• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

2009 12RT Don't Buy A Shorai Battery

This may be the next-to-last post on this... I did buy a Shorai battery, so too late for me if it goes bad. Sold by an indepemdent mechanic...who rides a R1200R. So, my question to Oldpilot: What kind of charger did you use? I.E, did you use a Shorai charger? And, if you did, and since you're not going to buy another of the batteries...wanna sell the charger to me? I know, I know, too many qustions for one
reponse...

Mac

'68, '86, one of those. :) At least I got the right digits, if not in the right order.

So it has been an SAE standard for 27 years now and BMW riders find it novel and troublesome. Sheesh!

I had to think what cars had computers back in 1968. My 1969 VW Fastback had one, but it was an analogue computer, so I got to thinking...I'd google it. 1983-86 means it's still been around awhile. I am kind of surprised they haven't moved on to other protocols that are faster/have more bandwidth as cars move a lot more data around, but hey, it works. :thumb

I had to think what cars had computers back in 1968. My 1969 VW Fastback had one, but it was an analogue computer, so I got to thinking...I'd google it. 1983-86 means it's still been around awhile. I am kind of surprised they haven't moved on to other protocols that are faster/have more bandwidth as cars move a lot more data around, but hey, it works. :thumb

If it works fast enough for the need - why bother with a different protocol? It's not only a software issue (the engineers understand CanBus talk) it's also a hardware issue - the receiver/transmitters on a mature technology are well understood and tend to get cheaper with time. There are newer protocols in the automotive world - but some of them rely on fiber communications (MOST-BUS) - which can't carry volts/current so it requires both a controlling fiber link, and also the electronic connections to things that do stuff. It's good for infotainment systems (my Porsche has it on the audio/GPS system because it has lots of bandwidth) but overkill for module control.

If it works fast enough for the need - why bother with a different protocol? It's not only a software issue (the engineers understand CanBus talk) it's also a hardware issue - the receiver/transmitters on a mature technology are well understood and tend to get cheaper with time. There are newer protocols in the automotive world - but some of them rely on fiber communications (MOST-BUS) - which can't carry volts/current so it requires both a controlling fiber link, and also the electronic connections to things that do stuff. It's good for infotainment systems (my Porsche has it on the audio/GPS system because it has lots of bandwidth) but overkill for module control.

I am used to dealing with the various flavors of ethernet, WiFi and other WAN protocols. When I read the article, it reminded me more of a modem style communication in some ways than something modern. Like anything else, it gets updated over time and sometimes superseded. I can remember broken ring and arcnet. :)

Well I put a Shorai in my RT almost a year ago and have found it to be great. Weight savings is noticeable and bike consistently cranks much faster than it ever did with the OEM. No need to use a tender either as I did with the OEM. So far for me, I'm sold on the Lithium battery.

Just ordered a New Odyssey PC680

$106.00 free shipping!

At 4.5 years on the Original and cold temps coming, better safe than sorry!

This may be the next-to-last post on this... I did buy a Shorai battery, so too late for me if it goes bad. Sold by an indepemdent mechanic...who rides a R1200R. So, my question to Oldpilot: What kind of charger did you use? I.E, did you use a Shorai charger? And, if you did, and since you're not going to buy another of the batteries...wanna sell the charger to me? I know, I know, too many qustions for one
reponse...

Mac

You need the shorai charger, but realistically you only need it to occasionally recondition, or put battery in storage mode. I'm over in Lexington if you wanted to borrow mine occasionally.

Have a good one,
Dave

Charger?

By all accounts where I live, the battery never needs a charger:). Even stored for long periods, this battery always is ready to go. Its in our '08KLR 650. Even IF you have parasite draw from your bikes computer/clocks or whatever, simply disconnect the ground and this battery will not discharge over LONG periods. A year and this battery is still full charge on ours:).

You need the shorai charger, but realistically you only need it to occasionally recondition, or put battery in storage mode. I'm over in Lexington if you wanted to borrow mine occasionally.Dave

Dave, the shop owner I bought mine from said using a standard low-voltage charger should keep the Shorai OK. I just figured since Oldpilot said he was never going to buy another he might have a charger he'd let go of. I know there is some parasitic drain from the clock on the GS, so
when winter REALLY comes to Illinois, I'll disconnect it from the bike... Still might look you up to borrow the charger. I grew up in Chenoa...

Mac

Dave, the shop owner I bought mine from said using a standard low-voltage charger should keep the Shorai OK. I just figured since Oldpilot said he was never going to buy another he might have a charger he'd let go of. I know there is some parasitic drain from the clock on the GS, so
when winter REALLY comes to Illinois, I'll disconnect it from the bike... Still might look you up to borrow the charger. I grew up in Chenoa...

Mac

Anytime. Just shout and I can probably scare up a cold beer to go with it. :).

Back