• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Flooding in Calgary and southern Alberta.

martinph

Prefers to play
Anyone planning trips to Alaska. Alberta and BC need to check their routes carefully! There is severe flooding.
Trans Canada Highway is washed out at Canmore.
Maybe Ken or Ed can chime in and let us know about local conditions.

sorry to hear this. My wife and I were planning to go up that way either before or after the rally in Salem. How bad are the roads? Is the Ice Fields Parkway open all the way up>

I too;

Alaska and BC/Alberta routes for me after Salem. Thanks for heads up. A lot will change in the coming month, hopefully improving up there and routes open again. Whats the deal up there? Record rains? Ive not been watching the weather news that far North. Better start! Randy

Many road closures and restrictions in the area. Conditions will change daily I imagine as things improve.

Check here for the most current situation: 511 Alberta

I was through Calgary yesterday and the main north/south 4 lane highway through the city is okay for travel. As mentioned the trans canada highway that goes west to the mountains was closed (I have not heard if it has reopened) and I have been advised that many of the 2 lane highways we often use to avoid going through the city may have had some washouts and or bridges have been either destroyed or are severely damaged. Info will be available on the previously mentioned site.

I was through Calgary yesterday and the main north/south 4 lane highway through the city is okay for travel. As mentioned the trans canada highway that goes west to the mountains was closed (I have not heard if it has reopened) and I have been advised that many of the 2 lane highways we often use to avoid going through the city may have had some washouts and or bridges have been either destroyed or are severely damaged. Info will be available on the previously mentioned site.

Sorry I have been offline a bit lately due to both my line of work (telecom) and having massive repairs to infrastructure that the flooding is still causing and because I was one of 100,000 people who were evacuated from my home. My family was lucky since the Bow river stopped rising a few hundred feet from our house. I am still involved in ongoing repairs for customers.

You have already heard from Ed who I am proud to say is an awesome part of our city's first responder community who are working tirelessly to keep us safe.

As to the roads, previous posters have pointed out the main artery west into the mountains is still not fixed. The washout is quite large and water flows are such that they cannot be crossed with any kind of motorcycle or normal vehicle. Only time and lots of rock fill will repair this but work does continue 24x7. Google is your friend so search for Travel Alberta updates and 511 said above for more info. I am sure one of us will chime in when the Trans Canada highway is open again.

Last edited:
Ken, glad to hear your house remained dry. Good job keeping our communication infrastructure up and running, that's vital in an emergency. I never noticed much issue on the consumer end, TV, internet and phone service all kept working so we could stay informed Only issue was not being able to log into my billing account. Its back up today, so I guess I'll have to pay it now. :laugh

Annie and I just rode home to Montana from Dawson City. Had to pick our route a bit differently then planned.

The damage to Calgary, Medicine Hat and other communities is huge. I think you get a different perspective from the local TV stations. Hope the recovery is rapid and smooth.

Back