• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Question about final drive update to 1991 K75

I'm looking at a 1991 K75RT and the ad states this: ""Bruno's" final drive and drive shaft installed at 28k". The bike currently has 37K miles. What exactly is this "Bruno" update/upgrade?

The OEM driveshaft and pinion shaft splines were subject to premature wear. Bruno's Machine (Bruno) repaired the worn pinion shaft splines and drive shaft splines by replacing them with a longer engagement area and also sealed the hollow space in the driveshaft to better retain the grease that was used to lubricate the splines. Without this modification I clean and lubricate these splines every rear tire change.

This would be a lubrication point (zerk fitting) in the u-joint at the front end of the driveshaft.

Bruno was (he's no longer in business) a Canadian machinist who figured out how to do this job, the u-joints last much longer when lubed. He may have been the only person in North America who did the work.

I never purchased this bike but it is up for sale again -- I guess he didn't sell it -- same guy for sure. It looks really nice. The guy is asking $4100, which is a bit high -- not bad I don't think. It has 37K miles with new tires 3K miles ago.

I don't need another bike but I've always wanted a K75. I would prefer an "S" model but I really like the color of this "RT". What do you brick guys think?

1991-BMW-K75RT.jpg

It has 37K miles with new tires 3K miles ago.

I don't need another bike but I've always wanted a K75. I would prefer an "S" model

Only 3,000 miles on the tires, but how old?
If it was me I would hold out for a nice S.
We thought our K75S bikes were great.
Never noticed any heat with our Ss but heard plenty of complaints of heat with the RT.
Since you live in the SW you may be happier with a S.

Durango Colorado.JPG

Last edited:
On 3,000 miles on the tires, but how old?
If it was me I would hold out for a nice S.
We thought our K75S bikes were great.
Never noticed any heat with our Ss but heard plenty of complaints of heat with the RT.
Since you live in the SW you may be happier with a S.
Thanks Lee. You're right of course . . . 3K miles on 10-year old tires isn't the bargain that it sounds like. I've heard that before, about the heat of the RT's -- thanks for reminding me.

I'm not that eager to buy this bike, but even in a big metro area like Phoenix, decent well-kept relatively low mileage K75's don't pop up often.

Are those his and hers K75S's? :thumb

Last edited:
This Lee agrees with the other Lee. Hold out for a nice S if you can find one.

You won't be happy with the lack of airflow behind the fairing of an RT in Phoenix. The fairing is too efficient for hot areas.

:dance:dance:dance

This Lee agrees with the other Lee. Hold out for a nice S if you can find one.

You won't be happy with the lack of airflow behind the fairing of an RT in Phoenix. The fairing is too efficient for hot areas.

:dance:dance:dance
Thanks! :thumb

One thing I am is patient. I waited a long time to find my other bikes -- I rarely buy new.

Back