• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Pop up Trailers

Whats the best pop up trailers, quaility and price.

I liked my kwik kamp, made in myerstown, Pa. Carried all "she" needed. I towed it to oregon one trip, to california one trip, including up to independence pass in Colo and to alaska one trip. The first 1000 miles was real strange towing it, but after that I became use to it.
max
delaware

Every once in awhile, I wish I bought the Coleman I looked at in 1977. It was $1799.99 and for another penny, you got a Coleman canoe.

You'll have to look for a used Kwik Kamp since they aren't around anymore. Current designs use some of the ideas from the Kwik Kamp, which was a really good trailer. I have a Trailmaster, the Aspen Classic, that I am very happy with. Folds out into a king size bed with loads of storage in the lower section. One nice thing is the support bars are inside the camper, so when the wind blows the walls don't come bowing in on you so much. Also, it has a frame that wraps around the entire fiberglass body, some other trailers only extend as far back as the axle - and since fiberglass can distort with time, I see that as leading to problems down the road. I *highly* recommend getting a swivel hitch and the electric brake options.

http://www.trailmasterinc.com/

Hi, my brother and couple of his friends use Leesure-Lite Trailers. They set up and take down in about 30 seconds and supply ample interior space. Made in Canada and I don't know if they have dealers in the US or whether they ship to the US. Check them out here: http://www.leesurelite.com/

You'll have to look for a used Kwik Kamp since they aren't around anymore. Current designs use some of the ideas from the Kwik Kamp, which was a really good trailer. I have a Trailmaster, the Aspen Classic, that I am very happy with. Folds out into a king size bed with loads of storage in the lower section. One nice thing is the support bars are inside the camper, so when the wind blows the walls don't come bowing in on you so much. Also, it has a frame that wraps around the entire fiberglass body, some other trailers only extend as far back as the axle - and since fiberglass can distort with time, I see that as leading to problems down the road. I *highly* recommend getting a swivel hitch and the electric brake options.

http://www.trailmasterinc.com/

Saw the Aspen Sentry on display at the Chicago IMS....impressive.

A few questions:

Could it be towed behind an R1200RT, with two riders, without putting the engine/tranny at risk?

Who makes a hitch for the R1200RT anyways?

I appreciate the need for a swivel coupler, but how necessary are the brakes?

Thanks - Kevin

Last edited:
Hi, my brother and couple of his friends use Leesure-Lite Trailers. They set up and take down in about 30 seconds and supply ample interior space. Made in Canada and I don't know if they have dealers in the US or whether they ship to the US. Check them out here: http://www.leesurelite.com/

I've got one also. The dealer I used is Eagle Mountain Outdoors. http://www.mini-tent-trailer.com/

Nice camper, although the foam pad they sell for a bed isn't really worth it. Use a air bed. Very nice to be able to stand up and put your pants on every morning. You can also pack a ton of stuff.

Saw the Aspen Sentry on display at the Chicago IMS....impressive.

A few questions:

Could it be towed behind an R1200RT, with two riders, without putting the engine/tranny at risk?

Thanks - Kevin

I've never pulled a trailer with an R bike, but I've talked to a bunch of people who have and it can be done. The 1200RT has the horsepower, depends on the weights of the riders I guess and what you intend to haul. I believe the trailers are 300 pounds dry I tend to load it up with some heavy stuff (EZ up tarp, vending gear, folding tables, etc.

I've pulled my trailer for three years now and only just last summer hooked up the electric brakes - it makes a BIG difference! They are only meant to provide a little controlled braking, a properly adjusted brake controller will keep the trailer from jerking the bike, but it will keep it from pushing you too. They are highly recommended if you're riding in any hilly areas and in traffic where you may need to maneuver or slow down quickly. Its cheaper to add at the time you buy it too.

I've never pulled a trailer with an R bike, but I've talked to a bunch of people who have and it can be done. The 1200RT has the horsepower, depends on the weights of the riders I guess and what you intend to haul. I believe the trailers are 300 pounds dry I tend to load it up with some heavy stuff (EZ up tarp, vending gear, folding tables, etc.

I've pulled my trailer for three years now and only just last summer hooked up the electric brakes - it makes a BIG difference! They are only meant to provide a little controlled braking, a properly adjusted brake controller will keep the trailer from jerking the bike, but it will keep it from pushing you too. They are highly recommended if you're riding in any hilly areas and in traffic where you may need to maneuver or slow down quickly. Its cheaper to add at the time you buy it too.

Thanks. The kind of info I was looking for.

Is it summer yet?!

Thanks - Kevin

I have a Bushtec hitch on my RT, with a Fulton swivel on the coupler. Works very well. Dauntless also makes a hitch for the RT, which is a little less obtrusive than the Bushtec one, in my opinion. The websites for each company have good pictures.

I have a Bushtec hitch on my RT, with a Fulton swivel on the coupler. Works very well. Dauntless also makes a hitch for the RT, which is a little less obtrusive than the Bushtec one, in my opinion. The websites for each company have good pictures.

Thanks.

Any idea how much weight an R1200RT can safely pull?

Back