• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Need help with windshield bracket on 04 1150RS

PhilR807

Anybody have experience changing the windshield bracket like this? (I think I discovered the limit with a tall C Bailey screen and 20MPH headwind @80 LOL)

IMG_0529.jpg

I think I have to pull off the 2 side panels next to the instrument cluster. Here is the right side

IMG_0530.jpg

I took out the screws, but the plastic panel piece doesn't seem to come out without a lot of force pulling away the silver fairing lip on the right. The instrument cluster doesn't allow me to pull to the left. Is there an easier way, or is there a direction to pull it that works the best? I am afraid of cracking it if I pull to hard. Thanks for any suggestions.

Check the threads in the Similar Threads pane at the bottom of the screen. I didn't see anything right off, but I probably don't fully understand the situation.

Check the threads in the Similar Threads pane at the bottom of the screen. I didn't see anything right off, but I probably don't fully understand the situation.

Yes I did look through those threads. My bracket is definitely broke and I have obtained a new one. Since all fairings are different this is a RS question.

I've got a '94 R1100RS. I've had that panel off several times. It's been a while, can't remember any real problems removing or installing it. You may need a small slim flatbladed screw driver and gently pry the panel out. Put some tape around the blade so as not to scrape the paint off the fairing. Slow and deliberate is the speed of removal and install. Don't force anything. Plastic breaks easily. Good luck with your project.

Yes, you need to pull the two inner fairing panels. Remove the screws then beginning with the black panel that overlaps the other, lift the panel slightly at the innermost screw—the one underneath the L or R signal indicator, visible in your photo—and pop the panel inward toward the center of the bike while with the other hand helping the panel pop inward and away from the fairing. Sounds tricky, but it’s not once you’ve done it a few times. With those panels out of the way you’ll have access to the windshield mechanism. A bit of a pain to get at, but gee-I really miss my R1100RSL.

Best,
DG

Top panels

Just went out to garage to refresh memory, two Allen head bolts on each side front top, 1 bolt each side very back by tank and one right in middle in front of speedometer cluster this one goes through each faring piece they kind of snap together ( fit togeather ) so you need to see which one is on top and remove that side first
So 7 bolts on 94 1100RS do not think you have to remove two side faring panels but you might they do come off easily on my bike allows you to check other stuff
Thinking more on this I had mine off when I changed the speedometer so you also have to unscrew the adjustment knob bolt thing and remove so you can pull spedo cluster up don't remember if you unscrew knob with it locked down or when popped out do remember it was harder to reinstall than to remove.
Also if you want different bulb in headlight now is good time
Gt rider typed faster than me so do what he says if you still can't get them out look at speedometer cluster and pull it up

Last edited:
1100rs

Yes, you need to pull the two inner fairing panels. Remove the screws then beginning with the black panel that overlaps the other, lift the panel slightly at the innermost screw—the one underneath the L or R signal indicator, visible in your photo—and pop the panel inward toward the center of the bike while with the other hand helping the panel pop inward and away from the fairing. Sounds tricky, but it’s not once you’ve done it a few times. With those panels out of the way you’ll have access to the windshield mechanism. A bit of a pain to get at, but gee-I really miss my R1100RSL.

Best,
DG

If you really really miss your 94RS your welcome to work on mine anytime

GT rider is correct. Grab the panel near the tank, and pull it inwards. (BTW there is a small screw there holding it to the side panel) The panel has a lip which locks it under the side panel.
You also need to remove the speedo/tach, and loosen the headlight assembly. If I recall correctly, the bracket is wedged between the fairing frame and the headlight assy. That is why the headlamp must be loosened. It's easier to do with the front fairing removed, but it's not necessary. There are 4 screws that hold the headlamp. Do not over tighten on reassembly. The fasteners can be easily pulled out of the panels.

I've got a '94 R1100RS. I've had that panel off several times. It's been a while, can't remember any real problems removing or installing it. You may need a small slim flatbladed screw driver and gently pry the panel out. Put some tape around the blade so as not to scrape the paint off the fairing. Slow and deliberate is the speed of removal and install. Don't force anything. Plastic breaks easily. Good luck with your project.

Good idea on the tape, thanks.

Those panels seem to hang up right on the bottom corner where they meet the side and front section. I remove the side panels and remove that screw on the top corner that ties the front section to the tank, now one can pull the corner of the front section out a little so the instrument cover can be removed.

Back