• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

BMW Test Facility

"the manufacturer can use the data to learn about how bikes are being used in different markets. Throttle data, for example, revealed that South African riders use the throttle the hardest, and North American riders the softest." :brad

Thanks for posting.

Indeed. But notice if you want to do long wheelies or big jumps maybe an old Airhead would be best because they leave no tell-tale computer records of your riding habits. Interesting how warranty claims or lawsuits might be impacted by a computer record. And folks think the internet invades their privacy.

Last edited:
Big Brother is already watching. A friend with a VW received a phone call from the service department of the nearest VW dealer; 80 miles away in Great Falls. This is not the dealer he purchased from and he has never visited them. The dealership called him to say that he had tire on his car with low air pressure. Think about this. Not only is the car reporting such data and VW monitoring it , they also have a system of knowing where the car is located and referred the action to the nearest dealer.

I drive a 2019 F150 Lariat. When I start it a pop up window comes up on the dash board video screen telling me that Ford Connect is on and I can opt out if I like. I am certain they know every time I burp or fart. For all I know I have voided the warranty and they have a data log of what I did to kill it. The app on my phone can tell me on a map where it is parked. It also reminds me to change the oil because I am unable to make that decision on my own. The truck chastises me if I leave it running and step out and also if I leave it idle too long. Thank God I have someone at Ford to help me with all these problems in my life so I don't have to think!:banghead

Big Brother is already watching. A friend with a VW received a phone call from the service department of the nearest VW dealer; 80 miles away in Great Falls. This is not the dealer he purchased from and he has never visited them. The dealership called him to say that he had tire on his car with low air pressure. Think about this. Not only is the car reporting such data and VW monitoring it , they also have a system of knowing where the car is located and referred the action to the nearest dealer.

My Chevy sends me a diagnostic report each month. It tells me if I have any codes, remaining oil life, if I have any recalls, how many times I brake hard, how many times I drive for extended periods over 80 (not sure if they bump that to 90 for western states) and even tells me my tire pressure.
State Farm will give me a discount if I share this info with them. That's not going to happen :)

State Farm will give me a discount if I share this info with them. That's not going to happen :)

It starts out as a simple "you can get a discount if ..." It will eventually progress to "We will insure you only if you ..." As soon as several major insurers, say State Farm, Allstate, Farmers, Progressive, USAA and Geico all take this position we might have little choice but to go along. Hopefully by then I will be too old to drive anymore.

It starts out as a simple "you can get a discount if ..." It will eventually progress to "We will insure you only if you ..." As soon as several major insurers, say State Farm, Allstate, Farmers, Progressive, USAA and Geico all take this position we might have little choice but to go along. Hopefully by then I will be too old to drive anymore.

I have a bad feeling it will not be long before they can get the info without my permission.

my wife's new Buick Encore has an actual "Black Box" in it. I had to sign a form that acknowledged that I had been told it was there. The dealership actually said that it was for monitoring driving and for warranty management. I also watched a YouYube video about a guy who bought a Corvette C7 from one of those online dealers that the buyer had to return because even though the car had less than 5000 miles, the warranty was revoked because of racetrack driving. Yes, it had a Black Box. He found out about it when he took it in to have something minor fixed, and found the warranty would not cover it. It will eventually be pretty much everything I am sure. Face it, if I was building cars or bikes, I wouldn't want to fix things that were the fault of the driver, not the vehicle... But I still don't like being watched!

Hope nobody concerned about all this “tracking” are on Facebook :whistle
OM

my wife's new Buick Encore has an actual "Black Box" in it. I had to sign a form that acknowledged that I had been told it was there. The dealership actually said that it was for monitoring driving and for warranty management. I also watched a YouYube video about a guy who bought a Corvette C7 from one of those online dealers that the buyer had to return because even though the car had less than 5000 miles, the warranty was revoked because of racetrack driving. Yes, it had a Black Box. He found out about it when he took it in to have something minor fixed, and found the warranty would not cover it. It will eventually be pretty much everything I am sure. Face it, if I was building cars or bikes, I wouldn't want to fix things that were the fault of the driver, not the vehicle... But I still don't like being watched!

On a return flight from Germany in 2002 or 2003, my seat neighbor was a BMW engineering department manager. He was traveling to Texas to appear in a liability case where the driver claimed the seat belt failed. Even at that time, the information that the driver had sat in the seat, started the car and never connected the seat belt was recorded within a "black box" system. It was going to be a pretty simple case for BMW.

From a different perspective, the "Black Box" is likely the place where the GS-911 or similar device finds the stored fault codes.

I have a bad feeling it will not be long before they can get the info without my permission.

As a Borough Council member, I can offer the "warped" perspective that this information could allow a municipality or state to eliminate all the manpower associated with traffic speed control. At the state level, that's a savings of at least $200,000 per patrol officer when you consider salary, benefits and supporting equipment cost.

So, my prediction is...........the insurance company is going to get the info because we can't afford police officers for traffic control

So far all of the vehicles I own are old enough they don't know **** about me.

edit: After reading this article I'm reminded of the author's son. It was on a trip to the CroMag rally I stopped in Montreal to see friends and was invited to a track day at St. Eustache (sp?) to use my buddy's KTM 640 on the track with a session on his Ducati 900. Back to Costa's 12 year old son...he was riding too and several times he blew by me on the outside of corners on the 125 he was riding, laughing and waving every time. Oh the joy I felt the one time I got him on the staights and blew by him like he was standing still! I forget his name but he was a good kid and was a good rider on the track even at 12 years old.

Last edited:
In the 60s it was Big Brother

Now it is in every thing! We all know and love our smart phones....and all the "free" apps we down load and use.....most are watching, reporting and selling our data.

Also your home "smart"devices are great miners and sellers of our info. Alexa, Amazon Primefire sticks, your ring door bell, any smart appliance.

A friend told me he was using his voice controlled Amazon Prime Fire stick to search for some movie he wanted with an old Mercedes in it. The next day he started getting lots of Pop Up adds from the local Mercedes dealer!!

So far all of the vehicles I own are old enough they don't know **** about me.

edit: After reading this article I'm reminded of the author's son. It was on a trip to the CroMag rally I stopped in Montreal to see friends and was invited to a track day at St. Eustache (sp?) to use my buddy's KTM 640 on the track with a session on his Ducati 900. Back to Costa's 12 year old son...he was riding too and several times he blew by me on the outside of corners on the 125 he was riding, laughing and waving every time. Oh the joy I felt the one time I got him on the staights and blew by him like he was standing still! I forget his name but he was a good kid and was a good rider on the track even at 12 years old.

Doesn't the Saskatchewan Gov't Insurance mandate the installation of a tracking system?

Now it is in every thing! We all know and love our smart phones....and all the "free" apps we down load and use.....most are watching, reporting and selling our data.

Also your home "smart"devices are great miners and sellers of our info. Alexa, Amazon Primefire sticks, your ring door bell, any smart appliance.

A friend told me he was using his voice controlled Amazon Prime Fire stick to search for some movie he wanted with an old Mercedes in it. The next day he started getting lots of Pop Up adds from the local Mercedes dealer!!

George Orwell was an optimist :eek
OM

All the new smart technology listens to you and watches you on all of the devices. That's why you get ads about things you were talking bout because your phone etc was listening. Part of why I keep a piece of tape over the camera on my laptop. We're trying to keep all the new smart crap out of our house except phones and tablets. I read a blurb about a Sonos device being used in a murder trial not too long ago. Thankfully all of my Sonos components are pre voice activation.

As a Borough Council member, I can offer the "warped" perspective that this information could allow a municipality or state to eliminate all the manpower associated with traffic speed control. At the state level, that's a savings of at least $200,000 per patrol officer when you consider salary, benefits and supporting equipment cost.

So, my prediction is...........the insurance company is going to get the info because we can't afford police officers for traffic control

HUSH your mouth! That rational may sound good from a govt POV, but it removes any on the spot recognition of exigent circumstances which a cop with half a brain could evaluate- And the "let the judicial system decide" attitude assumes that one can take the time for court, go through the pleading rigamaroll etc etc. Roboticketing is one of those things that sounds logical but in practice is a nightmare.

Back