• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Increase horsepower!

Forty years ago I had a friend who worked for a company that made the hemisphere shaped roofs for grain silos. These metal hemispheres were pressed out of a single large sheet of steel. The press was large as you might imagine. The company used a lubricant so that the process didn't tear the metal. After having problems with the metal tearing in the press the company finally settled on STP purchased in 55 gallon drums which was applied with a mop. According to my friend, Mike, this solved the problem. Not recommended for wet clutch bikes, or much of anything else on a BMW, but great for silo roofs.

Sure but how much extra horsepower did they get? :wave

Nobody said the engine horse power would increase; just that horsepower measured at the rear wheel would increase. Maybe the claim on the can seems a bit farfetched but I don't read into it something it doesn't say.

However, you did read "rear wheel" into it. It only says increase horsepower.

However, you did read "rear wheel" into it. It only says increase horsepower.

Indeed I did because the chain attaches directly to the sprocket on the rear wheel and not directly to the engine. And when a person uses a dyno to measure horsepower it is almost always a wheel dyno measuring rear wheel horsepower. I have never heard of a bike owner removing the transmission to measure horsepower at the crankshaft.

Indeed I did because the chain attaches directly to the sprocket on the rear wheel and not directly to the engine. And when a person uses a dyno to measure horsepower it is almost always a wheel dyno measuring rear wheel horsepower. I have never heard of a bike owner removing the transmission to measure horsepower at the crankshaft.

And... The packaging clearly states that the product is intended for "driveline maintenance", so rear wheel, not crankshaft, horsepower is implicit in the claim. Whether or not this product is any more effective than its competitors I still believe would be difficult to prove.

Yes, we all remember when BMW's commercials proclaimed shaft drive was the only real alternative. Did they lie or just forget....Marketing.

It still is ... you don't notice them bragging about the chains on their lesser models.

They didn't brag about the $400 belt every 24K miles on F800s either.

It's of course assumed on the S1000RR ... no problem.

And you would also find comparisons between the horsepower "lost" by chain drive vs belt drive, which was once a hot Harley Davidson topic.

I really liked the belt drive on my former bike, F800GT. If you survey owners of that bike I think you will find the majority found its belt drive to be a significant factor in their purchase of the F800GT. I'm not an engineer but just one look at the insides of the u-joints, drive shaft and crown bearing implementation in my '16 RT made it clear to me that design must be a hog for chewing up HP to the rear wheel compared to belt. The belt in the F800GT was the picture of efficiency w/ the front and rear sprockets in the same plane as the wheel, turning in the same direction as the crankshaft rotation. So simple and elegant it has to be significantly better at transmitting more engine HP to the rear wheel. My fantasy dreamcycle employs a belt drive w/ a 50K mile recommended change interval.

55703.jpg

Chain

Back in the Ice Ages when I, was young Riding Triumph’s every month or so the chain would come off and left in a bath of Diesel Fuel. From turning the rear wheel on stand you always noticed it spun easier than when removed.

Ya gotta love the folks down in marketing. By almost accident I've been made aware of a sure fire way to increase horsepower. Other day needed to order a small RAM item, decided to get free shipping by ordering the "kit" for cleaning/lubing chain maintenance. Little did I realize the inherit aspects of using these products - INCREASE HORSEPOWER! It's right there on the packaging....

Now only need to figure out if it goes in the fuel tank or crankcase to achieve that "increase"? LOL!

Back in the Ice Ages when I, was young Riding Triumph’s every month or so the chain would come off and left in a bath of Diesel Fuel. From turning the rear wheel on stand you always noticed it spun easier than when removed.

Did it increase the engine's HP production?

Of course not but it easily could have increased rear wheel horsepower as measured by a dyno. We don't really need to revisit this whole thread do we?

Why not Paul? You're retired now. What else ya got going on??? :):banghead

Friedle

I couldn't find any loose or floppy chain GIFs but I'm still looking.

Here you go-

giphy.gif

OM

Of course not but it easily could have increased rear wheel horsepower as measured by a dyno. We don't really need to revisit this whole thread do we?

Ha Ha! We will until you admit the statement shown on packaging does not in include the words "rear wheel"!!!! :wave

Is it late fall or what? We all need to take a ride as soon as possible regardless of the weather or temperature. :burnout

E.

Back