• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Packing Bike for Touring

everything but the ironing board

To help limit the amount of clothes taken here's a little trick my friend that had been touring and camping for 20 years came up with:

Set up your ironing board and load it with the clothes and toiletries you want to take. Now edit it down until you have a single layer on top of the ironing board. This is what you have room for so choose wisely. After a few trips you'll find the right mix.

We more-or-less live on the bike's all summer, usually leaving home for Branson in mid April and returning home after the rally at Sipapu in mid September. While on the road we spend a few nights at our kids/grandkids house every now and then, a few nights in motels, and mostly camp. When camping we cook.

My tankbag is my main "suitcase" with clothes and kit bag. It has a fanny pack on it which is my little "junk drawer" for insect repellent, pens, penlight, bottle opener, and all that little stuff.

My left Jesse side case has tools, air pump, air gauge, tire irons, bead breaker, jumper cables and a box with little bike spares and supplies as the bottom couple of layers, and then fluffy stuff like cool vests, rain gloves, an Aerostich windbreak (fleece) and my sandles. Additional clothes go in a Helen bag in the Jesse lid.

My right Jesse side case has a box of cooking stuff, the cook kit, and the stove in the bottom, with a 2 qt water canteen, my **other riding pants** and a thermos for coffee above that. My Gerbing electric jacket liner is in a Helen bag in that lid.

Winter cold weather stuff, my Big Agnes sleeping bag and air mattress, and a rain jacket are in a dry bag on the seat. The tent and Kermit chair strap on with the dry bag.

I have a Jesse medium top case with a built-in 3.5 gallon fuel cell occupying the bottom of the top case. My laptop, maps, riding gloves, caps, etc live in the topcase. Also I have glasses cleaner, 1st aid kit, Leatherman tool, and camera, etc which live in the topcase if not in a pocket.

If we stop to buy food before heading to a campsite I can relocate either or both of the Helen lid bags to the top of my topcase to make room for hauling foodstuffs to camp.

** I travel with my Aerostich Roadcrafter two-piece suit plus a pair of First Gear mesh hot weather pants. Either the First Gear or the Roadcrafter pants are on me and the other is in the right side case.

Last edited:
Packing

this might give you an idea of what we did....we learned we initially packed too much for the type of trip we took...such as tenting in campsites, using cabins and some hotels. Over packed clothing and some gear. We shipped some stuff back when we got to NY. We now know what to bring etc....if you are doing back country camping you will need more room for food etc.

As for clothes we brought a pair of shorts, cargo pants that are quick to dry and also can be turned into shorts, riding underwear, long sleeve T-shirt, 2 short sleeves t-shirts, socks both liners and a little heavier weighted ones, Keen sandals a light weight hiking shoes, sweatshirt for after the ride and cooler weather, pj bottoms:), a few pairs of real underwear, one bra, and of course our liners and 2 pair of gloves. Have a look and please feel free to ask any specific questions.

You will see what we packed on the first page of our RR.

http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?t=47909

this might give you an idea of what we did.... Have a look and please feel free to ask any specific questions.

You will see what we packed on the first page of our RR.

http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?t=47909

Thank you for posting, soph9. I was hoping you would reference you ride report here on the Women of the MOA subforum. I spent a lot of time reading it. You ladies rock. Thanks for sharing.
For those reading my post here, I highly recommend visiting soph9's report in "Ride Report".

regarding the cork screw....we brought a Swiss Army knife& Leatherman tool....good for wine too but we drink beer...:beer

At 68 years of age I find that the only way for me to be comfortable on a long trip is to pull a trailer. I road out to Shady Cove, OR after this years rally to buy a Bushtec trailer listed in the Fleamarket ads. This trailer allows me to carry what I want and will let me remove the top bag from my CLC. Tools, tape, etc go in the right bag and rain gear in the left bag. By moving tent, sleeping bag, air mattress, clothing, jet boil, air pump, and other items to the trailer weight is removed from the bike and it just feels and handles better. Since I ride solo a backrest for the front seat will be purchased for longer trips. The ability to lock your trailer and leave it at a campsite along with your tent and other gear allows you to enjoy riding the backroads, visit local historic sites, and in general enjoy the local scenery. I am planning on upgrading my suspension with Ohlins and now can get the spring / shock combination that best matches my bike sans trailer and the weight I used to carry that was higher than the center of gravity and affected handling. Ride Safe :usa :usa

I found that we did OK packing but I STILL took way too much in most departments. Planning on packing even less next time and see where that gets me. :) We did use the laundry mats a few times along the road and that helps some.

A couple of friends tow trailers and love them. They go on LONG distant trips and wouldn't go without one now.

Can you still get Ohlins shocks for a CLC??

They had Ohlins shocks at the 2009 Rally in TN that would fit the CLC. There was a Vender at the 2010 Winter Rally Camp Blanding, FL that sold after market rebuildable shocks that would fit just about any bike including CLC's. As I remember his price was maybe $200 less than I was quoted for the Ohlins.
Ride Safe :usa :usa

PS: I will get his name and address if he returns to the Winter Rally this coming January and post it.

Kelly - Check out Hyperpros from Klaus at EPM Performance Imports. www.epmperf.com His add is on page 25 of the November ON.

I ordered mine at the TN Rally, and have enjoyed them for over a year.

I use compression sacks for my tent, sleepingbag, and some of my clothes. It realy allows you to pack small.

P1010554.jpg

P1010556.jpg

P1010555.jpg

P1010559.jpg

A few more quick thoughts;

Keep it dry, small, tight on the bike and low CG. Thats about all you need to know. Become a "minimalist", because less is always better on a bike trip. Buy it on the road if you really need it or forgot it. Remember this too, YOU can always ship UPS/FedX something home, if you find it useless on a road trip. Many do! A National Rally, this is so prevelant to ship goods. Randy

This is a good thread as I need to redo my packing as I added a top box to bike and the Mags Bags I use to use for my camping gear and etc. will no longer work due to the top box. The Mag Bags wasn't made for my bike anyways. I normally tend to carry too much and need to still learn how to cut down on some items I carry.

Thirty some years ago when our daughter was 7 or 8, Voni was stressing about making sure everything was packed for a two week family vacation. Melanie, having had enough, and with the wisdom arising from "having been here before" we are sure, looked at Voni and said: "Mom, they have stores there too you know!"

Out of the mouths of children .......

Good one, Paul:)

I traveled with my Daughter too, on extensive bike trips and this is so true about the kids helping us figure it all out:). My eldest Daughter at 27 now, has become an experienced tourer in her own right on a F650, solo adventures under her belt across country. Best regards to those other ladies adventuring around the planet on two wheels. You'll never look back or ever feel the same again about travel:). Happy Trails, Randy:thumb:usa

Back