• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Country of Origin - - F650/700/800 Twin Engine?

vark

I understand that the F750/850 GS parallel twin engine is sourced from mainland communist China. (As apparently was the 1-cylinder thumper used in the G650 GS.)

I am trying to determine the country of origin for the parallel twin engine used in the prior models, the F650/700/800 GS models. Any information would be appreciated. Thank you.

Yes the twin F650, 700& 800 were made in Austria, which are all 800s. Not sure about the new F750/850.

I appreciate the replies. But with the conflicting info, I’m not convinced I have a definitive answer yet.

I do know that all the latest 750/850 GS models use a mainland chinese engine. I also know that the single cylinder 650 GS engine was originally sourced from Austria, then from Taiwan, and later from mainland china.

If anyone else has solid info on where the F650/700/800 twin engine was manufactured, I would appreciate hearing it. Thanks.

Edit: By “conflicting” info I was referring to a since-deleted post which indicated these engines were sourced from china.

Edit: By “conflicting” info I was referring to a since-deleted post which indicated these engines were sourced from china.

I deleted my post when I realized I was thinking of the G650 single bikes and not the twins. I did so because I didn't want the disinformation I posted, because I was wrong, to linger on the forum and confuse the issue. Sorry!

My 2009 f800gs engine was a rotax from Austria.

Thanks.

I notice when looking at parts/accessories for these models, there sometimes seems to be a model year-break at 2008-2013 and 2014-2018. Was there a re-vamp of these models, and did it include a change in engine source during later model years?

From Wikipedia:

"The F800GS was refreshed for the 2013 model year, and the F700GS replaced the F650GS. Changes for 2013 included: power increases of 3.0 kW (4 hp) and 2 N⋅m (1.5 lbf⋅ft) on the F700 compared to the F650; standard ABS on all models and twin disc brakes on the F700; introduction of optional Electronic Suspension Adjustment (ESA) and Automatic Stability Control (F800 only); new generation handlebar switches and controls; updated instrument dials and standard fuel/temperature gauges; smoke grey turn indicators and rear LED light; new front fairings and paint finishes; and lowered suspension available for the first time on F800."

There was NO change in engine source from 2007 to 2018. All Austria made. I am not sure on 2019 to now, F850/F750.

There was NO change in engine source from 2007 to 2018. All Austria made.

Thanks.

I am not sure on 2019 to now, F850/F750.

Correct. And my understanding is it isn’t even a BMW/Rotax design. It’s a straight-up Loncin engine designed/manufactured in mainland china. BMW fully outsourced it.

So what is your point?

In two separate posts to this thread, you stated that you were unsure where the 750/850 GS engines were sourced. In the very first opening post of this thread, I had already stipulated where those engines came from. You kept circling back to it as though there was some doubt. There is not. That is the point.

In two separate posts to this thread, you stated that you were unsure where the 750/850 GS engines were sourced. In the very first opening post of this thread, I had already stipulated where those engines came from. You kept circling back to it as though there was some doubt. There is not. That is the point.

Well said/hope that solves the problem.

Back