• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Salty fog riders rally 2013

My wife and I are in the planning stages of a trip to NS and tentatively planning for the first week of September. So, we may be riding through while the Rally is going on. We're watching the weather and will only make the trip if it looks like it will be fairly decent. Our schedule is somewhat flexible so we can move weeks. What we are limited on is total time. So we are planning to trailer the bike from NJ to Maine near the border and set out on the GSA once we get in the area. We are currently looking for a spot to park the car and trailer. I think I'd prefer to leave them on the US side just to reduce any hassle crossing the border.

Hopefully, if the stars align we will get to meet up with the Rally attendees at some point. We looked at the 2012 photos and it looks like you know some of the right places to see.

Tom, email me any time (saltyfogriders@gmail.com) regarding your plans and we'll work something out for your travels in NS. - Bob

On Sunday I meet with Bob and Mary in MA as they were headed to the RA. I bought two Salty Fog T-shirts.
Mary - your artwork is great and the shirts are topnotch. It was a pleasure meeting both of you and look forward to going to your Salty Fog Rally.
Paul

We just got home. Great that you found us out on Cedar Swamp even though your technology made it a bit more challenging. We look forward to the two of you joining us in September! - Bob

Looks like I will be leaving on August 20th.

Plan on taking some time on the way east to visit New Hampshire, Vermont and Maine.

Will slab it back home (as much as possible).

The Stich I bought on ebay showed up last week. A washing and re-treatment and it will be good to go.

Have to whittle down what I'm taking. Took way too much to the RA and the UN rallies.

Started planning routes.

Plans always subject to change, and mine have changed. :cry

Perhaps next year? :D

On Sunday I meet with Bob and Mary in MA as they were headed to the RA. I bought two Salty Fog T-shirts.
Mary - your artwork is great and the shirts are topnotch. It was a pleasure meeting both of you and look forward to going to your Salty Fog Rally.
Paul

Paul, we just got home. Great that you found us out on Cedar Swamp even though your technology made it a bit more challenging. We look forward to the two of you joining us in September! - Bob

Now back from the RA and actively preparing for year 6 of the Salty Fog Riders Rally. Visiting (and partying) with many Salty Fog alumni over the past four weeks has been relaxing and fun but now we 'hit the floor running' to make year six even more enjoyable for participants (now really guests as well). Additionally, our Salty Fog Riders shirts have been enthusiastically received by both riders and non riders and have just about sold out. More being planned.

Today the temperature in Larry's River is only two degrees cooler than Miami! This year it looks like we will have two new options in Larry's River: 1) Mackeral fishing in the bay (hand lining) and 2) a tour of an off shore fishing trawler (not confirmed yet).

Shortly we will be posting The Menu . Some say that it is impossible to leave hungry.

Also this year PayPal looks like it may be operating for us. More on that later.

So, stay tuned. We still have room for riders wanting to attend but it will be limited to no more than 25. Come and relax at our Homestead and then participate in a leisurely paced tour of north-east Nova Scotia. Email us at saltyfogriders@gmail.com if interested or if you have any questions at all.

- Bob and Mary

..... about 1935 part of the Cabot Trail looked like this

...but, a lot has changed since then.

We look forward to seeing old friends again this year as well as some new riders joining in on this very relaxing, well fed and fun 500 mile/six day touring journey at a price unbeatable anywhere in Atlantic Canada!

Stay tuned for further information about food, events and places. As stated earlier in this thread: September 2nd (or, come early if you want to be part of the relaxing events on the Early Arrival Day of Sunday September 1st) and final ride day of September 6th. :lurk

IF INTERESTED PLEASE CONTACT US AT: saltyfogriders@gmail.com - Bob

This year we have connected with a local Larry's River Fisherman/Hunting Guide to offer, at a modest cost, a fishing/sightseeing option for those attending the rally. Jig lines (the old way!) for mackerel in Tor Bay and/or venture a bit further into the ocean's edge to catch both mackerel and pollack ( aka Boston Blue Fish). Go for the fish, the experience and great photo opportunities. The boat is an active lobster fishing boat with lots of room. Bring back the catch and we'll BBQ them up right nice. - Bob

This is the poster that he uses in his promotions. Even if you cannot make it to our rally, but would like to contact him (jennifer.damien@ns.sympatico.ca), please do so.

As mentioned in the above Ride Reports' references about the food, this is the menu. Oatmeal will be an additional option this year.

FOOD IS ACCURATE BUT DATES SHOULD READ SUNDAY SEPTEMBER 1, MONDAY SEPTEMBER 2 AND TUESDAY SEPTEMBER 3.

As most alumni would agree, when in Larry's River it is near impossible to go away hungry!
:eat (getting the free range eggs may not be possible this year but we're looking)

... and hand picked blueberries and black berries from our upper field

... and we bring it all together for something like this

The full package is: two days at our home in Larry's River; four days on the road.

NEXT: ALL THE COSTS INVOLVED :deal ..... A MODEST BARGAIN INDEED!

Going to a MotoGuzzi rally in Lavigne, Ontario August 22-25. I'm not sure if I'm going back home or just heading East toward Nova Scotia when it's over. I saw John and Ron at the National and also bumped into Ron at Lunatic Fringe in Alberta.
Those blueberry pancakes really look good. :eat

Going to a MotoGuzzi rally in Lavigne, Ontario August 22-25. I'm not sure if I'm going back home or just heading East toward Nova Scotia when it's over. I saw John and Ron at the National and also bumped into Ron at Lunatic Fringe in Alberta.
Those blueberry pancakes really look good. :eat

.... and they are again on the menu so bring that appetite! :clap Looking forward to getting together again. Will be back in touch with you (and others attending) by email. Stay tuned and ride safe. - Bob

:deal .... a real sweet deal....

Be sure and refer back to our Ride Reports and related materials posted to see how much you get with this deal. Still some room. If interested please email us at saltyfogriders@gmail.com and we'll get back to you quickly with more particulars and answer any questions that you may have. - Bob

Are we there yet?

Just about :clap.

Time is quickly approaching and registration forms will be sent out later today and tomorrow. Still room so if you are interested be sure and contact us with you email address for a registration form and related information.

See you then Tom!
- Bob

CORRECTION

NOTE: ABOVE CAMPING DATES SHOULD READ 3rd, 4th and 5th. (Riding days are 3-6) My apologies for the misprint. Still room for more participants..... :thumb - Bob

We've traveled all over and it is easy to say that the Maritimes is the best place to be in the world. Is it true that there are more centenarians in Nova Scotia than anywhere in North America? There is a reason, great people and a great environment. We are looking forward to meeting everyone in September!

Thanks for the endorsement....... although, like everyplace, we too have our regional challenges. Now, if we can just get the weather to cooperate this year then all is perfect. Also, come for the abundance of fine music and musicians. For example, this year again we plan on attending the musical theater at the Louisbourg Playhouse. We walk there from the Lobster Kettle restaurant ...... which we walk to from our campsite in Louisbourg. This year Jennifer Roland http://www.sfcelticmusic.com/jenniferroland/ and her band perform. Just ask Tom McGee about how good her musical performance is.

NOTE: Anyone interested in joining our week long 'rolling rally' please email us. - Bob and Mary

Last edited:
Salty fog riders rally 2013.....

......two weeks and counting. Beautiful weather so far and expecting the trend to continue. This year we have added a large front deck to the house and built a large 'fire pit', on the hill overlooking the river/ocean, to relax around before heading out on our four day ride. Still have room. GPS for Larry's River: N45. 13479 W061. 22540 (83 Eastside Road, Larry's River; 902-525-2733) Let us know at: saltyfogriders@gmail.com - Bob

Last edited:
Back