• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Keyless ride key fob?

On my new RT, the NAV VI is not lockable and I was advised by the dealer to not forget that point. :dunno It would be nice if a button was clicked and a panel would rise up and cover (lock) the NAV VI. I do not use GPS on any other vehicles unless I am overseas and it is part of the rental, so I can easily forget to remove the NAV VI when I leave my bike. Oh, my.

Very interesting link about the central locking feature for that NAV. Thanks for sharing. It is worth looking into.

Cheers,
William

This thread reminded me that I planned to buy a spare key fob at some point, and then got distracted. I checked on the price... now $324. Yikes, I think that has gone up again. Wasn’t there a member of this forum offering a discount for OEM parts? If so, we should make that a sticky.

Bought two extra fobs for my GSA and Annie’s GS in 2017; they were around $260 each, if memory serves me well.

The GPS locks on both of our RSs work freely, but the seat locks are stiff.
I wonder if one of the wafers is not freely moving when you insert or remove the key..

I was refering to the limited space between my GPS and the Handlebar. Mine had aftermarket bars that give a bit more rise and come back a bit. Can't say I like it better but it is a pain to swap out to stock for very little change. It is very hard to insert the fobkey and remove.
Gator

For either one the dealer will need to know your motorcycle VIN. They will come cut to match your locks.

Some states, maybe all, will require you to bring proof of ownership. Illinois does. BMW audits part departments to confirm dealerships are complying, so the dealer may be firm about this.

Some states, maybe all, will require you to bring proof of ownership. Illinois does. BMW audits part departments to confirm dealerships are complying, so the dealer may be firm about this.

When we got our keys in the winter of 2016 our dealer did not ask for any information, but sometime in the next year he mentioned BMW now required all dealers to get info from bike owners like VIN, copy of license, ect.

$40 for a key

These guys will do an unchipped key for $40 which includes shipping. All they need is your VIN and your credit card. I did it by email and a phone call for payment.

Chuck Vicknair
Motorrad Parts Manager
Hermy's BMW & Triumph
69 Centre Street
Port Clinton, PA 19549
610-562-7303
www.Hermys.com
www.BMWeStore.com

Back