• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2007 R1200RT transmission output seal DIY?

What is the best way to clean out the housing?

Attachments

• 20150607_171647.jpg
    20150607_171647.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 92
  • 20150607_170731.jpg
    20150607_170731.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 94
What is the best way to clean out the housing?
A lint free cloth/available at Walmart/,a cup of gasoline 87 octane is good enough.Submerge the cloth into gasoline,and yust simply whipe it out.Please don't smoke at that time!!:wave

hibz

Digging up this old thread as this leak just cropped up on my former 2013 R1200RT (now my wife's main ride). Noticed oil weeping from the boot between the transmission and swing arm. It was hard to tell from the smell if it was transmission oil and so I took the right panels off and opened the trans filler to find it did look a bit low. I just paid the dealer about 3k miles ago to do the clutch, so they were the last ones to fill the transmission, so it is hard to know if they filled it to the proper level or not (or may have over-filled it....).

Anyways, I took the swing arm off and I found the missing trans oil as it poured out of the swing arm when I set it down. The seal sure does seem to be the source of the leak and I'm trying to figure out the correct part number to order. The diagram in the microfiche is difficult to interpret since it's looking at the transmission from the front and the back side appears to have two seals that go on it (labeled 2 and 3 on the diagram). It seems I want #2 which is labeled: SHAFT SEAL, DRIVE SHAFT - 17X28X7 (Part #23 12 7 705 085). The other option is #3 which is labeled: SHAFT SEAL - 25X40X7 (Part #23 12 7 705 087). Can someone confirm which is correct? I'm going to call the dealer tomorrow as well to see if they have them in stock. Ideally I can get it all buttoned up tomorrow.

On another note, I was amazed at how clean my drive shaft looks, considering it's got 88k miles on it. On this bike, I've never cleaned or lubed the drive shaft once and left it all sealed up (unlike with my 06 where you cleaned the FD side splines and lubed them every time). The boot looks good too, so I just need to get some of that good marine grease it looks like they used on there to make sure it seals up nice and tight again when I reassemble.

Here's a pic of the output shaft seal:

i-sz8pvLD-X2.jpg

Digging up this old thread as this leak just cropped up on my former 2013 R1200RT (now my wife's main ride). Noticed oil weeping from the boot between the transmission and swing arm. It was hard to tell from the smell if it was transmission oil and so I took the right panels off and opened the trans filler to find it did look a bit low. I just paid the dealer about 3k miles ago to do the clutch, so they were the last ones to fill the transmission, so it is hard to know if they filled it to the proper level or not (or may have over-filled it....).

Anyways, I took the swing arm off and I found the missing trans oil as it poured out of the swing arm when I set it down. The seal sure does seem to be the source of the leak and I'm trying to figure out the correct part number to order. The diagram in the microfiche is difficult to interpret since it's looking at the transmission from the front and the back side appears to have two seals that go on it (labeled 2 and 3 on the diagram). It seems I want #2 which is labeled: SHAFT SEAL, DRIVE SHAFT - 17X28X7 (Part #23 12 7 705 085). The other option is #3 which is labeled: SHAFT SEAL - 25X40X7 (Part #23 12 7 705 087). Can someone confirm which is correct? I'm going to call the dealer tomorrow as well to see if they have them in stock. Ideally I can get it all buttoned up tomorrow.

On another note, I was amazed at how clean my drive shaft looks, considering it's got 88k miles on it. On this bike, I've never cleaned or lubed the drive shaft once and left it all sealed up (unlike with my 06 where you cleaned the FD side splines and lubed them every time). The boot looks good too, so I just need to get some of that good marine grease it looks like they used on there to make sure it seals up nice and tight again when I reassemble.

Here's a pic of the output shaft seal:

View attachment 74371

the seal you need is the 25x40x7...it goes over the output shaft...the other one is for the input shaft on the slave cylinder side of the GB...the giveaway is the diameter of the output shaft...25mm

Back