• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Trans America Trail advice

rkasal

Unavailable for comment
Was just reading about this trail and it looks like fun from the pictures. What's the expert advice about this trail from those who have ridden it? Since it's mostly off-road through Utah, Nevada, and OR, I'd be taking the Funduro.

Was just reading about this trail and it looks like fun from the pictures. What's the expert advice about this trail from those who have ridden it? Since it's mostly off-road through Utah, Nevada, and OR, I'd be taking the Funduro.

There is a fine Airhead rider who did the Tennessee section of the TAT, last year. He enjoyed himself quite a lot, although he had one spill. No major damage, so it's all good. He was running his R100GS through a creek crossing and it was more than a little slick (rock with algae on it) so he ended up falling, sliding 8 feet, and doing a 180. Looks like a lot of fun, though. He mixed his trip with an advrider gathering and riding "The Dragon". His photos of his "It's All For Me" tour are here.

I know it's not the section you would be riding, though. There was a guy who did the Nevada/Utah/OR section who posted about it on advrider, but I've been unable to find it, so far.

Update: Found it! You'll have to search through, but he did some of the sections you are talking about. It's 12 pages, so not too much for you to search through:

link

There is a fine Airhead rider who did the Tennessee section of the TAT, last year. He enjoyed himself quite a lot, although he had one spill. No major damage, so it's all good. He was running his R100GS through a creek crossing and it was more than a little slick (rock with algae on it) so he ended up falling, sliding 8 feet, and doing a 180. Looks like a lot of fun, though. He mixed his trip with an advrider gathering and riding "The Dragon". His photos of his "It's All For Me" tour are here.

I know it's not the section you would be riding, though. There was a guy who did the Nevada/Utah/OR section who posted about it on advrider, but I've been unable to find it, so far.

Update: Found it! You'll have to search through, but he did some of the sections you are talking about. It's 12 pages, so not too much for you to search through:

link

Mucho thanks! Airhead riders are fine and I may go through TN. It's a beautiful state and I've been through it and in it a lot. Wouldn't mind seeing it by bike.

Thanks again.

My friend Stephen has made a couple of trips on the eastern portions of the TAT on a GSPD, and on one trip another friend joined him on a 'standard' R100 with knobbies fitted.

Here's his first trip:
http://www.stephenbottcher.net/photos/TAT2006/tat2006.html

If you have any questions for him, click 'feedback' on the site linked above. Stephen is a great guy and will probably be happy to answer your questions.

Ironically, I used to know someone by that same name. Well, the two fellow's that Veg and Josh provided had a little bit more of an adventure trip than what I saw in the magazine. I like it.

Thanks again!

Back