• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Check Twice for Motorcycles

h2onutz

The only bumper sticker that is more foolish than "Check Twice for Motorcycles" is "Baby on Board". Neither bumper sticker has any effect on safe driving. I think the "Check Twice" sticker is just boosting that the driver rides a motorcycle. If the motorcycle community wanted to start a campaign that would have a positive effect, they should organize to affect legislation that would disable cell phones while they are in motion (with the exception of mapping services etc.). I know that this may cause an inconvenience to passengers, but, I think it's a small price to pay or the increase in safety. Texting and even talking on cell phones while driving/riding is one of the leading contributors to accidents. The same way Mothers Against Drunk Drivers organized to have severe penalties for drunk driving, the motorcycle community should organize against cell phone usage while driving. The two or three bucks that you would spend to purchase a bumper sticker would go to better use as a donation to such an organization.

Perhaps periodic retesting of all drivers to eliminate those drivers who are unable to turn their head/neck to check their blind spots for other vehicles might be a more workable start. Might also include those who must look through the steering wheel to see where they are going.

Seems sometimes like that might reduce road traffic by up to 70% in the OP's home state. :)

Friedle

Good idea, especially here in Florida. Except the State Legislators wouldn't want to spend the money to hire the personnel and build the buildings needed for the examiners. As it is now Florida has NO retesting requirements.

The two or three bucks that you would spend to purchase a bumper sticker would go to better use as a donation to such an organization.

Anything which increases the public's awareness of motorcycles is good. If you don't like the "Check Twice For Motorcycles" sticker, you don't have to buy one.

I see it in Airport Terminals; I see it in Restaurants; I see it on Sidewalks; I see it in Automobiles with astounding frequency; I see faces glued to cell phone screens. Occasionally discussions of Deer come up with the inevitable suggested solutions. Cell phones are like Deer, they are there, they aren't going anywhere and they both present a danger to motorcyclists, pedestrians and other motor vehicle operators. The only solution is to accept that fact and train yourself to be hyper-sensitive to their presence and ride defensively he says as someone plows into him in the grocery store isle, face planted into a cell phone screen.

Anything which increases the public's awareness of motorcycles is good. If you don't like the "Check Twice For Motorcycles" sticker, you don't have to buy one.

What he said ^

Good idea, especially here in Florida. Except the State Legislators wouldn't want to spend the money to hire the personnel and build the buildings needed for the examiners. As it is now Florida has NO retesting requirements.
Everyone calls for this kinda deal until they have to do/go through it.
OM

re: penalty for cell phone use while driving...given the number of violations I see, I'm curious how many citations are actually issued; i.e. are the cops taking it as seriously as we are? Not saying they aren't... just wondering. The consequences here in NY are stiff- but I have no idea what the likelihood of getting caught are.

Re: look twice- after seeing all those stickers AND once having an uncomfortably close callo while driving my cage- I now DO look twice. The sticker was a contributing factor in the solution for my close call...duh- I may not have thought of it myself.

The only bumper sticker that is more foolish than "Check Twice for Motorcycles" is "Baby on Board". Neither bumper sticker has any effect on safe driving. I think the "Check Twice" sticker is just boosting that the driver rides a motorcycle. If the motorcycle community wanted to start a campaign that would have a positive effect, they should organize to affect legislation that would disable cell phones while they are in motion (with the exception of mapping services etc.). I know that this may cause an inconvenience to passengers, but, I think it's a small price to pay or the increase in safety. Texting and even talking on cell phones while driving/riding is one of the leading contributors to accidents. The same way Mothers Against Drunk Drivers organized to have severe penalties for drunk driving, the motorcycle community should organize against cell phone usage while driving. The two or three bucks that you would spend to purchase a bumper sticker would go to better use as a donation to such an organization.

You're exclusion of mapping services baffles me. How is diddling with the Nav system or GPS different than placing a phone call? Both are a distraction.

BTW - have you ever had a pick-up or delivery from a freight line? If so, isn't it a bit scary that you can be emailing with the driver when they're driving? How's that happening?

re: penalty for cell phone use while driving...given the number of violations I see, I'm curious how many citations are actually issued; i.e. are the cops taking it as seriously as we are? Not saying they aren't... just wondering. The consequences here in NY are stiff- but I have no idea what the likelihood of getting caught are.

Re: look twice- after seeing all those stickers AND once having an uncomfortably close callo while driving my cage- I now DO look twice. The sticker was a contributing factor in the solution for my close call...duh- I may not have thought of it myself.

Well, I'm glad that this officer is taking is seriously... even though the person that he caught was not...

"Driver Cited For Hands-Free Violation Was Texting About Hands-Free Law"
[video]https://minnesota.cbslocal.com/video/4136642-driver-cited-for-hands-free-violation-was-texting-about-hands-free-law/?fbclid=IwAR0arKaD5mDL8WdTOEkOnrUYb8_sSyCpOCVlTP-8728INXWhj-m8yvX55aA&fireglass_rsn=true#fireglass_params|&tabid=a58826fa5077e77c&application_server_address=mc23.prod.fire.glass&popup=true&is_right_side_popup=false&start_with_session_counter=1&anti_bot_permission[/video]

Fifty bucks for a hands free violation? Yeah, that's really going to get someone's attention - not.

Where I live, the first time offender gets a $578 fine and 4 points on their licence. And the law is enforced to the point where I've noticed a reduction in the number of offenders.

Last edited:
Bad news in NY is the low penalty (plus BS "surcharge of around 100):
Fines have increased over the years and currently range from

$50 to $200 for a first offense,

$50 to $250 for a second offense within 18 months,

$50 to $450 for a third offense within 18 months, and

subject to a surcharge up to $93.

GOOD news:
Its 5 (count 'em FIVE) points on your license.

We as Riders have to remember to " Check Twice for Automobiles"
I think that is what killed Million mile rider Ardys Kellerman; pulling out in front of moving traffic and getting hit.
Look twice before pulling out or changing lanes is my mantra.

You're exclusion of mapping services baffles me. How is diddling with the Nav system or GPS different than placing a phone call? Both are a distraction.

BTW - have you ever had a pick-up or delivery from a freight line? If so, isn't it a bit scary that you can be emailing with the driver when they're driving? How's that happening?

I don't do it, but the Sync system in my 2019 Ford F 150 will read texts to me and allow me to respond by voice. I never have to take my eye off the road.

Well, at least there is a fine in some states. Arizona just signed a "no texting while driving" law, but it is not even going to be enforced until 1/1/2021! WTH?

I say, $1000 for the first offense, double that for the next one, and license suspension and vehicle impoundment if there is a 3rd. I am just sick of this crap!

Most recently I am seeing kids riding their bicycles with no hands on the handlebars so they can text with both hands...

Well, at least there is a fine in some states. Arizona just signed a "no texting while driving" law, but it is not even going to be enforced until 1/1/2021! WTH?

I say, $1000 for the first offense, double that for the next one, and license suspension and vehicle impoundment if there is a 3rd. I am just sick of this crap!

Most recently I am seeing kids riding their bicycles with no hands on the handlebars so they can text with both hands...

I like that idea. 1 grand. People remember that kind of hurt.

In Ontario

First offence: 3 days suspension and $1,000 fine
Second offence: 7 days suspension and $2,000 fine
Three or more offences: 30 days suspension, $3,000 fine and six demerit points

As far as I can see, it makes little difference in peoples behavior. I still see plenty of drivers texting. Texting has become a part of our culture. It's unstoppable.

In Ontario

First offence: 3 days suspension and $1,000 fine
Second offence: 7 days suspension and $2,000 fine
Three or more offences: 30 days suspension, $3,000 fine and six demerit points

As far as I can see, it makes little difference in peoples behavior. I still see plenty of drivers texting. Texting has become a part of our culture. It's unstoppable.

Even vehicular manslaughter convictions and wrongful death lawsuits don't stop it.

I'll shorten a long story.......

Not long ago, I saw a guy on a motorcycle try to answer a cell phone , while riding. It didn't go well, he did OK I suppose, but his dropped phone was no match for that utility truck..............:thumb

Back