• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

'14 RT Side Case w/remote key fob

jyoung

My right side case will not open if it is on the bike. Once removed from the bike, it works per normal operation; the latch lever pops right up and opens the case. The lock itself seems normal as it will lock/unlock the release button properly while off the bike. Again, while on the bike, the side case is unopenable.

Anyone else seen or dealt with this problem?

Thanks

Does your RT have the central locking option?
If so, you either have to unlock the cases and the glove boxes using the button on the key fob or the unlock button on the right hand grip.

Does your RT have the central locking option?
If so, you either have to unlock the cases and the glove boxes using the button on the key fob or the unlock button on the right hand grip.

Thanks Bernie for reply. Yes, its the central locking option. The key fob and unlock button operate other locks properly, including the left side case. The right side case will not open unless it is removed from the bike. I assume there is some interlock mechanism that is used for central locking and it is malfunctioning?

Thought the issue might be more universal and known solutions discussed, but it appears I may be the only victim of the malfunction.

Thanks again.

Is it possible that the wire for the central lock for the right side case has been disconnected in the locked position.
With both cases removed, look if the locking pin is sticking up, next to the front mounting lug.
If it is, check from underneath to check if the wire plug has been disconnected.
With the cases removed, if you actuate the locking button on the right handlebar, you should see the pins stick up and go down.
Otherwise check with your dealer about either replacement for the motor, or remove the central lock motor and use the key.

Is it possible that the wire for the central lock for the right side case has been disconnected in the locked position.
With both cases removed, look if the locking pin is sticking up, next to the front mounting lug.
If it is, check from underneath to check if the wire plug has been disconnected.
With the cases removed, if you actuate the locking button on the right handlebar, you should see the pins stick up and go down.
Otherwise check with your dealer about either replacement for the motor, or remove the central lock motor and use the key.

For what it's worth, the problem is resolved. Disassembled the side case to access the mechanism. Found a plastic-on-plastic pivot point in the linkage that was not moving fully to the unlock position. The entire mechanism uses a light grease for lubrication, but this critical point appeared fairly dry. I used white lithium grease and a small brush to re-lubricate the pivot point and tested with just the mechanism only on the bike. It worked as designed and I reassembled. All appears to be good (for now).

Thanks for your suggestions and interest. Be safe.

Back