family and friends. St.

If anyone has a hydrogen car, we have a fillin’ station for that. Never seen a hydrogen powered car but understand it’s explosive 🧨 possibilities.
At our “flat-land” mall, there is 6-bay Tesla hook up. I have seen a few use it.

I’m not really into unproven, trendy systems that over complicate things. I’ve been wrestling with a VFD on a chiller today that lost its programming on speed when power had to be cut due to a 13.8KVA line down drilling a hole in the asphalt.
An on/off switch is a lot less troublesome.
OM

The dead battery problem is one of the biggest reasons why I am not thrilled to maybe have to switch to an electric vehicle.

If the companies making said vehicles were on the same page and working toward the same goal, a universal battery might be the solution. One or two battery packs easily switched out and in at a service station with extra packs on charge would be a lot faster than waiting for a full charge.

Oh I know, the drawbacks, it will never happen. BMW would never build a battery pack to fit a Toyota and so on and so forth. Towns, villages, and cities probably would not issue permits to build such service stations citing storage of batteries as a problem or some nonsense.

It is going to be VERY interesting to see how the fine electrical production and distribution grids work when more and more demand is made on them. I have a gas generator now because of the lack of reliability. There is nothing worse than having no power or heat in the middle of a Rochester NY winter. I pray I will be lucky and gone before the big problems hit, or I pray someone wakes up and starts solving the problems before they happen. LOL, I don't expect any of my elected officials to do the right thing except what is good for them or their family and friends. St.
I'd be happy if there was a standard plug for all vehicles, analogous to the hole in the fuel tank for the pump - one size fits all.

Back