• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

for airplane lovers

i-NRqghH8-XL.jpg

So, curious where the F-100 in the Thunderbirds livery is located?

Love to see that one someday.

Sort of an odd link to that bird for me...as a youngster in Phoenix our neighbor was a F-100 jockey at Luke AFB. And he took me for my first ever ride on a motorcycle, a BSA Rocket. Sorta changed my life...LOL

Cheers!

The F-100 in Thunderbird trim is at the Air Force Museum in Dayton, Ohio. Interesting that you mentioned Luke AFB. I was stationed there in 1967 working on F-100s prior to being shipped off to Vietnam in January 1968. Luke was also the first place I had the opportunity to watch the Thunderbirds.

803289361_thiwJ-L.jpg

I am on the left with my brother-in-law at Kadena AB on Okinawa in the summer of 1987. I was never one to carry a camera until my assignment to the Thunderbirds. Since then, I always carry one in my bag. By the way, great pics Steve.

Thanks Raptor02. I noticed that you liked the Udar-Hazy Museum also. By the way, I'm envious of your assignment. It had to be a memorable experience.

Thanks Raptor02. I noticed that you liked the Udar-Hazy Museum also. By the way, I'm envious of your assignment. It had to be a memorable experience.

Steve,

Yes, I had a fantastic visit to the Udar-Hazy facility and would like to return to see how they have progressed with their exhibits.

As for the assignment, it was a life changer. The people you meet along the way and my teammates made every day special. As a youth we lived on Nellis AFB and my neighbor, who was on the team during their F-4 days, took me to their hangar for a tour. That visit and the influence of my father, set in motion a goal for me to try to become a member of the Thunderbirds. It was a dream come true to become a team member myself.

Take care,
Joe

The F-100 in Thunderbird trim is at the Air Force Museum in Dayton, Ohio. Interesting that you mentioned Luke AFB. I was stationed there in 1967 working on F-100s prior to being shipped off to Vietnam in January 1968. Luke was also the first place I had the opportunity to watch the Thunderbirds.

Thanks for the info, that's one museum I'd LOVE to see...just don't get east of the big Muddy very often. But some day...

I was an impressionable young lad in those Phoenix days and would really have loved to become an Air Force jet jockey. Alas, having been partially blind in one eye for a year in my younger days prohibited that from ever happening. Sure loved to watch those guys fly those hot birds. A couple of years after that we moved to Fallon, NV. Watching the Navy and Marine pilots doing target practice on those remote bombing ranges was pretty fun too.

Thanks again! Cheers!

Hey steve, got any pictures of the army guys getting blown all over creation at last years Little Rock AFB Airshow? I was there and it was something to watch.....

Hey steve, got any pictures of the army guys getting blown all over creation at last years Little Rock AFB Airshow? I was there and it was something to watch.....

We missed that. We went on Sunday and my neck injuries got to barking and we had to leave before the Thunderbirds started. Hopefully, this year will be better. But, in any case it sounds like a good story. What happened?

Back